PDA

View Full Version : GB311440, First Reports

Bass Ackward
10-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Guys,

I wanted to get some information going from some of those that have started playing around with this design. I have never participated with group buy molds until this year getting in on the GB434250 and this 311440. Well .... both molds resulted in little quirks in the manufacturing of those designs that caused me to alter my intended purposes as to what I wanted the molds for in the first place. But I have subsequently found other uses since the dang bullets are just piling up every where. Just wait until casting season begins.

My wife wants to use cast this year for hunting. So I was also working on developing her a 2000 fps range load too. This has proven more a more difficult task than I figured. Nothing I was trying worked around the 1900 - 2200 fps area. (4759) If anyone has found something for the 06, please post replies.

I don't normally work in this velocity area in 30 caliber and certainly never did much experimentation when I had a one cavity hollow point mold in this design. So I ended up having to take the velocity up a little and it came right in shooting 5/8" - 1" reliably. The only problem now is that it is @ 2400 fps which is too fast for close in shooting. Which means that I will have to go back to impact testing and harden the mix a tad. Because my experience with 30 caliber is that bullets don't hold together well over 2200 strike velocities because of the small diameter.

So anyone else playing with this?

MT Gianni
10-02-2005, 12:28 PM
311440 from a blr 308 20"bbl 34.5 gr RL7 2368 fps 1 3/8" 5 shot group @100yds. This load is going after antelope in a couple of weeks. This is a 2 doe area in adition to a either sex tag and if they are within 175 yards I plan on changing clips and going with cast. It groups about 2 " lower than my 150 gr J-word bullets but drops like a stone per LY charts at 200 yds. Gianni.

45 2.1
10-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't normally work in this velocity area in 30 caliber and certainly never did much experimentation when I had a one cavity hollow point mold in this design. So I ended up having to take the velocity up a little and it came right in shooting 5/8" - 1" reliably. The only problem now is that it is @ 2400 fps which is too fast for close in shooting. Which means that I will have to go back to impact testing and harden the mix a tad. Because my experience with 30 caliber is that bullets don't hold together well over 2200 strike velocities because of the small diameter.
So anyone else playing with this?

John-
Harder straight alloy is not always better for what your going to do. Try cutting wheelweights half and half with lead and water drop them, then try your tests. You might get a surprise. Don't believe me, just ask Joe.

Bass Ackward
10-03-2005, 01:27 PM
John-
Harder straight alloy is not always better for what your going to do. Try cutting wheelweights half and half with lead and water drop them, then try your tests. You might get a surprise. Don't believe me, just ask Joe.

Bob,

I understand that is an option. The idea was to get an accurate loading so I didn't have to drink the milk to get the jugs. I used up my entire stash already this year. I just did not want to do any more impact testing if it could be avoided.

Now I know where that slogan came from, "Drink Milk". :grin:

But the lack of replies here either means no one this design in an 06. Thanks Gianni. But I am already in the same range. I guess I will keep trying. Just loaded up some more for this weekend, so I'll see. Tried some 4895 this time.