PDA

View Full Version : What is the specific brand and model hat worn by James Stewart?

Naphtali
04-01-2015, 09:21 PM
I have several western motion pictures starring James Stewart from "Winchester 73" through "The Rare Breed." These were all made in the early-to-mid 1950s except for "The Rare Breed" in 1966. Stewart appears to be wearing the same hat in all of them. Considering it took much hard use, I'm interested in identifying it.

What is the hat's brand and model?

Artful
04-01-2015, 09:57 PM
http://www.knudsenhats.com/jimmy-stewart.html

Jack Beauregard
04-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Artful beat me to it.

Almost all leading actors chose their own wardrobe in westerns and carried the same styles throughout their careers, from John Wayne to Glenn Ford, Tom Selleck and many others. Although I'm not into fashion (I mean, really :mrgreen:) it's actually fun for me to watch actors as they progress through their careers preserving the same style on which they settled at an earlier stage.

waksupi
04-02-2015, 12:38 AM
A good Jimmy Stewart story;

An old friend of mine, Malcolm Alexander did the statue of Jimmy for his home town. Malcolm called Jimmy several times asking him questions, and asking for photographs of different angles.
Malcolm was working in his studio shortly thereafter, and a car drove up and stopped. A tall man got out, got a suitcase from the back of his car, and knocked on the door.
Malcolm answered the door, and Jimmy said, I came so you could look at me.
He stayed for four days.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20085197,00.html

captaint
04-02-2015, 09:47 AM
A real American, that one.. Always been a big fan.

Hardcast416taylor
04-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Anybody remember the night Jimmy Stewart was on the "Johnny Carson Show" and read a poem he had written about a dog named "Bo"?Robert

Multigunner
04-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Stewart Granger's real name was James Lablance Stewart. When he moved to Hollywood they told him he would have to change his name because they already had a James Stewart.

RogerDat
04-02-2015, 04:52 PM
His Oscar was on display in the shop window of his parents store in his home town. Not your typical "vanity wall" display expected of a famous person. His service record is one that lasted through his retirement during the Reagan presidency. He flew combat missions in Europe even after rank and duty assignment would have allowed him not to. Essentially assigning himself to combat missions. He flew as an observer in at least one Viet Nam mission, without publicity or fan fare.

Don't think the man ever made a movie I did not like.

Bad Water Bill
04-02-2015, 09:57 PM
A little more on his military career.

"Having learned to fly in 1935, he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1940 as a private (after twice failing the medical for being underweight). During the course of World War II he rose to the rank of colonel, first as an instructor at home in the United States, and later on combat missions in Europe. He remained involved with the U.S. Air Force Reserve after the war and retired in 1959 as a brigadier general."

Need we say more about a REAL HERO.

RIP SIR

RogerDat
04-02-2015, 10:56 PM
Never mind his hat, we need more people that can fill his boots eh?

Bad Water Bill
04-02-2015, 11:19 PM
There were quite a few movie folks that volunteered at the outbreak of WW2 and also ball players as well.

And lets not forget the man born in England of English parents who spent countless CHRISTMASES entertaining the troops around the world.

BOB HOPE

willie_pete
04-03-2015, 09:09 AM
A little more on his military career.

"Having learned to fly in 1935, he was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1940 as a private (after twice failing the medical for being underweight). During the course of World War II he rose to the rank of colonel, first as an instructor at home in the United States, and later on combat missions in Europe. He remained involved with the U.S. Air Force Reserve after the war and retired in 1959 as a brigadier general."

Need we say more about a REAL HERO.

RIP SIR

Not to disagree Sir, but I think your quote was not quite correct.

Stewart made Brigadier in 1959, but did not retire until 1968. In fact, he flew a few combat missions over Vietnam in B-52's. Reagan put him on the Major General list on retirement.

And I agree, a REAL HERO

wp

Bad Water Bill
04-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Not to disagree Sir, but I think your quote was not quite correct.

Stewart made Brigadier in 1959, but did not retire until 1968. In fact, he flew a few combat missions over Vietnam in B-52's. Reagan put him on the Major General list on retirement.

And I agree, a REAL HERO

wp

Sorry for the mistake.

I just copied that from his biography located here.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/10/jimmy-stewart-was-a-two-star-general-in-the-u-s-military/

willie_pete
04-03-2015, 02:17 PM
No problem. I never believe anything I read and only half of what I see. :lol:

wp

gray wolf
04-04-2015, 08:45 PM
Never mind his hat, we need more people that can fill his boots eh?

Now that brought me to the keyboard, One heck of a statement :awesome:

oldred
04-05-2015, 10:39 AM
Anyone notice any difference between today's so-called celebrities and Stewart, Audie Murphy, and many others of the same era? Just a little bit maybe?

Of course that last part was pure sarcasm!

Sgt Red Leg
04-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Knudsen Hat Co. at GOLDEN GATE WESTERN WEAR . . . my family has six of the " Major's" hats and my sass shooting pard has two. Great hats and a great gentleman to work with. We are lucking in that we live about 45 minutes away from his shop !!

Sarge

dagger dog
04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Stewart Was in the 2nd Air Division of the Mighty Eight, the 445th Bomb group heavy a B24 outfit, based at Tibbenham East Anglia.

As a pilot he flew over 25 missions before he was threatened by his superiors of being busted in rank, none of the mission were "milk runs" as were the ones some of his fellow actors. He was a "100 percent" a regular Joe and treated all fairly.

Of course a Stetson would not have been tolerated, it wouldn't fit under a p*** pot.

waynem34
04-08-2015, 05:34 PM
https://fiftieswesterns.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/jimmy-stewart-and-pie/