PDA

View Full Version : Casting Chess Set

500MAG
04-01-2015, 06:29 PM
I found a Civil War Chess casting set on the Internet and decided to give it a try. They arrived from Ireland today. Much to my surprise, the moulds are made out of a heavy rubber. Don't imagine them holding too much detail over several castings. Any of you have experience with these?

fishhawk
04-01-2015, 06:32 PM
Actually yes have some other molds made by them for civil war solders and they hold up quite well. You may have to put in a vent line on some of them.

JonnyReb
04-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Thats the neatest thing i've seen in a long long time, got to have it. If you decide to go into production, shoot me a pm..otherwise, what does a set of molds like that cost apprx and where did you find them? (could google it but won't ) [smilie=l:

My stepfather is the worlds hardest guy to buy for and a lead chess set would be right up his alley. Chess is his only hobby.

What kinda board would best match up to a lead set?
thanks!

500MAG
04-01-2015, 06:58 PM
The name of the company is Prince August. Moulds for both sides come out to about $90. I just started casting them about 20 minutes ago with pewter. Smells like I set a tire on fire. Having a hard time getting the hat brim to fill out on the pawn soldier. I think I'll take fishhawks advice and cut some vent lines

Epd230
04-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Wait.

American Civil War Chess molds, made in Ireland?

That is un-American!

They should be made in China like everything else we use!

fishhawk
04-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Be sure to use some talcum powder on the mould faces and don't clamp them to tight between the recommended plywood pieces

500MAG
04-01-2015, 08:19 PM
Be sure to use some talcum powder on the mould faces and don't clamp them to tight between the recommended plywood pieces
They didn't say anything about plywood but that makes perfect sense. I think I'll cut a couple pieces and use bolts and wing nuts to hold them together.

fishhawk
04-01-2015, 08:28 PM
A small 3 or 4 inch bench vise works well also.

Blacksmith
04-03-2015, 01:22 AM
There are several companies that make molds. Modern ones are mostly made with high temp silicone rubber.

Miniature Molds Catalog
http://www.miniaturemolds.com/Casting-Sets-SALE_c3.htm;jsessionid=CB231218172F98E4FA7A85D0930 EBD35.m1plqscsfapp06

Dunken Company web site
http://dunken.com/Molds_c_26.html

CastingFool
04-03-2015, 06:26 AM
When I was going to college, there was a class I really wanted to take, Metal Casting. I had talked to a few guys that had taken it and they really enjoyed, plus got a chance to make a little money on the side by casting chess sets out of brass and selling them. They also had molds for mugs, etc. Unfortunately for me the class was offered from 2-3 pm, so I had a time conflict regardless whether I was working 1st or 2nd shift. So I never took the class. However, I was able to talk one of the guys into casting an ingot mold for me, out of aluminum. Should have had him make more.

fryboy
04-03-2015, 01:28 PM
somewhere in the lead/alloy section i posted a link to what i think is the same company ,anyways they listed the best alloys and melt temps etc here's a link to that olde threade

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?111828-Low-melting-point-alloys-melt-temp-chart

good luck with your chess set ! it's a game i used to enjoy quite a bit of

hoosierlogger
04-03-2015, 05:08 PM
I had a strange vision of boolits for the chess pieces. .50 for the king, .44 for the queen.....etc. lol

big bore 99
04-03-2015, 05:41 PM
I've messed around with metal casting some. The silicone mold blocks are easy to make from a 'master' piece and it allows release of some not-too-radical undercuts in part. For really fine detail one would use the 'lost wax process'. The master part would be hand sculpted from wax, then dipped repeatedly in a ceramic slurry , and the bake to wax out leaving a hollow ceramic shell. Then you could pour the melted metal inside and break the mold apart. It's only good for one shot unless you keep pouring the original mold with wax and repeating the process. They make unmachinable turbine blades like that.

leebuilder
04-03-2015, 06:38 PM
Alot of the same proceedures aply. Mould is warm it will cast better. Alloy must be on the warm side, them moulds will burn if it is to hot. Talcum powder in the mould for release agent. Lots of fun, still have my Prussian soilder set.
any question please ask.
have fun

Bad Water Bill
04-03-2015, 08:07 PM
ATTENTION ON DECK

After spencing countless hours of research here are some suggestions

Rio Grande (800)545-6566 has a silicone rubber available for this type of casting.

One of our own sponsors (Rotometal) can supply a low temp casting metal.

Not sure if it is still available but at one time I purchased a metal you could cast at 180 degrees.

AS YOU WERE

Clean sweep fore and aft.:bigsmyl2:

SWMBO wants that swamp cleaned up for the Easter party.

bangerjim
04-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Ultra low melt alloys are very expensive!!!!!! Check out Roto for Woods metal! I havea couple hundred pounds I was lucky to get for a buck a pound. Melts at 140F and no Cd in there! I use it for antique trim replacments/duplicating on my clocks and other antiques.

If you cast in those rubber molds, use Sn or Pewter. That is what they are made for...NOT our normal 700+F lead!!!!!! And pure lead, being too hot, is also too soft and will not give any detail and will bend easily.

So, there ya go, pardner..........cast away......with all your precious Sn for boolit sweetening!!!!

banger-j

captain-03
04-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Looking forward to seeing the results!!