PDA

View Full Version : Ok my eyes are old, sucks getting old

bruce381
03-31-2015, 08:51 PM
Was out last week at range and best I could do was about 2-3 inch at 25 yards various pistols and laods.

Any way I realized I was either holding the BUTT smashed into the rest OR i held it in my hand but NOT touching the rest, Also I'm not consitant with grip.

But is it best to rest butt on rest or in hand above rest? make sense?
Thanks
Bruce

Blackwater
03-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Keep the butt off the shooting rest/table. Guns of any kind kick away from any hard substance they encounter while the bullet is still in the barrel, and recoil DOES begin the instant the bullet starts moving from the case. And all us "over the hill bunch" have the eye problem. FWIW, I just got a pair of LPA adj. rear sights for my pair of Commanders, and they're at the gunsmith's now getting the slides milled for low mounting. The key is they have pretty wide, deep notches in the rear and the front shows light on either side when sighted to fire. The rear is a white outline and the front will have a white insert, since I see white best, particularly in low light. This has been a boon for me. I can SEE these sights, and even if they are fuzzy, I can align and "weigh" the proportions pretty darn quick, and get some reasonably good shooting done with them. This may or may not "cure" your eye problem, but it sure has helped me. Can't wait to get them back again. The low mounting should make them just a shade faster, since that's where I've always liked to see my sights, and tend to expect to find them there. All these little things mount up, and as we get older, they can work against us if we let them.

tazman
03-31-2015, 09:58 PM
Bruce381---I hear you. I started too late in life. I am just now getting to the place that I can approach what you just complained about.
My eyes are going also. I can no longer see anything like as well as I did 30 years ago. I do what I can with what I've got and keep trying to get the form right even if I can't aim properly any more.
I may need to break down and put optics on my pistols. I really don't like that idea but it may be in my future.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-31-2015, 10:01 PM
The butt should not smash into or down onto the rest. That is not the way it works when a pistol is fired from a rest which is often used to test accuracy. Start with the same consistent grip and use it all the time. Hold the gun so that the butt can recoil downward in the hand while you can rest your wrist or forearm on a small pillow or other support. Consistency takes quite a bit of practice; you don't usually succeed with just 10 shots or so. 2 inch groups for openers at 25 yards is not too shabby...its a decent start. Trigger control is essential and that takes practice too. If you know when the "let off" and or detonation will take place, chances are its a lousy shot. Watch out for anticipating the shot/recoil...that is bad. If you have already formed any bad habits they will have to be unlearned first. I shot BE comp for a long time and in the beginning I fought like hell to overcome some of these things before moving on. It took a lot of practice, effort and time, frustration and cussing so don't be discouraged at any point. Be patient, stick with it and good luck. LLS

zomby woof
04-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Easy fix. Stop shooting from a bench.

captaint
04-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Some of my best revolver shooting has been with my forearms resting on my shooting bag. Hands completely unsupported. Due to my old eyes, I tend to string a little vertically. Just can't get a sharp lineup of the top of the front sight & top of the rear. Just fuzzy, that's all. I have shot my best that way, anyhow.

ioon44
04-01-2015, 02:01 PM
I just turned 65 and have to deal with vision issues.

One thing I use is prescription glasses that have two different lens one focuses on the pistol sight and the other at about 25 yards. Shooting with both eyes open it works pretty well.

I also am using Truglo fiber-optic with green rear and red front this great for IDPA.

For bench testing I have a heavy piece of 3/8" plastic mounted at 90deg on a 2"x12" with a v notch to rest the barrel or front of the frame for an auto resting my arms on sandbags.

fredj338
04-01-2015, 02:15 PM
I find when bench testing, the butt needs to float or you get kickers. So I rest over the bags with my wrists on the bags. I also shoot a blended bifocal lens. I can still do ok to 50yds with irons on a handgun.

wv109323
04-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I find shooting with your forearms supported on a sand bag is as good as anything. Your grip needs to be consistent.
For the iron sights, if you don't wear eyeglasses go to an Rx and get a pair of reading glasses. Take a pencil along and hold the pencil out beyond your extended arm. The point of the pencil will be about where your front sight would be. Buy the strength to get the pencil point in focus.
Or if you wear glasses get a set of clip-on lens that has the right strength as above. Clip-ons are about $15.00.

Shiloh
04-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Get used to it.

I went to the eye doctor several years ago and complained I didn't see like I used to. He chuckled and said "And you never will see like you did when you were a younger man." He said his job was the slow the deterioration and to keep my eyes as good as they could be.

Night driving is a lot harder as well.

SHiloh

popper
04-01-2015, 03:15 PM
Most of the big-bore revolver shooters I see at the 25 shoot off-hand. One of the RO's does it with the butt on a padded 4x4. That said, 2-3" @ 25 is good for my SA, for me. I can't focus on front & rear but the glow front on my XDs is a great advantage. I practice point&click with the red laser pointer on mine, either hand, no glasses. If practice for hunting, get a scope or R.D.

JohnH
04-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Using Red Dots saved my handgun shooting.

whisler
04-01-2015, 07:58 PM
I couldn't see the sights on my RIA GI .45. I sent it to Dawson Precision to have a carry rear sight (taller with wider notch) and a matching height fiber optic front sight. Now I can see the sights much better. Used a pair of 1.5 diopter reading glasses instead of my bifocals and my shooting improved immensely. I'm 72 and my eyes aren't great either. Taking 20 mg. of Lutein daily has slowed my sight deterioration. (doctor's advice)

.22-10-45
04-01-2015, 08:15 PM
I feel your pain! Used to shoot IHMSA & took a few state championships..now I need either the Merit or Gehmann adjustable iris on my glasses..it does sharpen up those sights again! I always used to shoot my S&W .357, or .41 Mag. off sandbags..resting front of frame on bag..or supporting wrist/forearms..but when I try that with a S.A.A., impact is always low and left.

guicksylver
04-03-2015, 11:49 AM
One thing that helped me extend my handgun shooting (I am now 67) was a stick on adjustable optic for my glasses. B
Boy does it work !

The other thing that I noticed as the years progressed though my Bulls Eye League experience is that back lighting is the determining factor.

Light on the target NO Back lighting.

oley55
04-03-2015, 09:50 PM
I ordered a set of these EyePal patches last year. one for rifle and another for pistol/archery (slightly different sized aperture).

http://www.eyepalusa.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeEwVFAWME

I was about to give up on iron sights altogether, but not now. For me it's by far the best thing since sliced bread n canned peanut butter.

tomf52
04-04-2015, 11:10 AM
Take a piece of black electrical tape and punch a hole through it using a 1/16th in pin punch that has a good sharp, flat end. Find the spot on your eyeglass lens thaat you would normally look through when sighting your gun and stick the piece of tape there with the hole lining up of course. The size of the hole may have to be changed according to your specific optical needs, but start with 1/16th. This works like a charm for me. A supply of these homemade "tabs" can be stored and carried in your bag by sticking them on an old credit card or piece of milk jug. Can't get any lesws expensive too. If you have an old pair of glasses just leave them set up in your bag.

oley55
04-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Take a piece of black electrical tape and punch a hole through it using a 1/16th in pin punch that has a good sharp, flat end. Find the spot on your eyeglass lens thaat you would normally look through when sighting your gun and stick the piece of tape there with the hole lining up of course. The size of the hole may have to be changed according to your specific optical needs, but start with 1/16th. This works like a charm for me. A supply of these homemade "tabs" can be stored and carried in your bag by sticking them on an old credit card or piece of milk jug. Can't get any lesws expensive too. If you have an old pair of glasses just leave them set up in your bag.

that would most certainly be a lot cheaper. by pin punch, is this a specific tool or just a pin?

TXGunNut
04-05-2015, 01:38 AM
Easy fix. Stop shooting from a bench.

That works for me, I don't do well with a pistol off bags. I shoot offhand, one-handed classic BE stance with my SA revolvers and C&B revolvers. 45 Colt BP loads can be a handful but I'm good for a few cylinders full.

Cmm_3940
04-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Cheap HF leather punch with the various size punches will work. I use the Merit adjustable aperture myself. Without it, I have NO sight picture, just a fuzzy gray blur. About 1/8" works for me at most distances; you will need to find the hole size that works with your eyes.

oley55
04-05-2015, 03:46 PM
for what it's worth, the apertures in my EyePal patches seem to be both very slightly smaller and very slightly larger than 1/16". The pistol/archery patch is close to but slightly larger than 1/16" (but smaller than 5/64). While the patch for rifle is smaller than 1/16.

I did my guesstimate measurements using drill bit shanks. Unfortunately I do not have any bits smaller than 1/16.

Although I could (and have) used one size for both pistol and rifle, the clarity is certainly better when using the correct sized aperture for each (rifle/pistol).

Searching the internet I did find a 1.25MM pin hole punch (very close to 3/64"). http://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Metal-Pliers-Replacement-1-25mm/dp/B005P1UEK0.

Also found a 1.8MM punch which would be slightly smaller than 5/64". http://www.amazon.com/EURO-PLR-133-5-1-8mm-EUROPUNCH-Plier/dp/B0058ECKR4

If I were going to try a one size fits all, I would go with the 1.5MM (very close to 1/16") http://www.amazon.com/Beadsmith-Metal-Punch-Pliers-Sheet/dp/B0053SH4WG/ref=sr_1_4?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1428262373&sr=1-4&keywords=pin+hole+punch

added: after further review I am not certain these punches will work. in all cases they describe punching thru metal. no where was plastic or vinyl mentioned. so I do not know if they will cut a clean hole. thru previous experimentation anything but a perfectly clean round hole will create some distortion in areas of your field of view

SniderBoomer
04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
There's a new eye surgery, one that completely replaces the aged, hard, natural lens with some super-dooper new hi-tech silcon that is guaranteed never to go foggy and stay supple-soft, so our older eye-muscles can focus all thru the range of focus. In fact, many who had it done, are getting better vision in their 60's than an 18-year-old Fighter-Pilot is required to have. Seriously.

trouble is the £4000 per eye (UK prices).

I'd take a loan if I can get the courage to do it. My eyes push me away from scapels coming near them.. Any of you guys been considering this?

sglshotitis
04-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Get used to it.

I went to the eye doctor several years ago and complained I didn't see like I used to. He chuckled and said "And you never will see like you did when you were a younger man." He said his job was the slow the deterioration and to keep my eyes as good as they could be.

Night driving is a lot harder as well.

SHiloh

Re: night driving. For those who wear RX glasses/contacts and drive at night I suggest using a coating referred to as "AR" (anti-reflextion). I found it to reduce the glare of headlamps as well as street/advertisement lighting and absorb more useful light while driving at night. In my case, I wear contacts, I keep a pair in my vehicle for use at night and it makes driving more comfortable and I can see much more. I would recommend doing the same for those who are not old enough to have to put up with the RX factor. My night time glasses are "Plano" script (no RX) and are used just for driving.

I know that not all will jump on this suggestion, but I do not get along with eyeglasses as they do not provide me the peripheral vision that I'm used to so I wear contacts. At the age of 71 my RX is up to +3 but when I have to align sights they are sharp with the contacts. That has a lot to do with my OD who fits me. If you are willing to change over please inquire as to who is the best OD for contacts in your locale. Sometimes checking with an ophthalmologist (https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=opthamologist&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)(group) they will refer you an optometrist who is skilled at that. If you don't believe you would be comfortable with contacts and would be interested in the AR coating see if they can send in your glasses to add that coating. If not, the next time you purchase glasses ask for the AR. Another possible solution would be a set of clip on's (Plano) with the AR coating to keep in your vehicle. I hope this helps. Al

Blackwater
04-08-2015, 06:25 PM
That's a very good point about the AR coatings on glasses. I didn't get it last time I got a new Rx, and I'm sorry I didn't. The time before that I did, and it was a small but significant revelation to me. Good post, and all I can say is "Attaboy! Yer right!"

MtGun44
04-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Yes, getting old sucks. Eye issues are getting intolerable for me, need fixing.

Getting new lens in the right eye in a month. Spent a bunch of time discussing
with doc and techs. They both say the adjustable lenses will not give me the
best possible vision but can reduce need for reading glasses. Folks that want
to ditch glasses can do it, but at the cost of medium good vision everywhere.

That isn't good enough for me, but is for many folks. I want best possible
distance vision and that is with a plain hard lens and glasses. Planning to set
up to be slightly nearsighted, use weak glasses for perfect distance vision and no
glasses for computer and likely reading. Reading glasses for very close work,
say under 18 or 24 inches. They say I should be able to be comfortable
around the house with no glasses.

That is the plan, we will see how close they can hit it. Getting rid of glasses
is not a priority, seeing the best possible is the priority.

Geraldo
04-09-2015, 03:52 PM
MtGun44, let us know how it works. I can get by with glasses for now, but my day is coming. Like you I could care less what kind of glasses I have to wear, I want the best vision attainable.

bruce381
04-28-2015, 01:16 AM
Thanks for all the thoughts, yeah blended is in the works and or maybe shooting glasses (have to figue out how to get 1911 slide with sights into Kaiser office)

Anyway psitol shooting off bags for me is only to test a load or verify sight settings, but yeah front sight rear sight are all fuzzy.

brassrat
04-28-2015, 05:08 AM
I have a bag full of various cases of range eyewear lol. The "Eyepals" in one. I even met the old guy making them, twice. I could go on about vision, having a # of like 20/2000. Contacts are the way to sharp vision, according to my sister,who works at eyeplace and me. I do not know if this is just related to me or not, so YMMV. Anyways, at the range, one eyeglass case has some #1 reading glasses with Scotch tape on non-dominate eye. Best thing ever for cross vision and wanting to use both eyes. I have never used two eyes before and I'm 57. It is supposed to cure the problem, in time.

rintinglen
04-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Some of my best revolver shooting has been with my forearms resting on my shooting bag. Hands completely unsupported. Due to my old eyes, I tend to string a little vertically. Just can't get a sharp lineup of the top of the front sight & top of the rear. Just fuzzy, that's all. I have shot my best that way, anyhow.
I know every word to this song! Somebody has replaced all my front sights with ones made of felt--they sure get fuzzy.

prs
04-28-2015, 11:56 AM
I was born near blind and by His grace my dad was an ophthalmologist. He worked with me on corrective lenses and patches and patches with apertures and had his colleague do surgery for me when I was a toddler. I enjoyed slowly improving vision up into my mid 20's, at which time I was seeing pretty well. Of course, the slow decline of presbyopia has set me back some. But, sights were always fuzzy for me in youth, so I adopted scopes and and aperture sights early on. I was never much of a hand gunner, but if red dots had been around, who knows. I really like the green and red lasers for hand guns. The point is, you can adapt as Time marches on.

prs

dakotashooter2
04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
While my vision sucks I still shoot better with a finer sight than on most handguns. When I narrow the front sight on my Blackhawks I cut my groups in 1/2.

willie_pete
04-28-2015, 05:28 PM
A shooing friend is an optometrist; he made me a set of glasses with a diopter in my master eye that focuses at the front sight; problem solved.

wp