PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family -the training begins.

Silfield
03-30-2015, 11:00 AM
We got our new family dog a couple of months ago and the proper training has started.
She is a cross between a German Wirehaired Pointer and a Black Labrador and both parents are good working dogs.

Only problem is, because of her parents, when you throw a ball or a stick she doesn't know whether to point at it or bring it back!:D

skeeter2
03-30-2015, 11:23 AM
He's a good looking guy! What's his name?

Artful
03-30-2015, 11:36 AM
He's a good looking guy! What's his name?
I think he's a she - and she's a beaut.
Maybe you can train her to point until command given to retrieve.

Silfield
03-31-2015, 08:01 AM
Her name is Pip, not a very original name (our last dog was called Moose!) but she is a real character and great with our baby and 9yo son. She is taking to training really well as long as she knows that I have a pocket full of dog biscuits. Pip is the first dog we have had from a pup and is such a lot of fun to have around, a real addition to the family.
She loves to go to the range with me as well!

captaint
04-01-2015, 11:00 AM
That's a pretty intense look, right there !! What do ya want me to do now ??????

facetious
04-02-2015, 03:10 AM
We just lost our JR. last week. He was only 5 years old but he had that same look in his eyes. He will be training you if he is any thing our JR. Oreo.

Silfield
04-02-2015, 04:56 AM
Facetious,my thoughts are with you for your loss. We lost our terrier cross at the end of last year and the house just felt so empty without her about, she was such a good companion to the kids as well as us. I thought at the time it was probably a bit soon to get another dog but bowed to pressure from the wife and kids! Got to admit it was the right move thou.
Had a bit of a result yesterday-Pip had her first encounter with a deer! A Muntjac wandered out of a small copse about 25 yards from us and took flight. Pip was off the lead and bolted after the deer, I whistled and she stopped dead in her tracks, looked back at me and came back to heel. I wonder what she will make of the herd of red deer that walk through the fields at the bottom of the garden most mornings?

Beagle333
04-02-2015, 05:35 AM
She's a beauty! I coulda whistled until I passed out and my black lab wouldn't have turned around for anything until he had something in his mouth to retrieve.

Silfield
04-02-2015, 05:50 AM
Haha, A bit like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpONxJ7JSw

osteodoc08
04-02-2015, 09:08 AM
A handsome looking companion you've got there.