PDA

View Full Version : 434640 GB Results

hunter64
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone had a chance to try out the PB version? I got the GC version and I think I will remove the first 4 checks from the mold and leave two checked for the 444 marlin.

2 dogs
03-09-2008, 03:48 PM
I settled on the plain base version for my TLA 44 mag. Its a shooter. I am running it out of this particular sixgun at 1250 fps or so....its a rare sixgun so I dont want to red line it but still have plenty of power when I whack a critter.

Boomer Mikey
03-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with the GC version in my 444 Marlin but I think it can do better. I also got a few sub 1" groups with my 8" S&W 629DX Classic but the session ruined my Burrris 2-7 posilock scope.

The PB version was cut at Lee's maximum spec and won't get much use because of that so I think removing the GC shank may work OK but not as well as the PB design boolit if it was cut to the size desired.

The 640 series designs by 45 2.1 are outstanding, and the 462420 45-70 designs are outstanding as well. IMO the 381268-PB will be one of the best shooting 38-55 boolits available too.

I'm very happy with all of these designs and I'm going to ask Bob to add 360 and 454 versions to this series as well.

Are you listening Bob?

Boomer :Fire:

MakeMineA10mm
07-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Dug up this old one, cause I just had to share! :mrgreen: :drinks:

Got to cast for the first time in over a year on July 4th (truly, Independence Day!!), and ran some of Boomer Mikey's GC version of this mould. Here are the results:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=1034

and:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=1033

Now, I was running my soft alloy, and so I didn't make many, because they are just not "up to snuff" for higher-velocity loads. (I bought this mould mainly for my 444 Marlin to shoot them at about 2100fps...) I loaded them with 18.5grs of AA#9 in 44 Magnum cases to try out in the Marlin 1894 and Ruger Flattop. Now, I just need a little range time...

MakeMineA10mm
07-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Thought I'd throw in another comparison pic. I don't have the original Lyman Solid-Nose version of this mould, but I have a fairly-recently manufactured Devastator Hollow-Point mould, which is the same boolit design, but in single-cav w/ the hollow-pointing spud equipment.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=179&pictureid=1041
(Sorry about the slight out-of-focus. For some reason my camera wouldn't focus on boolits today...)

As you can see Boomer Mikey, 45 2.1, and Lee did a great job of making a close duplicate with some minor improvements.

I took some measurements and the OAL of the boolits is within .005" of each other. Likewise, the distance from crimp groove to meplat is within .005". All the other dimensions are quite close too. The only differences discernable by eye is that the forward drive-band on the Lyman is wider than on the GB, the GC shank on the Lyman is longer than the GB, and the lube groove is bigger on the GB than on the Lyman. Overall, they're DANG CLOSE!

These were cast from the same pot of alloy to make weight/size comparisons as valid as possible.

In finished form (lubed, sized, and GCed), the solid-nose version will go 290grs from my soft alloy, while the HP version will be 275grs. I expect these each to be around 5grs lighter with straight WW + 1% tin, which will be what I run after I get this soft alloy made into as many HPs as I can... :mrgreen:

redneckdan
07-11-2009, 04:27 PM
You guys scarred me for a second there. I thought some how I had missed out on 434640 group buy that is coming up.

knothead
12-11-2010, 01:41 PM
What would be a good starting point for this bullet in a SuperBlackhawk. I'm not looking to set any records just shoot it comfortably.

longbow
12-11-2010, 04:32 PM
I shot the PB version with some pretty potent loads through my .44 Marlin and got excellent results ~ best accuracy I have had from any boolit yet and no leading.

I also have Mihec's H&G #503 in PB and at 0.432" which gives the same accuracy and no leading in the .44 Marlin.

Longbow

MakeMineA10mm
12-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Longbow,
My Marlin 44 is becoming my favorite utility rifle. Heavy duty stopper, better than fair SD carbine, fun plinker, and decent hunting gun (within it's range limits, which isn't bad - better than a pistol or shotgun, which kill plenty of deer).

It loves these Boomer Mikey boolits, but it feeds and shoots my heavy Keith custom group buy mould great as well. I know some people have feeding issues with theirs, but you and I must have gotten lucky and gotten good ones!

longbow
12-12-2010, 02:45 AM
MakeMineA10mm:

Not so lucky here ~ lots of work!

My 1894 did not like the Lyman 429421 much at all. It wouldn't feed reliably and the barrel was oversize at 0.4315" so leaded badly when shooting the 0.429" as cast boolit.

Going to larger diameter boolits helped but did not solve the leading issues and feeding with SWC's was iffy at best.

Then I read on the Marlin owners forum about tight spots in teh barrel under dovetails so slugged my barrel and sure enough it was tight under every dovetail! I made up a lapping bullet and hand lapped the tight spots out... very, very slowly and carefully as there is not much depth to microgroove rifling! That solved the leading so I set about to modify the carrier since I became a proud owner of the H&G #503 SWC. It shot very well but wouldn't feed any better than the 429421. After much modifying of angles and troughs it feeds SWC's fairly well now.

But back to the 434640, feeding with round nose and TC designs is very good and the 434640 does shoot very well.

I want to do some expansion testing of the different HPs and solid in soft nose or soft lead bu it will have to wait some. I am very happy with accuracy though. And I do like my Marlin and now that it is feeding pretty much everything it is even better.

I wish I had gotten in on the Mihec 200 gr. too. Maybe next time.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Longbow