PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358665 Range Report

kalison
03-29-2015, 11:35 PM
Recently purchased the Lyman 358665 mold.

I am using hostpital isotope lead, somewhere in the 3-5% antimony range.

Mold has been great! My boolits are dropping at .358 consistently. They are almost 160gr on the spot with my alloy.

These have a slight bevel base, which I keep hearing is the worst boolit to ever be fired. which had me worried, well after the fact that I bought the mold.

I ran two batches. One pan lubed and one tumble lubed.

Now, I run low pressure. I load enough to make PF for IDPA. I didn't have access to a chrono this time out, I am assuming that it's about the same as all my other 158gr weight bullets. I will have to chrono this load soon regardless.

2.9gr Titegroup, 686 SSR, 10 yards is the set up.

I found this bullet/load to be very accurate and I noticed no difference with my pan lubed and tumble lubed in terms of accuracy, smoke or leading. Zero leading to be exact. If anything I found more wax in the barrel than anything else. LLA left nothing in my barrel, however I am pretty light on LLA just because of loading equipment mess.

Average grouping 10 yards was 1.2" offhand double action, hurried. Single action closed the grouping a little more with more time to be accurate. At 25 yards (which I don't shoot often because most of the time it's not required in IDPA, and in self defense it's a distance that could be a bad judgement call, legally) groups opened up to about 2.5-3.5". More than happy with that, though it's not my aim to be a revolver sharp shooter.

I really appreciate the bore riding nose, it makes my speed reloads just that much easier.

All in all, I really like this mold, they drop free from the mold consistently and shoots extremely well in my 686 SSR.