PDA

View Full Version : Good place to learn from

kfarm
03-29-2015, 11:28 PM
I have lucked into a Grizzly mini lathe and mill. It came with lots of tooling and I'm mostly ready to go. While not completely unknowable about machine shops, my life long friend owns one and I have watched him do lots of things and understand how things work. Mostly I don't have the hands on experience, it just has been easiest to just say Joe I need so and so. My question for y'all now, is there a good web site that has gunsmithing video, plans and ideas for me to play with? So far I have made a seating die to make 38 bee bopper shells ( a 38 with a tad of powder with walnut media and a cardboard wad) great for killing boring bees. And a bushing to fit in a shell holder to reduce the size so small primers don't jam up in the large hole. Just looking for things to build within my capability. Thanks

tommag
03-29-2015, 11:42 PM
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?

Maybe here?

garym1a2
03-30-2015, 08:18 AM
I made some stainless guide rods for Glocks and my brothers XDM pro on one from work. For Glocks I think I just turned down a 1/4-20 bolt. For the XDM I think it was a 10mm bolt.

For fun I also made a copper guide rod for a glock as its a little heavier than one made of steel.

I have lucked into a Grizzly mini lathe and mill. It came with lots of tooling and I'm mostly ready to go. While not completely unknowable about machine shops, my life long friend owns one and I have watched him do lots of things and understand how things work. Mostly I don't have the hands on experience, it just has been easiest to just say Joe I need so and so. My question for y'all now, is there a good web site that has gunsmithing video, plans and ideas for me to play with? So far I have made a seating die to make 38 bee bopper shells ( a 38 with a tad of powder with walnut media and a cardboard wad) great for killing boring bees. And a bushing to fit in a shell holder to reduce the size so small primers don't jam up in the large hole. Just looking for things to build within my capability. Thanks

Handloader109
03-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Someone posted this site a while back. May be some new things for you.

Tomstechniques.com

kfarm
03-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Watched most of Tom's videos, think he was a high school shop teacher. Does a great job, makes it look easy.

elk hunter
03-30-2015, 10:40 AM
If you have a local community college you should see if they offer machine shop classes. They can't make you a machinist but, you could learn at least some of the basics of operating your new equipment, then it is just application of that knowledge. Learning how to plan the sequence of operations so you don't machine yourself in to a corner that you can't get out of and then have to start all over comes with time and experience. Figuring out how to hold a part to machine it is another skill that comes from experience. The main thing is to think through what you want to do and then proceed. Enjoy!