PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullet Reloading

kbbgood
03-29-2015, 05:36 PM
I bought a couple boxes of 500 each, cast bullets for my 41 mag. and also my 357 mag. The thing is they don't say what they are other then wt. and swc on them. I am sure they are Keith style bullets but how do I know for sure and also how do I know for sure how far to load them and what load I should use with them? I have loaded for about 40 years and have never loaded cast bullets so I just am not sure about them.

pworley1
03-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Here is a good place to start. http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/reloaders-reference/cast-bullet-data-lookup

DonMountain
03-29-2015, 05:57 PM
My Lyman Third Edition "Cast Bullet Handbook" lists a bunch of loads for both of these calibers as does my Lyman "Reloading Handbook", 46th Edition in various boolet weights.

bangerjim
03-29-2015, 06:04 PM
The key is like you have always used in your past experience......weight & shape....to find the correct (or close) load data that is listed in all the CAST books. Personally I really do not care who desgined the boolit or whose name is associted with it! And the books will not list that gennerally.

Get yourself the CAST Bullet Book by Lyman. Your other books you own probably only list FMJ's and commercial jacketed designs and weights. I think Lyman is the best. Lee is next, but has a lot of FMJ info.

Have fun! Now you need to cast your own! And powder coat them.

banger-j

Slow Elk 45/70
03-29-2015, 06:14 PM
[smilie=1::cbpour:Welcome KBBGOOD, if you do a search on this site you should find plenty of info SWC boolits for powder to boolit weights. If you don't have the Lyman reloading manual...lots of info there and the Lasc site , their address s at the bottom of the page. Good Luck

theperfessor
03-29-2015, 06:25 PM
If they are SWCs intended for use in revolver cartridges then they will have a crimp groove. You can start there. Look the OAL when crimped in the crimp groove to be sure that (a) they are short enough to not stick out of the front of the cylinder, and (b) how that compares to similar weight bullets listed in a reliable manual.

If your bullets fall into the standard weight range for the cartridge involved there is a ton of data out there for cast bullets. I consider "standard" for .357 to be 125 to 200 grs and for .41 Mag to be 170 to 220 grs. With the exception of powders like 296/H110 it still makes good sense to begin with a starting load and work up.

scottfire1957
03-29-2015, 07:34 PM
You are a reloader. You have a scale. Weigh some. One question answered.

Refer to a cast boolit reloading manual. Online or on paper. Second question answered.

It's still just reloading. Nothing magical about a cast boolit.

Read here MORE and use the search. It has all been asked before.

Good luck. Have fun.