PDA

View Full Version : Turkey hunting in Nebraska

Wolfer
03-28-2015, 11:44 PM
Me and a buddy are planning on going to western Nebraska to turkey hunt this spring. We don't know where we're going exactly. We're planning on checking out some of the WMAs to start with.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Woody

Bored1
03-29-2015, 01:25 AM
I have no personal knowledge of great places for turkeys around here, however this would be a great place to start!

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/guides/biggame/turkey/BGturkeymaps.asp

Looks like mostly around the rivers. Not much help, I know, but it never hurts to call Game and Parks and ask. Alot of the guys are pretty bored during the day and are MORE than willing to chat up whatever you wanna talk about if you call. There's a Wildlife Management area located right outside Plattesmouth, just south of Omaha that the manager is especially chatty at!

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/mobile_apps/public_access_info.asp

Any of these guys I bet would be more than willing to talk your ear off!!!

Wolfer
03-29-2015, 08:51 AM
That helps. In all my searching I hadn't seen that map. I have called several agents in the areas I was looking at and I have to agree they have been very friendly and helpful.

freebullet
03-29-2015, 01:13 PM
The state is littered with turkey. I hunt them from one end to the other. Don't overlook stopping and asking permission on private ground, most farmers around here are nice folks.

The best advise I can give about turkey hunting in NE or anywhere else is to scout, talk to the locals, and listen for turkey. You almost can't go to the wrong spot if your within 1-2 miles of a river there are turkey, even in the city.

I was chasing turkey on public ground hard for several years. I'll share a couple notes-
1. Listen - turkey make really faint sounds in the wild. If you can pattern them by hearing them in the distance at a given time it will give you an idea of where/when to set up and call.
2. Watch - look for them when driving. Walk slow and stop often.
3. Don't call too loud. Everyone wants to call at full volume as if turkey make loud elephant sounds all the time. Turkey clucks in the wild are like a whisper ime.
4. Use locator calls. We have lots of hawks and turkey will make noise if they hear a hawk round here. This helps locate them so you can sneak in close and call tom. Much easier to call him 50yd away from his flock than to call him 300 yd away. Also doesn't spook them like an unrealistic turkey call, especially on public ground.

Good spots are anywhere you have water, permission, and sunshine.

s mac
03-30-2015, 01:10 PM
Just curious, are they the Merriam turkey's in Nebraska?

LUCKYDAWG13
03-30-2015, 01:23 PM
I can't wait for Turkey hunting my son got a nice one 2 years ago we got tags for first season this spring135489

Wolfer
03-30-2015, 07:18 PM
Just curious, are they the Merriam turkey's in Nebraska?

the true Merriam subspecies is found mostly in the NW corner of the state. There are merriam/rio and merriam/eastern cross over most of the western half.

This is what one of the Agents told me. My buddies that hunt around the center of the state claim to have killed Merriam,Rio,Eastern and hybrids all in the same area.

My info is all second hand so take it for what it's worth.
Woody