PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP Bore scope testing and use...videos

rbertalotto
03-28-2015, 07:02 AM
I've done extensive research on these little bore scopes. ALL of them are really not suitable for what we want to do. They simply do not have the proper focal length for the tight areas we want to look at. I had a Hawkeye that was simply fantastic and you could see the smallest scratch in a bore. But the Hawkeye was a Direct View device. You were actually looking directly through the fiber with your eye.......not a crappy , low resolution, 30 frame per second , video image. And the cost was 20 times what these Ebay cameras cost.

The best way to use them is with a bore fitting slug with a piece of white paper on the end. A thin piece of copper wire to push the "slug" along before the camera lens. The light reflects off the slug and creates the proper illumination some distance from the lense at the proper focal length. If you simply tape the copper wire to the camera end, you can slide it in and out for the appropriate focal length.

One of the cameras I bought came with a 45 degree mirror that was useless as it needed the subject to be about 2 inches away from the mirror. Might work OK in a 10ga Shotgun or a cannon!

I'm going to order a Lyman camera at some point and will report back.......

Be Safe!

Videos and still pictures here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/gunsmithing-reloading/bore-scope-1/

Echo
03-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Neato! Looks like something I might be interested in!

rbertalotto
03-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks!