PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Rile ammo while hunting

jednorris
03-27-2015, 08:33 PM
I use a M.T.M. ammo wallet to put about ten rounds in my daypack, and a long pill bottle to carry three to five fast rounds in my pocket. NEVER CARRY THEM LOOSE & DIRTY

largom
03-27-2015, 08:45 PM
I only carry what the gun will hold unless it is a single shot then I carry 2 extra, one in hand and one in pocket. If I miss my game with those I should'nt be in the woods.

Larry

03-27-2015, 09:02 PM
I usually hunt with a single shot. One chambered & a belt loop of 3 or 4. In my pack I keep some vacuum sealed in the event I need more. Keeps 'em clean, dry and together. That food saver is very handy to organize, preserve and protect stuff.

JWT
03-27-2015, 09:08 PM
I carry a Winchester 100, so 5 in the magazine and another 5 spare in an ammo wallet in my pack. I don't see any point in carrying more than that.

pworley1
03-27-2015, 09:27 PM
I only take what the rifle will hold unless it is a single shot, then a couple in the pocket.

tdoyka
03-27-2015, 09:35 PM
one in the rifle, two in the shirt pocket.

M-Tecs
03-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Depends what I am hunting. Normally I have three deer tags so I take ten. When I am shooting parairie dogs I take 300 to 1,000 depending on the expected shooting.

Blammer
03-27-2015, 09:54 PM
I take about 25 rounds with me hunting.

Nothing worse than wounding an animal because a twig/tree/whatever that you can't see deflected the bullet. Next is a few hurried shots to finish that miss, then your out of ammo an the truck is about 2 miles away. Hunting heavy woods can be that way.

pappy4
03-28-2015, 01:22 AM
I take 10. But never used more than 2. If I miss with the 2nd shot on the land we have here in PA its too thick to see after that.

phonejack
03-28-2015, 02:57 AM
Load the rifle, then four or five in a zip lock bag. That's more than I've ever needed.

Ford SD
03-28-2015, 03:43 AM
When I hunted Moose it was a 3-4 mile walk in to where we had the best luck in prevous years
if I had my 30-30 it was 5 in the tube, empty chamber and a round in each front coat pocket and a box of 20 in the napsack with my lunch dry socks and a camera and spare knife and matches,
if it was my bolt action empty chamber, 5 in the mag, extra mag in the coat pocket and a box of 20 in the napsack with my lunch dry socks and a camera and spare knife and matches

it was a min 10 mile walk and several days 12-14 or more round trip by the topo map
the rule was if you got lost walk south or east till you hit a road and get a ride into town, or back to camp
One year one of the guys got lost and we walked back after dark with colman lanterns, and had some one stay with the trucks to keep the lights shining in the direction we were so we could see when we came out ofter dark (at the end of the winter road )

Most of us used 30-30 or 308, if I was walking far it was the 30-30 i carried, walking around the edge of the logging cuts

Dan Cash
03-28-2015, 08:37 AM
The rifle will hold five or 7, depending upon the gun. There are ten in cartridge loops on my gunbelt. If I am on any extended hike or overnighting, there is more in my coat or vest pocket. One needs to be prepared.

leebuilder
03-28-2015, 09:36 AM
I travel light, the woods up here can be thick and the terrain is brutal, i try to avoid clear cuts due to the mess in them. It is law up here to carry matches, knife and compass,, i keep them with my tag in a vaccum sealed food saver bag. I fill the rifle and carry a spare stripper clip of ammo in a plastic bag, on the clip they wont rattle. I have not hunted with cast boolits yet but keeping them clean and pristine will require a proper box/carrier.
be safe

RonT
03-28-2015, 11:09 AM
I use a McKeever box for my 38-55, a MilSurp leather some-kinda box for my Cadet.
Cheers,
R
http://i60.tinypic.com/douij5.png
http://i57.tinypic.com/o6zdzt.jpg

dragon813gt
03-28-2015, 11:59 AM
3 in the magazine or tube. If I used a single shot I would carry two more in my pocket. My Grandfather taught me a saying about the number of hunting shots. One, got it. Two, maybe. Three, see you next year :laugh:

I've been fortunate enough to never wound or lose an animal. But w/ only one tag if I need more than three I'm doing something wrong.

butch2570
03-28-2015, 07:03 PM
I hunt hours away from a vehicle, and coyotes are very common, have killed several while hunting and coupled with the problem of the possibility of a fall and knocking the scope zero off, I carry a full box. The mountains here are steep and rugged with lots of laurel, nothing worse than being 2 1/2 hrs from a vehicle and shooting 2 coyotes and having to zero a scope in the field because you slipped on the mtn. and you only have 5 rounds on ya, I learned my lesson the hard way. My mag holds 4, keep a couple spare rounds in my pocket and the rest of the box goes into my zippered pocket in my backpack.

R8ed
03-28-2015, 10:27 PM
I keep the rifle on the back seat, the ammo in the glove box and hit them on the expressway.

With the single shot, one in chamber, one in the cuff of my glove. Five more in the cylinder at 3:00 under my coat.

RugerFan
03-28-2015, 11:53 PM
At a minimum 6 in a butt stock ammo holder.

Buck Neck It
03-29-2015, 12:51 AM
5 in the rifle, 5 on a clip. If this seems too heavy, I need to skip that after dinner sugar treat.

jhalcott
03-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Depends on what I am hunting. Deer I have a wrist or buttock carrier with 9 rounds plus a box in fanny pack.Ground hogs I have a 50round box and wrist or buttock carrier.

NVScouter
03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
I get a long way in there. Rifle malfunctions happen, scopes get dropped, magazines fall out while hiking, etc. For deer and antelope I get multiple animal opportunities also. I carry what's in the rifle and a few loose rounds in my pocket. Usually 2-3 in my shirt pocket for "top off" rounds and some in a more secure pocket. Some lint and dust wont hurt them or effect how they shoot. A pebble in the lube groove would be bad but how dirty are you?

clearwater
03-30-2015, 11:04 AM
1-3 big game loads in the rifle, 1 grouse load in my pocket, more of each in pouch, pack or vest.

Pig hunting (where you can shoot more than 1 and they might charge) I fill the rifle and have at least 20 rounds total.

ascast
03-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I carry about 10 slugs deer hunting, 5 in the gun and a box in my pocket, and 2 or 3 tags. I used to carry 15 I once shot a buck, spine shot,he dropped but was still a flight risk show I shot again. 13 shots later I jumped out of the tree stand and went over to finish him off up close. He had dropped into a small ditch like depression and only his skin and hair was above ground. I had cut hair or creased him 7 times and the others hit lower in the dirt. He could not have been better protected by a concrete bunker. #15 got him.
Somewhere along the way, I got a slug from a pocket or dropped one that was dirty. Now I have a huge scratch from chamber to muzzle in the slug gun. Now I use a zip lock bag for the extras.

Washington1331
03-30-2015, 04:29 PM
For rifle season, I carry a full box in my backback while still hunting. I figure that if I unload my model 70 and miss enough to empty the magazine... that is the Lord's way of telling me that bringing home the bacon/venison wasn't meant to happen on that one. Then I would just reload from the fresh box in my back pack.

When I started hunting with a single shot BPCR I found a ammo wallet at Wally-World for like $10. It attaches to my belt and holds 10 rounds. So I load on in the chamber and have 9 "second chances".

For muzzle loader, one in the chamber, and two fresh reloads. I bring at least a full can of caps (mine is a side lock) and change the one on the nipple after being caught in the rain.

rking22
03-30-2015, 07:43 PM
When I'm close to home, what ever the rifle holds + a couple loose in a pocket(if it's a single shot, make that a handy pocket)
If I'm hunting away from home, there will also be a 10 round plastic holder from a federal factory box in my day pack, with overnighting supplies. I like to get well away from the crowds and have been known to shoot a squirrel for supper.I pick up those ammo slides in the trash at the range, yep dumpster diving for brass!
Flint guns always have an extra flint, and cap guns get a new cap every day or more often if it's damp. So lots of caps in the pouch, new in a tin, onnes I take off go in another to be used plinking.
If hunting with a 22, what ever the gun holds and enough more (like a box of 50)to stop a rabid tin can attack :)

Swede44mag
03-31-2015, 09:45 AM
I put 3 in the 300 WSM rifle and another 10 in a nylon ammo pouch. 5 in the 6" Taurus Titanium Tracker 45colt 5 more loose in my left pocket.
I have had a chance to shoot at coyote with the pistol a couple of times they can sure put on the afterburners.
I will shoot at a coyote when I am deer hunting because they are deer hunting also and I don't like the competition for my venison backstrap's and steak dinner.