PDA

View Full Version : Found my own cast boolits at the range today.

Eddie17
03-27-2015, 04:36 PM
First time after the melt in NE, I was able to get to the berm at my local range.
Recovered some of my own cast bullets, along with piles of other bullets. Thanks out to all the good shooters at the club, all the bullets drop at the same place.

Schrag4
03-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Do you coat them some funky color or something? Perhaps you made your own custom bullet mold? How do you know which ones are yours?

frkelly74
03-27-2015, 06:18 PM
A man knows his own. I have run across some boolits in the berm that were the same Lee design but they were not mine. I could just tell.

bruce381
03-28-2015, 01:20 AM
I know my own kids right LOL

Shiloh
03-28-2015, 10:17 AM
Yours will be the ones that are still shiny if you get them the same day. I look them over and they still had lube on them after rinsing the dirt off.

SHiloh

DrCaveman
03-28-2015, 11:51 AM
I get a kick out of finding a boolit that i KNOW i havent shot in over a year on the ground next to my shooting stump. Must have finally knocked it loose with some shooting that day

Since, as far as i can tell, everyone else who uses that spot shoots jacketed, if i find i design that i know i cast/shot at some point, im pretty certain it's mine. Like said above, a man knows his own

Ive found a few other cast boolits occasionally that were defiitely not mine...but also get to go home with several pounds of jacketed bullets that are scattered about or stuck in the stump. One day ill bring the chainsaw and extract the 100 pounds that are buried somewhere in that sucker...

Eddie17
03-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Due to the amount of snow at the clubs pistol range, people that braved the cold only put targets out at 25' or so. No one walked out to the berm through the 2 to 3 feet of snow to place targets.
So with the snow melting away I was finding piles of bullets stopped by the snow pack just lying on top of the ground. These piles included some of my own place cast bullets.

leebuilder
03-28-2015, 01:03 PM
I cant wait till the snow melts where i have been shooting.
Teasures!!!

Neat how they are all together. Relativly untouched and shiny. Been using a 2 groove No4 hoping to see how they fill out the bore, and effect on the gas check.

.22-10-45
03-28-2015, 06:55 PM
At my clubs 100yd. range... just about any cast rifle bullets I find I know are mine since I am only 1 shooting cast..especially .40 BPCR bullets & .22 or 6mm with gas checks on them! At 50yd berm..more lead bullets, but these are mainly commercial..I can usually tell mine by lube grooves & especially .38 & .44 Colt hollow based!

nvbirdman
03-28-2015, 10:33 PM
I get the biggest kick out of finding a boolit that I melted the lead, cast the boolit, sized the boolit, loaded it, shot it, found it, now I'm going to melt it down and go through the whole process again.

Bigslug
03-29-2015, 12:05 AM
When you can pick up a scratched, mashed, and deformed lump of lead off the ground, look at it, and declare the mold number that made it with a fair degree of certainty. . .

. . .you might be a boolit caster.

Part of the fun of berm scrounging is the "archaeological" aspect of it. Every couple of thousand bullets I pick up, I find one from a guy that's making bizarre stuff even by my standards. I guess another part of the fun is leaving weird **** for the next guy to find.