PDA

View Full Version : Deer, Where new to go this year?

hithard
03-26-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm not able to go hunt Colorado this year, my partner there is fighting the bottle. Montana is great and it's always good to see family, but need something new. Arizona Coues with a bow is checked off too. Idaho was fun for years in the Owyhee valley. Wyoming is a great state that love's hunter's and lot's of land to play in, but it's time to venture somewhere new.

Anyone have any suggestions on a new adventure for a guy that like's to DIY, not afraid to pack in, spend day's on end in a blind or tree stand or just spot and stalk. I'm not looking for anyone's wall hanger hot spot, just a new experience.

Gun, bow, or muzzleloader it doesn't matter, the memory does though.

Thanks for any idea's

MaryB
03-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Northern Minnesota state forests are open to hunting and camping. Wolves have cut back on the deer population though!

starmac
03-26-2015, 10:38 PM
I always enjoyed hunting the gila in NM, but from what I understand deer tags are all the luck of the draw now. They always were pricey for nonresidents too though. It used to be a lot easier to draw out for bow or muzzy season for elk back when deer tags were sold over the counter, probably is with deer now.
The last time I was there, if you were willing to pack in, it was not hard to hunt the season without ever laying eyes on another person.

Lexluther45
04-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Come to Texas. Everything you could possibly want to hunt is here.

SeabeeMan
04-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Northern WI should be on this list as well. If you do decide to come up here and make it up to the Spooner area, I'll give you some pointers and buy you a beer. My family hunted out of a 16' square canvas tent with a wood stove for many years in the Chequamegon National Forest. Park a small camper just off of a logging road somewhere near public land and you'd be downright comfy. Depending on the time you want to spend, you could hit bow/crossbow, muzzleloader, and gun deer seasons all in 2 weeks.

fatnhappy
04-12-2015, 04:42 PM
We have plenty of deer in NY, some extremely large deer too. NY offers quintessential eastern deer hunting. Opportunities range from the mundane farm hunt in the back 40 to canoe hunts deep in the heart of the Adirondack mountains. I will not however, recommend that you spend a single dollar in this communist hell hole. I wouldn't want to see this government fed or supported by your license fees, tourist dollars or taxes.

Go to Wisconsin or Minnesota instead.
Don't feed the beast.

BTW, this is the buck outside my office window.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/Deerat515007.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/lhsjfk3t/media/Deerat515007.jpg.html)

blaser.306
04-12-2015, 05:34 PM
If you don't mind hunting E'M when they are all growed up! Come north to Saskatchewan. Sure there are 2-3 feet of snow up north during big game season and it might be 30 below with a wnd ( but it is a dry cold ) LOL . Lots of good people and room to move around!!!

Harter66
04-13-2015, 02:58 PM
You've 7 days to put in for Nevada . Lots of wide open mountains to hunt for days without speaking to another person . Big deer ,good Elk ,a shot at pronghorn, 3 species of sheep and mountain goats. This is the 2nd year that you can get an Elk tag paired with a deer tag in several areas. We have only 3 seasons plus an early late for the regular rifle season. It can be very weather challenging more than once I've left camp in a vest and chamois shirt and come back in a foot of snow ,I've left in a foot of snow and come back to mud and bugs too. Just black bears that usually see man and run ,mtn lions are an open season OTC tag . I also forgot about the bear season ,long season with a quota harvest so you have to call every morning.

snowwolfe
04-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Go to Alaska and hunt Kodiak Island for blacktails. No guide or outfitter required. Outside of our annual jaunts up the Koyukuk for moose the Kodiak hunt was the most fun hunts my son and I did together.