PDA

View Full Version : health care providers and handguns

lostchild1
03-26-2015, 05:26 PM
I've been lurking for years, don't post much because I don't know much. My wife has recently been placed under hospice care due to M.S. We have CNAs RNs and social workers in and out of the house at least twice a week ( up till now I've been her only care giver for four years she can't walk or stand). The RN and the social worker both saw a handgun in the house, they both wanted to look at it and talk guns. The RN is a hunter and the social worker wants to buy a gun. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks in advance lost......

gkainz
03-26-2015, 05:33 PM
wow! exactly the opposite reaction I was expecting when I read the title and story! :)

Bohica793
03-26-2015, 05:34 PM
My doctor goes shooting with me on occasion. Like everything else in life, not everyone is an idiot.

Smoke4320
03-26-2015, 05:38 PM
depends on where you live and who you meet ..
rural NC don't get much flack about guns.. go to Raleigh and you gut might get different answers

Mike in TX
03-26-2015, 05:49 PM
This is one RN who owns and shoots multiple guns, rifle, shotgun, revolvers and pistol. You might be amazed at the number of healthcare people shoot and hunt. About 50% of the nurses I know do and many of those who don't are interested in shooting.

pworley1
03-26-2015, 06:13 PM
I hunt with my Doctor.

Bored1
03-26-2015, 06:28 PM
I'm an Lpn, and there's a suprising amount of healthcare professionals that enjoy the shooting hobbies. Most that I know either enjoy shooting, hunting, etc themselves, or have no problem with it because someone in their family enjoys the same. The doctor I work for just recently got his son on the trap team at school, and most of the other doctors at work either hunt, or did when younger but don't now due to knee or back issues etc.

But then again in this part of the country hunting is pretty popular, along with all the outdoor sporting activities.

Ballistics in Scotland
03-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Working unusual hours must be a big help in hunting, and it is very unlikely that they will be put off by the thought of the necessary surgery once something is shot.

clintsfolly
03-26-2015, 06:41 PM
The island deer camp I go to is owned by a Dr. And one of the guys that come when he can is a Dr. Funny the last time I got hurt and needed stitches had I wait to get to the mainland as both had used and not replaced there kits. Guess I may have to get my own kit. Clint

shaune509
03-26-2015, 09:08 PM
My wife is a CNA and has done in home care, she had several clients that had guns in the house and often talked with them about guns and my collection, she also has her WA. CPL so no big deal there. My only concern would be if any care giver made a remark about the gun to the wrong person at the head office or state DSHS person, would it lead up to an issue with the agency or state coming in and removing the gun for safety etc. The state already does not like guns in foster homes, just my two cents.
Shaune509

richhodg66
03-26-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm sorry for your situation. Prayers for you and your wife.

A few years ago at our range, I was shooting a Ruger Super Blackhawk with some HOT loads. Well, #2 sone who was 16 or 17 at the time wanted to shoot it, didn't know what it was gonna be like and weak gripped it. Front sight gouged a deep divot in his forehead, he laughed and was getting ready to shoot it again when I noticed the blood. Looked deep enough I thought stitches were in order so reluctantly took him to the ER at Fort Riley expecting a bunch of stupid questions. Turned out the medic and PA who treated him were pretty avid shooters and enjoyed the story. Son was laughing about it by then, never did seem to hurt him much, just maybe his pride a little. Overall a very positive experience, he didn't need stitches after all.

kfarm
03-26-2015, 09:32 PM
Mostly I think its the part of the country your from with the attitude of gun ownership. In urban areas the guns are portrayed as bad, here in Arkansas you are either a responsible citizen with a gun or a criminal but we all got guns. That said I'm reluctant to say much around my docs since o'care has come into reality. Had a doc ask if I had a gun, I just said not anymore and left it at that.

MaryB
03-26-2015, 10:22 PM
I often schedule my doc appointment as her last for the day. Wait for her to finish paperwork then we head to the range and shoot together.

Lonegun1894
03-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Saw a surgeon with a familiar looking circular cut over his right eye today, just smiled and said "been there", and he started laughing. Like was said, some people have various interests, and others are sheep.

DLCTEX
03-27-2015, 02:06 AM
My daughter-in-laws both are amazing huntresses. One manages a large clinic and the other is an RN. Many of their female work aquaintences hunt/shoot also. One is in Florida and the other is working in Texas and Oklahoma.

fixit
03-27-2015, 02:28 AM
my wife is a home care nurse, and she recently found out that no small number of home care nurses are concealed carry licensed, due to the fact that, they have to go to some of the less desirable parts of town

bobthenailer
03-27-2015, 07:03 AM
I just started radiation therepy , and my radiolgist and his assistant are shooter's

About 7 years ago i had heel pain and went to a foot doctor for treatment , we ended up being shooting buddy's and have remained good friends since.

Wayne Smith
03-27-2015, 07:34 AM
I am a psychologist, we have at least four therapists who carry in the practice, one doc who would probably faint, and many interested. My doc knows all about my hobbies because I peridocally ask her to check my blood lead.
No matter the profession, it takes all kinds.

daniel lawecki
03-27-2015, 07:50 AM
My old doctor hunted and would shoot. My new doctor that's a no go.

500MAG
03-27-2015, 07:59 AM
I'm a Hospital pharmacist in Ft. Lauderdale. Several of the physicians I work with share my interest in firearms.

bullet maker 57
03-27-2015, 09:12 AM
My dentist is an avid bird hunter. Wish I had the time to hunt with him.

three50seven
03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
My wife is an RN, and she shoots with me and carries a handgun. My uncle, also an RN, hunts, shoots and reloads as well.

NVScouter
03-27-2015, 12:46 PM
I've been in Healthcare since my last couple years in the military and hands down educated people are gun people. Support staff/Administration can be more of an issue than providers.

The majority of my hospital here carries, and in the four other markets at least 10-20% I estimate carry on campus. Doctor and nurses carry rate is more like 30% in those markets.

Any major city has potential gang threats in the ED weekly. They have a tendency to follow victims in gang on gang crime back to the ED. The local PD respond but most hospitals have unarmed security and just go into lockdown. I have been in two active shooter situations in the last 5 years...both in healthcare facilities. Both after physicians who they perceived as having hurt them. The last one shot the provider and killed two office staff members getting to her before killing himself. Another former coworker was killed two years ago at our old small town hospital trying to diffuse the situation of a man wanting more drugs from his provider.

Many of our Home Health personnel carry also. Mainly since they are put in bad situations going to homes in unsafe areas or with unstable patients.

Its getting worse every year hands down. Carry and risk getting fired or risk getting killed.

Kraschenbirn
03-27-2015, 01:00 PM
I gave the doctor (now retired) who did my cataract surgery a hard-copy photo of a 300M group (10 shots into just over 6 1/2") from my Pedersoli RB shot couple weeks after he cleared me to resume shooting CF rifles. He framed it and hung it in his office among his collection of antique optometry equipment and glass eyeballs. My regular MD is a trap & skeet guy who drives a tricked-out 350Z and, not so long ago, asked me if I could recommend an instructor for Illinois CCW training.

Bill

akajun
03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
My wife is a hospice nurse, one of her patients mentioned he used to be a police officer and shoot competition . She told him I was the same . He then said he had some pistols he wanted to sell but he was reluctant to post an add as he didn't want strangers in his home in his health and had no kids. i ended up going with her one day and bought a nib 586 4" and a model 10" for a very nice price.

gkainz
03-27-2015, 01:44 PM
ya know, the worst part about hunting with an ER doc is every time I shoot something, he rushes in to perform surgery and try to save the critter! :D

j/k ....

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-27-2015, 02:06 PM
WOW, judging by the reply's here, I live too darn close to Liberal Minneapolis. :(
Nearly all the Doctors and Nurses I has talked to, are quite Liberal and mostly anti-gun ...as in they buy the AMA's line, uncontrolled ownership and use of firearms are a public health problem.

The AMA's official stand.
https://www.ama-assn.org/ssl3/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site=www.ama-assn.org&uri=/resources/html/PolicyFinder/policyfiles/HnE/H-145.997.HTM

lostchild1
03-27-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Up till now my experence has been with DSS ( they don't like any guns or knives in the home).

adrians
03-27-2015, 05:53 PM
my wife is a home care nurse, and she recently found out that no small number of home care nurses are concealed carry licensed, due to the fact that, they have to go to some of the less desirable parts of town

My wife is a home health care rn and she had the same reasons for carrying, in fact we moved away from the "big city" partly because of some parts of town she covered.
We moved to the country ,she transferred to another department now she is on call one weekend a month and has been out after midnight quite a lot, there isn't many populated areas but the drive from one patient to another can be well over an hour and miles from nowhere ..

She still totes her 642 in her purse....:bigsmyl2:

MaryB
03-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Twin Cities metro corridor is a lost cause!

WOW, judging by the reply's here, I live too darn close to Liberal Minneapolis. :(
Nearly all the Doctors and Nurses I has talked to, are quite Liberal and mostly anti-gun ...as in they buy the AMA's line, uncontrolled ownership and use of firearms are a public health problem.

The AMA's official stand.
https://www.ama-assn.org/ssl3/ecomm/PolicyFinderForm.pl?site=www.ama-assn.org&uri=/resources/html/PolicyFinder/policyfiles/HnE/H-145.997.HTM

DIRT Farmer
03-27-2015, 10:44 PM
20 plus years ago sometime after midnight there were several handguns on a shelf under the ER counter for a multi directional swap. No names to be mentioned because it was a fireing offence to have guns on campus.

One of the home health nurse that helped with my wife this Winter swaped days so she could show pictures of her and her son's deer to us.
Around here don't worry about the staff they are OK, its admin that is nuts and not just on guns.

Doggonekid
03-28-2015, 12:13 AM
My heart goes out to you at this difficult time. It is always sad to see someone you love reach a hospice situation. I hope and pray that the good Lord will bless you and your family. I couldn't recommend any guns with out knowing why they want them. Guns are a tool and you need the right one for the right job. But talking about guns has always been fun for me. It might take your mind off of things for a short time. Good luck with everything that lies ahead.

SeabeeMan
03-28-2015, 09:44 AM
As many have said, there are all types everywhere. My wife's doctor and mine, who are married, hunt turkeys on my land every year. His son really wants to try an AR so we are heading to the range with them next weekend so he can use one of mine.

jcwit
03-28-2015, 09:59 AM
My eye Dr. at the VA is a Bulls Eye shooter as well as a Rifle Smallbore competator.

During my last overnight stay at the VA Hospital the male nurse and I had quite a conversation regarding target pistol.

Big Boomer
03-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Sorry for what has developed with your wife. Hang in there. Prayers ...

I am a retired Minister with the Church of Christ/Christian Church. I met a dentist and his wife at a firing range years back who subsequently became members of the church I served at the time. He had an FFL and full-auto guns he allowed me to shoot. My regular MD knows about my boolit casting, guns and shooting habits and usually asks about those matters upon seeing me. The dr. who did my cataracts in 2013 is a gun owner and concealed carry guy. I loaded some ammo for him (.45 ACP & 5.56X45/.223). At my most recent visit with a urologist, he gave me an unopened box of rubber/latex gloves to help keep my fingernails clean from sorting wheel weights. He knew about and mentioned the absurd closing of the Doe Run lead mine (I think via the EPA). He and his wife are also shooters and asked about my private shooting range (out my back door and from the deck - 325 yds.) and out the basement door(25 + yds). Wanted my phone # and said he would be in touch about a shooting session. Seems like we may be gaining some ground among the professionals, though the tree huggers, owl kissers and general "do gooders" always seem to abound. Big Boomer

gnostic
03-28-2015, 10:49 AM
The answer's in the tall grass. Don't get chatty with people you don't know, unless, you're OK with a SWAT team at your door.

2wheelDuke
03-28-2015, 02:02 PM
I'm in Law Enforcement, but I pick up extra duty at the big Regional hospital here in my part S. Florida. There's a bunch of liberals that are convinced that guns are evil, sure. But there's some there that will surprise you. I've been hunting with nurses, had technicians come up and talk about taking their kids hunting, and had some doctors want to tell me all about their new S&W .500 magnum.

I was put in touch with another doctor who said he needed to have some old ammunition properly disposed of. This guy was born in the Caribbean, and I wouldn't expect him to be a gun owner. Turns out that he's got a nice Kimber 1911. He said he bought the ammo at a gun show, then it sat in his garage for about 5 years. He was concerned that it was no good. I told him that it's probably fine, but he insisted on giving it to me for disposal. It was almost 1,000 rounds of commercially reloaded .45acp 200gr lead SWC's. After some careful inspection, I disposed of it with my family, 1 round at a time downrange.

You'd think that the S. Florida mega metropolis is a liberal wasteland, but there's plenty of holdouts. After hearing about other places, I never realized that we actually don't have it quite so bad.

LUBEDUDE
03-28-2015, 04:27 PM
The OP's scenario would be no surprise at all here in East TX.

duckey
03-28-2015, 06:07 PM
Thats great, I was waiting for them to feel scared or threatened.