PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and Recollections on Physical Training and Life (09/11/2014)

nickeda85
03-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Below I have posted a piece I wrote 09/11/2014 as I was recalling the events of that day in 2001.
It pertains to weightlifting and training but I think the spirit of the writing may be understood on this forum.
Please comment if you would and let me know if similar posts may have a home here. Thank you.

Question…why do you train? The answer may not be as simple as it seems.
So, why do I train? The reasons are legion.
But…first and foremost I try and train for the day that I may need every last scrap of strength, conditioning, grit, and just flat refusal to lie down and take it. The day that could prove a life or death situation for myself or another. The day in which the need to rise above anything I thought myself possible of and get the job done. Period.
I love lifting weights and conditioning and even like that my wife thinks I look better for doing it. She may not completely understand it, but I hope to have gotten at least some of it across to her. There is nothing wrong with these reasons in my opinion but the ability to survive and help and protect others may weigh stronger than all the rest.
The day I began writing this is a very important day to think of such things. It is the anniversary of one of the worst terrorist attacks in the history of the United States. Just think for a moment, if you had been there when the planes hit the Towers, would you be up to the task of helping? Would your training? Or would you be found wanting?
A well known writer and iron athlete wrote in the months following 9-11 that he was at an airport when a security alarm sounded and all were told to evacuate. He helped a struggling mother and child by scooping up the little girl and the pair’s luggage and carrying them out. A small task in the doing perhaps, but they had no idea what may have been happening. This is the makings of a hero… being in the right place at the right time to make a critical difference and moving to engage the threat whatever it may be. Is your training up to the task?
I’m sure everyone has heard a story of strength that they love to recount. For me one of my favorites is a man my father worked with at a steel mill. This man lifted weights and was considered fairly strong by his coworkers. One day the man’s best friend was pinned beneath a red hot slab of steel. The friend’s screams were heard and the man nearly ripped the door from the break room, ran towards the source and in the process literally pitched aside a large floor fan (normally moved by two people) and a partially filled 55 gallon drum. Upon reaching his friend the man grabbed the hot steel and picked it up enough to drag his friend from beneath, suffering severe burns himself in the process. But in the end he saved his friend. Do you think his training played a role?
So…push yourself, make yourself better, stronger, bigger, faster, tougher, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Whatever your goal is, whatever reason you train, go out and crush it, not just reach it, annihilate it. You’ll feel better and thank yourself that you pushed so hard and others will notice and ponder and ask, ‘Why do you train?’

D. Nickel
09/11/2014

nickeda85
03-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I would like to thank all of you who viewed this thread and hopefully took away some good thoughts from it.
You can never be too prepared in life and I hope and pray we never see the day where our training (in whatever form it may be) fails us totally.
Given that there have been no replies to this post I will refrain from posting any more on such topics and opinions.
Thank you and God bless.

starmac
03-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Coming from a guy that was bucking 1000 bales of hay a day or better by the time I was 13 years old, the idea of lifting weights for free, just never appealed to me. lol

jmort
03-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Not every thread gets the attention it deserves. After a while it all makes sense here. Hang in and keep posting. I have never been keen on training after graduating from high school sports. Have walked/hiked a lot. Hopefully a very strong person will be around if needed to get me out of a fix.

obssd1958
03-28-2015, 10:50 AM
As jmort said - not every thread gets the attention that it deserves, or that we would like. There are literally hundreds of new posts each day, and trying to read each and every one of them would be a full time job!
Keep posting. You never know which word you write, experience you share, or bit of wisdom that you pass on, will be just what someone needs...

Don

WILCO
03-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Given that there have been no replies to this post I will refrain from posting any more on such topics and opinions.

I didn't reply earlier because the topic didn't interest me.
Came back only after I read the two replies. Ended up reading the OP and could relate to it's content. Caused me to think a bit, as I've been in a situation or two and was floundering physically both times. Still met the challenge head on and was successful.
In future posts, don't go all drama with a sign off like the above quote.
Sooner or later, all topics have a discussion.

snuffy
03-28-2015, 10:57 PM
I read the first 2 lines, said "that's not me or someone I could ever become." Now I see you've been discouraged by lack of response from a forum about boolit casting. It does not fit here, but it does NOT mean it was not a good thread.

I'm 69 years old, in poor health with degenerated discs, arthritis, prostate cancer, and just recently CABG surgery to fix blocked arteries. I could not even begin to do any strength training. Even if I could, I wouldn't, it's just not for me.

Follow up to CABG surgery is cardiac rehab. The last 6 weeks I've been on a treadmill, each week I have to progress to a higher level. All the while vitals are taken to assess how my heart is responding. Heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen saturation are taken before, during, and at the end. So far I'm doing great, right on the curve I'm supposed to be on. The best part is I no longer have chest pains or angina when I'm on the treadmill or the nu-step machine!:bigsmyl2:

jmort
03-28-2015, 11:25 PM
I thought my thread in Lead Alloy Sub-forum on Ancient Symbols for lead, tin, and antimony would be a big hit. Immediately thread drift. Thread ignored. I will add to it, but it is essentially a dud thread. Thinking about making T-shirts with the symbols. No one cares. Hang in there.

snuffy
03-29-2015, 03:13 AM
Another thing, notice that there are 255 views of your thread. That means at least 255 read some of the thread. Most likely most had nothing to say about it.

dtknowles
03-29-2015, 11:56 AM
I think the OP was a little too long and it made responding intimidating. I read it when it was first posted but could tell a thought full response would take me a bunch of time and moved on, sorry. Maybe try starting a thread with a simple statement or question and let the subject develop and then you can add your other ideas.

I was working out but have lapsed back to no gym time. Hope to start up again soon. I am less concerned about strength training and more concerned about endurance and cardio. My concerns about self defense or needing greater physical strength in case of an altercation are limited. I don't carry. I am always aware of my surroundings and the need to defend myself or others has diminished since stop hanging around the wrong crowd or maybe we just grew up. Every altercation I have ever been involved in, the use of a weapon would have been an over the top escalation. I am prepared to use weapons to defend my home. You can think that bad stuff can happen anywhere but then again you might win the lottery. You are lucky you like to work out. I hate it and always have, I make myself stay fit but I quickly get bored of whatever work out regime I am doing and have to take a break and try something else.

That just scratches the surface and already too long.

Tim

garym1a2
03-29-2015, 04:01 PM
Truth fully as you get older is when you need the strength training the most. They say as you age you loose so much muscle mass a year and strength training helps that lot. So you should also do some kind of cardio or your endurance suffers greatly. I see so many in the gun world that used to be in great shape and do nothing to keep it up. The option as you get old is poor health as a result.

quilbilly
03-29-2015, 04:08 PM
My goal with weights at my age is to be able to drag a deer up the hill and out of the woods while still being able to go out the next morning, uncrippled.

dtknowles
03-29-2015, 05:15 PM
My goal on strength is to be able to carry anyone I love at least one hundred yards. Seriously, I am 57 years old and am stronger than I have been any other time in my life. I am 5' 10" and now weigh 175 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been. I used to be able to run three miles and only stopped because I got bored now 2 miles and I am pooped, I don't know if it is the added weight or just age but I am going to get back to working on my endurance, not just running but with weights, I am not trying to get bigger and I already have low body fat. Just have to work on the not getting pooped part.

Tim

dtknowles
03-29-2015, 05:25 PM
So…push yourself, make yourself better, stronger, bigger, faster, tougher, physically, mentally, and spiritually. Whatever your goal is, whatever reason you train, go out and crush it, not just reach it, annihilate it. You’ll feel better and thank yourself that you pushed so hard and others will notice and ponder and ask, ‘Why do you train?’

D. Nickel
09/11/2014

The above is not consistent with my experience. I do not feel significantly better when I am working out and the two hours a night three times a week is not an insignificant investment of my free time. I know I need to do it and I will start again but your experience does not mirror mine. I am glad it works for you and you find it so rewarding and you should continue to urge others to follow your path because they may have your kind of experience. I will urge the others who share my experience, we need to exercise it will make us happier even if we don't notice it.

Tim

Love Life
03-29-2015, 06:21 PM
I enjoyed the read.

Rhou45
03-30-2015, 06:40 PM
While the OP post was about physical fitness, it can also be associated with what we do in the cast/reloading/shooting world.

His final question was "Why do you train?"

Why do you train on your casting skills, reloading skills, and shooting skills? What motivates you? What event are you preparing for that you do not want to fail at? What drives your spirit to be the best you can be at the task you have challenged yourself at?

You may not be as physical as another, but the skills you "train" at can be just as important, or more so. Physical ability, and knowledge are both very powerful tools. Be it book knowledge, weapon knowledge, or physical knowledge they all have a place and purpose.

Those of us that are self-sufficient have always found the niche tasks that we are good at that provide a benefit or service to others. How and why do you make yourself better at them?

Don Purcell
03-30-2015, 10:26 PM
60 yrs. old and have lost almost 30 lbs. since I retired 15 months ago. Been working out 3 -4 times a week and can tell a big difference. Every workout is ab work first. 100 crunches, 100 side crunches each side, 100 flutter kicks, 3 sets of 20 leg raises, 3 sets of 20 hanging knee raises, 3 sets of 20 Roman Chair sit ups then start my weight lifting. Also 30 minutes running on the treadmill couple times a week. Had knee surgery back in July and the doc said my running days were over but the treadmill hasn't bothered me yet but I'm careful. My dad always said if you don't have a good set of lungs you don't have anything. Weight lifting builds bone mass and the older you get the more you need it.

nickeda85
03-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Rhou 45, you hit the nail on the head as to why I posted this piece. It was collecting dust on my PC and I thought someone may get something out of it, not just regarding physical training.

I am very glad to hear that it has kickstarted a few people's thinking and enjoy reading about your experiences.
My own training lately has mostly been cutting firewood, w/ ax and bow saw, for my little girl's b-day bonfire. (The part last Sunday was good but we were glad for the fire.)
I have weights but my favorite go-to is my sledgehammers.
Have to say after a couple hrs swinging an ax or a couple rounds of swinging hammers it sure brings out respect for the oldtimers (and not so old) who made their living with these tools. John Henry and Paul Bunyan may be tall tales but these stories are rooted in hardworking miners, railway builders, and lumberjacks who were no slouches when it came to strength and toughness.

My training with my firearms is where I need much more practice. Work and family leave little 'free' time and as some have said this time is expensive.
Hope you all have a wonderful day, Spring is on its way here and supposed to hit 70 today. :drinks:

snuffy
03-31-2015, 10:05 AM
After much thought, I must admit that right now I am "training". It's required after the CABG surgery, the VA is paying for it, so why not?

What I do notice is I'm in competition with my self. Constantly challenging my self to push harder. I have progressed over the last 7 weeks, and my chart shows it. The cute nurses that run it are happy with my progress.

I have #2 diabetes. The nerve neuropathy (http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=CL3VK96IaVY6hGbKksAf6rYGgCfOi9MYGw6ejgp8BgO-NNAgAEAEgyPjKDCgDYMnW3o38pMwUyAEByAMbqgQmT9DLSS4ss i6FzsSTT31nzJFjAHHR69LVn9C82ofS2ayf92C6BbOAB5vbnDK QBwGoB6a-G9gHAQ&sig=AOD64_2kFcxczxTvsq5H_nIIvKiy34r88w&adurl=http://clicktracking.yellowbook.com/trackingenginewebapp/tracking.html%3FMB_ID%3D75803%26SE_ID%3D2%26AG_ID% 3D839795%26AD_ID%3D2058178%26kw%3Dtreating%2520per ipheral%2520neuropathy%26kw_type%3Db%26C_ID%3D1870 14%26SE_AD_ID%3D42618570067&nb=0&res_url=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.pch.com%2Fsearch%2F%3F q%3Dnerve%2520neuropathy%26insp%3D%253Fpvaid%253D0 ba303c60249480d94ab702b5856406f%2526fcoid%253D300&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.pch.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dne rve%2Bnerophthy%26cat%3Dweb&nm=23&nx=78&ny=14&is=555x309&clkt=154)that accompanies that has progressed over the last ten years since I was diagnosed. My son, who is a paramedic/nurse and is currently pursuing a PM degree, says that regular excercise is something that will stall the progression of the neuropathy. He got after me, said "I'm not finished learning stuff from you, I want you around for a long while".

I thought retirement meant I could roost in my recliner, watch TV, or sit at the reloading/casting bench, no more work. A quick way to die! He got me to get a membership at planet fitness. A deal at the end of the year is 99 bucks for a year, use it as much or as little as you want. It was there that I discovered the old angina was back, 13 years after a stent was placed in the LAD artery. At first I was in denial, that was supposed to fix it!! After I figured out that it WAS back, and much worse, I had to stop the PF workouts, and limit my exertion a bunch.

So my recovery is from a very low level of physical conditioning. I'm determined to get in shape, AND to loose 40 pounds to get to the ideal weight of 200. I considered going back to PF on a monthly basis, but what I did do is order a trike from Amazon. I can ride it on a network of trails around where I live, and take my pooch with me, he's in sorry shape too! Spring has sprung around WI, so I can begin riding even before I complete the re-hab.

While I'll never have 6 pack abs, or look like mr. universe, I should end up in better shape. Ultimate goal is to NEVER have to get split open again. Eating right goes along with that, I've become a label reader and trying out new recipes. So to that extent, I'm in training!:bigsmyl2:

ole 5 hole group
03-31-2015, 11:32 AM
I enjoyed the read and knew exactly what the OP was getting at. If you're in LE and deal with street people every single day or an occasional convicted felon, who kept in top shape while serving a 5 or 10 year stretch - you better be fit. A fire fighter better be fit. A competitive shooter better be fit if they have any desire to pee in the tall grass with the big dogs - who are fit. Fitness can mean different things to different people, depending on what they do or plan to do.

You better be fit if you go hunting/fishing/just a walk about whether alone or with a group that is 50 miles plus from another living human and without any form of communication with the outside world, because once or twice in a lifetime, you may/will encounter a deadly event - some survive and some don't - being fit just might increase your survival chances - did for me, so I can relate to the OP's post very well and what he describes is just how it is when the chips are down and you and other's asses are on the line.

Rhou45
03-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Why I train-

My body
1. To be able to enjoy the days I have on this planet
2. To be able to reach the top of the mountain when I am exploring the back country
3. To be ready to haul out the prized results of a successful hunt miles from the nearest road
4. To meet and overcome any obstacle that life, nature and/or society brings my way

My mind
1. To protect my freedoms of being an American
2. To identify the easier, best way to provide for my family
3. To understand and maximize on opportunities
4. To better use my abilities when muscle is not enough, out think brawn

My Sprit
1. To stay: focused, committed to principles, who I am

These are just a few reasons that come to mind, there are others, but these cover most.