PDA

View Full Version : No more free Lead..

Forester
03-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Well it seems my luck has run out. I have been getting about a 5 gallon bucket a month from a local shop for the last year and a half or two years...yesterday I stoped by to get the weekly take and was told they could not give them away, or even sell them anymore.

I talked to the manager about it, and he said their corporate offices said they could not do it anymore and gave some nonsensical explanation about the EPA saying so??

I have already hit up all of the local (some not so local even) shops and this was the last source I had. I did find a recycler that will sell WWs for $0.50 per pound. That means $350-400 a year for my current shooting. Still a lot better than buying all those boolits but thats still more money gone to continue a hobby I can't just let go of.

I have about a year or maybe a little more worth of WWs and boolits on hand now...do you think the current high prices on metals are at all likely to subside? I don't think that is very likely so I told the recylcer to call me when he had 200#s on hand and I would come get it...

Dale53
03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
A famous philosopher once said "This too will pass". I certainly hope so...

Dale53

Down South
03-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Just keep looking. I'd bet you could find a new supplier for free WW. I usually pack a little trading material along when I'm on a WW hunt. I'll carry several new buckets in the back of my truck since I get them free. I scored two full buckets of WW a couple weeks ago for a two pair of new gloves. You might be surprised about what you can get with a little something to trade.
:drinks:

imashooter2
03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I feel your pain... My last source of free lead dried up in January.

FWIW, you just have to keep looking. A couple weeks ago I found a bit over 300 pounds at 14 cents a pound. Not free, but much better than the 60 cents a pound the local scrap yards want for WW.

Good luck in your new searches!

idahoron
03-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I hit a dead end for soft lead here in my area for my Muzzleloaders. I had to order some soft lead from a company. I paid 2.38 with free shipping. I keep thinking about getting just a little more. I have about 100 pounds of soft lead right now. I might just see what happens. Ron

JIMinPHX
03-08-2008, 04:19 PM
That's why I'm using a boolit trap now to recover my lead

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23551

Forester
03-08-2008, 04:24 PM
That's why I'm using a boolit trap now to recover my lead

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=23551

So much of my lead hit steel plates or is shot in various drills and practice stages for USPSA matches that a bullet trap would have to be massive...

cbrick
03-08-2008, 04:56 PM
I'd love to see metal prices come down also but with the Chinese buying everything they can get their hands on its doubtful it'll come down anytime soon.

beagle
03-08-2008, 05:04 PM
You might keep that source on a string. I've found out that as they save WWs for disposal, they tend to get in the way, they find out what disposal costs are and it becomes a major PITA to get rid of them the legal way and then, they'll say, "take them and move on". It's happened to me that way several times. Sometimes, it depends on who you talk to also. The guys in the shop normally don't give a rat's butt about the EPA and they normally move the old WWs around and are glad to get rid of a bucket for $15-20 for beer and pizza on Fridays so keep plugging along and asking. You'll hit paydirt./beagle

Woodchuck
03-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Has anyone tried to sort lead from an earthen berm?

imashooter2
03-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Has anyone tried to sort lead from an earthen berm?

Lots of folks. Moderate work in the digging and screening. Lots of waste in the smelt pot from dirt and stones. Many ranges don't appreciate people mining their berms.

Blackhawk Convertable
03-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Buy all you can and sell 1/2 on eBay for $1 per lb. and you will still be getting free WW's

Freightman
03-08-2008, 07:48 PM
The berm lead will vary as to what people shoot the most of, at the range most shoot hard cast at the bullseye pistol range so it doesn't have to be mixed with anything else, at the action pistol range most is jacketed and a pain, but soft lead.
I have an old 10# pot that the thermostat will not work on it just gets hot that pot is what I do the scrap in I put a screw in the bottom and took out the machinery for the bottom pour, I might do 50# a week finished product if I feel like it. That comes to 2600# a year but there are four of us that use off of it.The range does not care that I get the lead but I am not to get in the way of shooters and dress the berm down when I finish. I go out to do the mining when the wind is about 45 mph or it is below 30' so I will not be disturbed.

Hipshot
03-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I sneak around the local mall parking at night with a screwdriver and pliers and get all I want---------but my pants keep falling down from all the weight in my pockets !

Hipshot:-D

Rick N Bama
03-08-2008, 08:15 PM
With each trip I make to the range I seem to be able to bring home about as much lead as I shot, maybe a bit more. The last batch I smelted down tested out at 12.5bhn after 2 months & seems to be rich in tin, so I'm just mixing it with my wheelweigh alloy. Long as I can do that, I'll be OK for a lead supply. Like you, my free wheelweight source has dried up.

Rick

nicholst55
03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I just returned from visiting my old friend and gunsmith in western PA. The local tire shop is currently charging $40 a bucket for wheel weights, because that's what some knucklehead(s) is/are offering him! And he sells it as quick as he can accumulate it! At first it was free, then someone offered the owner $20 a bucket. Next trip it was $40 a bucket!

I'm just about to go overseas for a couple of years, which will pretty much put an end to my shooting until I return. The government will ship 18,000 pounds of household goods back to the States for me, and I'm going to keep my eyes open for a source of free (or inexpensive) lead while I'm gone! Maybe I'll luck out.

cbrick
03-09-2008, 05:07 PM
If its Europe your going to word has it that lead WW have been a complete ban for the past couple of years. Chalk up another one for the eco whackos, don't ya feel safe now?

jack19512
03-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I sneak around the local mall parking at night with a screwdriver and pliers and get all I want---------but my pants keep falling down from all the weight in my pockets !

Hipshot:-D

You know I have actually thought about that myself. Before I get jumped on I just thought about it! I wouldn't actually do it. :-D

But I can tell you one thing I am going to start doing. Anytime someone I know or someone in my family goes in for new tires I will be removing the weights off the tires that are going to be replaced. :castmine:

nicholst55
03-09-2008, 09:31 PM
If its Europe your going to word has it that lead WW have been a complete ban for the past couple of years. Chalk up another one for the eco whackos, don't ya feel safe now?

Nope, I'm going the other direction, to Korea to work for the Army. Back when I was younger and dumber I used to snag used replacement battery clamps out of the motor pool and add them to the casting pot. The Army used nice big battery clamps at the time, not sure about now. I'm not sure what other sources of lead there might be available, bit I'll sure keep my eyes open!