PDA

View Full Version : Fun day in the woods

starmac
03-25-2015, 01:55 AM
The day started out good, actually excellant. The first load this morning I saw 4 different moose after I turned off on the log road. This time of year things have a huge porential to get slippery and today after the sun shown for a while there was a film of water on the ice. I have one hill (steep) that is about 3 miles full of switchbacks. This is all one lane, if you meet anyone, someone backs up. Today for the second time in the last week I met the faller for a firewood logging out fit working past the hill, except today their was NO time to worry about backing up. lol I reckon even the clean skivvies he puts on for the next few days will stain. lol

Later after I was loaded and coming out on another hill (also one lane) I rounded a curve and there was 3 snowmachines sitting about as close to the middle of the lane as you could get. The guy on the front machine took off running toward his and waving his arm for the others to take off. He jumped on his and gassed it and the other just sit there. The girl (passenger) on the one in the rear raised up a stick at me, while they just sit there, finally gassing it when I got to about 40 feet from them. The leader was already around a curve out of sight and had found a place to pull over to let me by. After I made it out to the pavement and stopped (just past a small country school) They came around while I was pulling my chains. I say pavement, because there is some under the snowpack, but hasn't been visible for several months. lol The leader past me and the other two stopped just 3 or 4 feet from me, I assumed to talk, but they didn't say anything when I spoke. He started waving for the one in the lead to come back, his machine had quit. lol The leader came back and started it for him and left again, he killed it again without moveing. lol By now school had let out, I had one lane blocked and they had the other, the leader came back and broke the recoil rope when he tried to start it again. The school buses had to wait until he got a strap and pulled it out of the road. It turned out these were Japanese (or some kind of nese) tourist, that really didn't understand english. I had been a little curious about the stick the gal had raised at me, it turned out to have a gopro mounted on it. I suppose they wanted a video of a logtruck, snow machine wreck. lol
Just a great day in the woods. lol

bikerbeans
03-25-2015, 06:49 AM
but did you see a feral WILCO running through the woods?

BB

MaryB
03-26-2015, 01:00 AM
Fun times, I was having fun on a gravel road in the river bottom, twists and turns, do nice slides in the corners type thing... came around a very sharp corner at 45mph and a stopped road grader was blocking the road. I jumped on the brakes and slid expecting the worst but got it down slow enough to just bounce off his tire. Driver didn't see me until I was 20 feet away and his eyes got big! He got out to check damage to my car(none 70 Dodge Charger with a real bumper) and make sure the tire had no cuts. Said he was watching the deer down by the river because he puts a stand in that area in Nov.

He should have pulled off to the side but that road doesn't get much traffic, mostly kids raising heck and racing to see who could get the best time in that 15 mile stretch of gravel full of twists and turns. When I was a kid there was a moon shiner back in along it, it is a dead end and didn't have many people living on it.

starmac
03-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Nobody lives on these logging roads at all, but snowmachiners use them, cross country skiers use them, firewood cutters use them, and dog team owners think they own them. 99 % of of all except for the dog teams tyr real hard to give a truck some space.
I used to think dog team runners were a hardy breed, after one winter working in the woods, my opinion has changed to where I have a whole different word to describe them.
I used to like to go watch the racers come cross the finish line, or the start of the race whichever the case, this year the wife had to go watch them alone. lol

lbaize3
03-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Wilco has gone feral! Now I gotta buy me a snowmobile and go guard starmac in the woods.... Hang on starmac, I'm headed your way!

starmac
03-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Come one, I will loan you a snowmachine to run blocker for me. lol
Might just loan you a rifle and six gun too. lol

white eagle
03-26-2015, 06:56 PM
Sounds like an exciting drive
any hunting now or is it done for the season

starmac
03-26-2015, 08:14 PM
No hunting, or at least no moose hunting, and they KNOW it. I had 2 moose cross the landing and stop and watch them loading me for a minute. lol They are never that easy during season. lol

Plate plinker
03-26-2015, 08:42 PM
funny how there a dopes everywhere. Could have back the old dodge 2500 over a little car twice today within 2 mins. I pulled up to back in to a spot and he sticks his car in the way. being tired and not in the mood to wait him out i picked another spot further up the way. Pulled up to do it again and the dope drives right behind me while i was guiding the beast into the spot! Would have thought you were far enough out to avoid knot heads Starmac. I feel your pain....

starmac
03-26-2015, 09:36 PM
There are knotheads anywhere, even if they have to be imported. Earlier in the year we were logging in the same unit that has the winter cow hunt, so there was quite a bit of traffic (by our standards) some days I would meet as many as 10 rigs pulling snowmachine trailers. These are not knotheads for the most part, just guys trying to access the hunting unit, which happens to start 27 ,iles from the road. When I meet one they have to back up to find a wide spot, sometimes it might be a few feet, sometimes as much as a mile or two. I kept thinking I would run into one that couldn't back up a trailer, and I finally did. It was funny the way it turned out, three state trooper rigs running together to check on the hunters, the one in the middle had the trailer with their snowmachines, and couldn't back up, didn't even try. The one in the front told me it would take a while but he had to swap vehicles with him in order to back up about a 1/4 of a mile. lol

MaryB
03-26-2015, 10:18 PM
I ran to town today, used my back route that is all county blacktop and less traffic. I get behind some idiot from IA that had a bad case of the 40-70's. 40 where I couldn't pass and when I pulled out to get around him he would do 70. Finally got around him in a corner... he drifted up to block me so I dropped low and used the blacktop shoulder to duck under him. No clue what his problem was but he was all over the road and all over for speed.