PDA

View Full Version : JPW 45 acp

randyrat
03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
It's too cold to shoot so the experimention goes on, things i haven't tried yet. I got a bug/ fire under my... So i thought i would try some Johnson paste Wax and beeswax. I cast a couple hundred 230 grain 45 acp. Put a stainless pan full of cast boolits on the fire threw in some JPW and some small chunks of beeswax and tumble lubed them, layed them out on some wax paper. Will this stuff work before i make too many? I sure like the smell/looks better than LLA.... Is there anything to add to this or am i on the right track. Will they take cast boolit full/almost power loads(4.9 grs of Unique). Feel free to add any input. would you add anything to this witches brew....... -18 degs this morning. ****FOREWARNING**** for those in shorts and sandles today, your only an airplane ride away. You best not rub in in too much or you'll have a pale scandinavian with white legs at your doorstep:twisted:

35remington
03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Randy, 4.9 Unique and a 230 grain lead bullet isn't anywhere near a full power load; you'll be getting somewhere around 700 fps. At this speed, hardness of the lead you're using will have as much or more to do with leading than the lube you use - at this speed lube isn't so critical.

JPW can be used straight if the bullets are heated to around 175 degress and the bullets dumped atop a chunk of it and swirled around. I use a cut off one gallon milk jug with the handle still on. Make a diagonal cut that removes the cap and about one third of the jug.

Would I change anything? Yep, with a roundnose bullet deformation in the feed cycle isn't as much of a factor with soft lead in a 1911, so I'd go with a low BHN number given the light charge of Unique you're using.

randyrat
03-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Your right it's not near full a load. But i'm using 50/50 WWs/soft PB So i can't push it too fast. I really don't know how fast you can push a hard cast lead 45 acp/ JPW+beeswax with out leading.

35remington
03-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Given that .45 ACP pressures are pretty low, you can push a bullet of your mix to standard velocities with no problem. Your mix is probably more suitable for ACP loads than straight wheelweights or any harder alloy and will likely give less leading.

WyrTwister
03-08-2008, 11:44 PM
It's too cold to shoot so the experimention goes on, things i haven't tried yet. I got a bug/ fire under my... So i thought i would try some Johnson paste Wax and beeswax. I cast a couple hundred 230 grain 45 acp. Put a stainless pan full of cast boolits on the fire threw in some JPW and some small chunks of beeswax and tumble lubed them, layed them out on some wax paper. Will this stuff work before i make too many? I sure like the smell/looks better than LLA.... Is there anything to add to this or am i on the right track. Will they take cast boolit full/almost power loads(4.9 grs of Unique). Feel free to add any input. would you add anything to this witches brew....... -18 degs this morning. ****FOREWARNING**** for those in shorts and sandles today, your only an airplane ride away. You best not rub in in too much or you'll have a pale scandinavian with white legs at your doorstep:twisted:

I bought a can of JPW at Lowes this afternoon . Located in the aile with the floor cleaning supplies .

I have previously used Lee Liquid Lube . Read that JPW dries hard , LLL seems to always stay sticky .

I just got through tumble lubing 5 different batches of bullets , .357 , .44 Mag , .45 ACP & .45-70 .

I poured each seperate batch onto a seperat WalleyWorld plastic sack . I have a box fan set in front of them , blowing on high . ( I have found this accelerated drying when I used LLL . )

I am hoping this will work better than LLL , which worked pretty well .

Did not heat the bullets or the wax . Both were room temp . Did not mix any bees wax or any other thing with it .

God bless
Wyr