PDA

View Full Version : Range dug lead.

fred2892
03-08-2008, 06:24 AM
I have been a member here for a rew months now, few posts from me as this forum has one of the best searches going and most of my questions are answered. Here goes,
I will be de-leading our local range in the next month. It has not been de-leaded for over 15 years. The backstop is sand and the crop will be 95% non jacketed. A test dig showed clumps of lead at about 3-4 feet in.
Before I smelt into ingots ,what is the process for cleaning?

Do I throw it all in the pot as is? (after sifting)
Do I sun dry first?
Or do I need to wash/scrub and then dry?

I have to say I have learnt more in the few months as a member of this forum than I ever have in many years of casting and most things I learnt myself was learnt the hard (painful) way.

randyrat
03-08-2008, 07:34 AM
I'll add a bit of experience on one thing, watch out for the jacketed bullets poping, use a cover. I also would sun dry for a while if anything it will add a few degrees, therefore you'll use less heat. I don't think moisture will matter that much unless you drop moisture laden bullets in melted lead then you'll see the tinsil fairy dance. So to sum it, up start with a empty pot each time, don't add any moisture to melted lead ever, very bad bad. Safety glasses minimum equipment.

UweJ
03-08-2008, 08:40 AM
I´ve just finished with what you´re about to start. I got me about 1600 pounds of lead alltogether. We had both lead and jacketed bullets in the backstop. I just sifted everything roughly and then off in the pot it went. I have a 11 Kilo gas bottle which I had cut in half. This gives me approx.60-80 pounds per melt . At the end everything will float on top and can be taken off. Flux as good as you can and then pour in ingots.
It´s a lot of work but well worth it in the end. I thought of it easier in the beginning , but enjoy it very much now. You probably have to remelt later to get a good average in hardness when throwing everything together again.
Just start and have fun. Always good to have new casters.
Uwe

JIMinPHX
03-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Dump the jacketed stuff on a concrete floor & give 'em a whack with a lump hammer to split the jackets. They behave themselves after that. The lead core just melts & runs out of them.

fred2892
03-09-2008, 05:00 AM
Thanks for all the above replies. Up until now I am used to using pure unadulterated lead and adding linotype and pure tin for hardness. My pure lead source has dried up so That is why I am going down the range lead route.
Is it possible that I may come across anything in the range scrap that may screw up my mixture. What I mean is do any commercial manufacturers use zinc or any other non desireable component?

randyrat
03-09-2008, 07:04 AM
To date, anything thats down range has been cast by someone or some company so it sould be ok. Still watch your temp as you mentioned zink washers or similar things.

38 Super Auto
03-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I have never found anything that would foul my alloy. I have mined range lead and get about 2/3 cast bullets and remainder jacketed. I get rocks, cases, and other stuff, and a lot of dirt. It all floats, and I remove it. It takes several passes skimming and fluxing, but it cleans up nicely.

I find the hardness has been similar to WW, which is quite variable as well. I add 1% tin and about 5% hard lead (antimony content). I get 15-17 BHN. I size 1-2 mils over groove diameter. I am running some projectiles at 1200-1450 fps with no leading issues.

cbrick
03-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Heed the caution on moisture going into molten alloy, it can be a life altering experience.

Use a thermometer and keep the melt around 650 or 675 degrees, zinc melts at well over 700 degrees and will float until it melts. Anything floating needs to be removed ASAP.

Flux well, make ingots, make boolits . . .life is good. :-D

Rick

Sherlok
03-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Pour it all in the pot. All the junk will float to the top.

Sherlok

GSM
03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
A question for you guys handling range scrap: What do you do with the trash skimmed off of the melt?

Cherokee
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I put trash in the trash. Steel clips & jacket metal go to the junk yard.

HORNET
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
You ought to sort out that jacket metal and sell it as scrap copper. Especially at current prices.