PDA

View Full Version : Bought the (expletives deleted) benjamin discovery

TCLouis
03-21-2015, 11:51 AM
3 hours or so of fiddling with it and got it working.
NOT even sure what I did to fix it, but likely the valve was stuck and i FINALLY jarred it loose.

Ordered from Amazon and poof to be delivered on the second day from ordering . . . Alrighty it arrives on Friday, I will have the weekend to test it out a little.

Get it in, , a little damage to shipping box, but no biggie . . . First thing I notice is how bare it looks without the rear sight blade in place. Look in the bag with the gun info and nothing . . . Now I notice a hole in one end of the box and that as the gun flopped around in the shipping box the rear sight blade cut into the carton so that is likely a lost cause expecting to find that. Oh well I have an airgun scope and mount so I did get it out.

Wow the pump is well packaged and assembles easily.

I will mount the scope after getting gun up to pressure. Hook pump to gun, start pumping and I hear the hiss of leaking air so I realize the pump valve is not turned off. Fix that little omission and proceed to "pump her up". Funny I still hear leaking air so I hold the gun up to my ear as I pump and hear air leaking in the breech area . . . maybe just transferring in some internal chamber in the receiver. Pump 50 strokes and nothing but the sound of leaking air.

SI have to find the source of the leak so I start to take gun out of the stock and the safety prevents removal. At this point I am beginning to warm up a tad so I walk off. and go to the house to research safety removal. No problem there with 2 minutes of searching on youtube I have my answer, but decide to sleep on the "repairs" to a brand new product.
Saturday Morning
Safety comes out easily, remove from the stock, hook to pump and hold the breech to er and start pumping, yes it is leaking but not enough volume to feel the air on my face so I do a visual.

Hmmm teflon tape on pressure gauge to extension, but no tape from extension to air chamber. NO PROBLEMO, I have teflon tape. That took 2 minutes, now it will pump up. 25 pump strokes and I still hear the hiss of air. OK maybe some internal transfer so I go for the 110 strokes it takes to fill empty gun . . .

80 strokes and no pressure registering, but I still hear the hiss and low volume prevents feeling the air even on my face.

Would I love to shove it up some QA/QC person at crosman/benjamin right now . . . Well DUH!!!

NOW I get to box it up and send it back and wait weeks for them to fix a brand new product.

One of the big name gun writers was in a conversation a couple of years ago and was heard to say, "The customer now provides QA/QC and tests the firearm to see if it is operational."

I for one don't feel that is my job.

Rant mode OFF, but still cursing ths particular benjamin under my breath.

Slow leak persists as of April 1
As Smoke4320 says below, "Discos usually are very good guns.. but you can get a bad anything !!"

And I got that one.

rsterne
03-21-2015, 12:28 PM
No Teflon tape is required on the gauge adapter to gauge block as that is sealed by an O-ring.... If you had that out, I would have thought you would have seen that?.... If there wasn't one, that is possibly your problem?.... More likely, the valve is leaking at the seat.... You can try cocking the gun before pumping, but if a piece of dirt is imbedded into the face of the Delrin poppet, you may be hooped without taking the gun all apart....

Your solution of returning the gun is probably for the best....

Bob

shoot-n-lead
03-21-2015, 12:50 PM
I have read of this happening with these guns when new...and there is a fairly easy remedy for the problem...I just cannot remember what it is. You may call Crossman and ask them...would sure beat returning the rifle.

MrWolf
03-21-2015, 01:47 PM
I would contact Amazon and demand a replacement be sent and just return the defective to them. I would not send to factory for repairs.

TCLouis
03-21-2015, 03:49 PM
Well, I never planned to become an airgun mechanic just so I could shoot one, but benjamin thought it would improve my enjoyment of owning one if it took me hours to learn to take it apart (more than once to get finally working) just to get it to hold air.

So any way had it apart again and found the O ring mentioned by rsterneabove.

Cocking it allows for some air buildup.

Put it back together and came to search the net for a good blow-up drawing. Here is the link in case you need one.

www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/BP1K77xx & BP9M22xx EVP.pdf?

I am guessing that if I could load it with air from a tank it may just pop the valve closed due to the pressure and fill rate.

Slow Leak persists

As Smoke4320 says below, "Discos usually are very good guns.. but you can get a bad anything !!"

And I got that one.

rsterne
03-21-2015, 04:05 PM
"some" air buildup indicates to me that the poppet seal is damaged / dirty.... Likely only pulling the valve out and fixing the problem is the only solution....

Bob

HARRYMPOPE
03-21-2015, 04:06 PM
That sucks, you shouldn't have to do that! If amazon sold it and it shipped though Pyramid Air all is good. Their customer service is tops. Don't give up on the Disco most are problem free.

TCLouis
03-21-2015, 08:19 PM
YAHOOOOOOOO

It is fixed.
Scope and mount came off of a springer and is almost perfectly on target.
Less than a hundred strokes (up and down is a stroke to me) to get up to pressure.

That mount is NOT conducive to loading the pellet, but new medium height rings were in today's mail a quick mounting and a couple of test shot before dark.

DANG it is as loud as a 22 rimfire. TKO sound moderator will be on order soon.

25 yard target tests tomorrow.

Finally got it all going so am mostly happy, next is a 177 barrel and bolt.

Slow leak persists

And I got that one.

melloairman
03-21-2015, 09:59 PM
YAHOOOOOOOO

It is fixed.
Less than a hundred strokes (up and down is a stroke to me) to get up to pressure.

That mount is NOT conducive to loading the pellet, but new medium height rings were in today's mail a quick mounting and a couple of test shot before dark.

Most PCP require you to chock the rifle to get all the pressure of the hammer off the valve stem when the rifle is empty of air . So that the valve will seat all the way . But It is a good habit to un chock the rifle as soon as you get it to except some air for safety sake . That should be in the instructions some were but probably is not . This is one of the reasons most new PCP are shipped with some air in them . Enjoy your new rifle . All things have a learning curve . Marvin

melloairman
03-21-2015, 10:28 PM
YAHOOOOOOOO

It is fixed.

I forgot to mention that the barrels are normally filthy and need a good cleaning before accuracy can be achieved . GL Marvin

HARRYMPOPE
03-21-2015, 10:46 PM
The TKO is a must on the disco.they make it really quiet.

TCLouis
03-28-2015, 11:20 PM
Slow leak persists so it is back to the factory for this one.

DANG!

And I got that one.

melloairman
03-29-2015, 10:40 PM
Slow leak persists so it is back to the factory for this one.

DANG!
Sorry to hear that . They are generally good rifles .Marvin

Smoke4320
03-30-2015, 12:13 PM
As said before there is something (dirt, machining sliver ect) on the poppet valve..
I would call amazon and have them send you another as a replacement It should cost you nothing
Discos usually are very good guns.. but you can get a bad anything !!

Multigunner
04-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Whats the trail of manufacture for this rifle?
Is it manufactured as parts then shipped to an assembly facility?
If so where do the parts originate and where is it assembled?

I ask because most of the problems I've read of with what should be very high quality airguns sound much like the problems found with fire arms manufactured in Italy but assembled in the USA.
An old friend had a Franci 20ga autoloader, an exceptionally fine shotgun by all accounts, that sent its barrel flying like a javelin on the first shot. It flew perhaps 100 yards before sticking up in the mud of a pond. The problem was not unique, an unknown number of these were improperly assembled in the US after being shipped here as parts.