PDA

View Full Version : My Dad's cousin passed away

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-20-2015, 07:36 PM
My Dad's Cousin passed away.
A couple clips of the obit. that makes me wish I lived in that time and place.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/juneauempire/obituary.aspx?n=walter-francis-baldwin-qaniitaq&pid=173915197

"Qaniitaq (Walter) was born on Oct 6, 1937, to Carlton and Olinga (Vaska) Baldwin at Arularrkurviaq (Paimiut), Alaska on the Yukon River. Walter was raised there and in Kalskag, Aayanuuciarr, and Aniak. He also lived in fall, winter, spring and summer camps along the southern tributaries of the Kuskokwim River between Kalskag and Aniak, and in the area north of Kalskag from Paimiut to Russian Mission."

"Walter was a professional seal hunter and fisherman. He would hunt deer and seal in southeast Alaska to provide for elders and relatives. He told stories of how he spent summers seal hunting and living off the land in and around Kodiak and other places along the south shores of the Alaska Peninsula. Walter fished southeast Alaska – Yakutat, Sitka, Elfin Cove and Hoonah."

Plate plinker
03-20-2015, 08:22 PM
Sounds like a life of adventure. RIP old timer and enjoy the great hunt beyond.

afish4570
03-21-2015, 01:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your families loss. I too wish I had asked my relatives, friends & parents who have passed, more about their lives, jobs, military experience. Because I didn't ask, alot of secrets that went to their graves. I have tried to thank those who have helped me in jobs and personal life too and tried to pass on some of my skills that will be lost in time (or deleted from Google and lost forever as history is rewritten.) I do this before I depart or they depart. Just an old guy rambling on. afish4570

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2015, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your families loss. I too wish I had asked my relatives, friends & parents who have passed, more about their lives, jobs, military experience.
...snip
Yes, Me too !

I only met Walter once. He drove through Minnesota in 1977, when I was 12. He wanted a special boat, apparently only made in the east coast (Boston I recall?). It was a smallish (for the ocean) open fishing boat with very upswept bow and very upswept stern. He said the shipping costs were worth far more than his time and fuel, to get it to SE Alaska...So He made a vacation out of it. Honestly I don't remember much. He stopped my grandma's place on the lake (kind of our family's HQ in the 70s and 80s) and we came out for a afternoon visit.

I did go to Alaska in 1997 to visit relatives in Aniak and do some Salmon fishing. I stayed with his Sister and her family...and got a taste of what life is like in a 'almost' native village.

Buck Neck It
03-21-2015, 11:54 PM
I read the obit, Walter really got around! Very interesting person. Maybe I crossed paths with him or one of his relatives? Native Alaskans are very soft spoken, but they have plenty to say.

seaboltm
03-22-2015, 02:51 AM
Sounds like he really lived. Not everyone does that. Sorry for your loss.