PDA

View Full Version : Yanks and Rebs

Lead melter
03-07-2008, 10:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone done a bit on where the highest proportion of casters on this sight live?
More Reb casters, or more Yank silver streamers?
And let's not leave out our brethren from other countries...Like California.[smilie=1:
Myself, I was born in Ohio, grew up in Kentucky, and now reside in North Carolina with yearnings to make it to Montana some day. So, am I a Yank or a Reb?
I'll say seriously conservative Reb with liberal Yank leanings.
Okay gang, sound off. Maybe we can stir up a re-enactment or two![smilie=w:

Well, so far including Morgan Astorbilt's post we stand;

REBS-5

YANKS-4

East of Mississippi River-4

West of Mississippi River-5

Keep 'em coming guys.

Sundog, I like your idea of a density map and hereby nominate you for the geographer.

DanWalker
03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
Born in the Western end of NY state. Raised there and in Florida.
Spent 18 years of my life down south, between KY,FL, and NC.
Moved to Wyoming 6 years ago and aint leaving!
As Far as Yanks and Rebs go. I honor the memory of the men who fought and died on both sides for what they beleived in.
Married a southern girl, who's only apparent flaw is TERRIBLE taste in men.

sundog
03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
That would be interesting -- even a density map, if that is possible. This site (and the old Shooters) is responsible for me meeting (face-to-face) several members; Calamity Jake, GonHuntin (where is he anyway?), Beeman, Felix, OKSMLE, Sailman and Dirty Jack (knew them from my club first) and a few others. If I missed someone, it's not intentional. It's always nice to have a new friend with a common obsession, uh, uh, interest, that is.

Good bunch of folks here.

Boz330
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Born and raised in OH. Move to Ky shortly after getting out of the Army. I was stationed at Ft Knox. KY was a border state with leanings both ways. The 4th largest Civil War Museum is in my adopted home town, Bardstown. It is well worth seeing if you are in the area. BTW my dads side of the family had veterans on the Union side.

Bob:redneck:

1Shirt
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Born and raised in Western N.Y. Left home at 18, been in every state in the union, and numerous overseas countries. Lived for at least a reasonable period of time in 11 states. Married a Georgian, ended up in Nebraska where they will probably plant me. Respect both north and south, and have strong states rights conservative meantality. Not really sure what that means to this thread. Does seem to me however, that I spent 23 years in two branches of service with a higher percentage of career military from the south than from other parts of the country, again whatever that means.
1Shirt!

MT Gianni
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Born in UT and lived most of my life in ID and MT. I have no desire to recapture my ancestral homes in Ireland and if pressed hard I would loose little if all east of the Mississippi slid off into the ooze. Thank God there is a place for everyone. Gianni

jlchucker
03-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Born and raised in Vermont, back when it was a patriotic and proud State. It no longer is, and certain towns like Brattleboro don't even deserve to be on the planet, never mind a part of America. Spent a couple of years in Kentucky, and some time in South Carolina. My ancestors had not reached America until some 40 years after the Civil War had ended. I honor the memory and courage of those on both sides of the War Between the States, and defy any hippietraitor passing by my house to try and take my American flag or Confederate flag down when I raise both in the summer.

dgslyr
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Had relatives on both sides during the war of northern aggression.Penn. infantry,Iowa infantry,and Penn. cavalry.In the CSA they were in the Mississippi infantry.Tenn. cavalry,Georgia artillery,and Texas Cavalry.The northern infantry from Penn. were KIA attacking the Mississippi infantry positions at Chickamauga.The southerner's all survived to collect pensions in Texas.The northerer's all moved to Iowa and Oregon.I was born in Iowa but was brought to Texas at a couple of months old.Been here ever since.

Morgan Astorbilt
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM
My family wasn't here until after the conflict. I was born in Brooklyn, moved down here after retiring 25 yrs ago. Not far from you, Leadmelter, to the west, in Rutherford County. (Just far enough away from Charlotte.)
Morgan

DLCTEX
03-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Born in Texas 1945, lived in La. 4 yrs.75-79( south La., felt like I had moved back to US when I came back to Tx. Moved to Ok. twice (SE 63-65 and NE 81-85) Lived all over Tx. and will probably finish out my days here. Ancestors on one side came from Gremany in 1870's, the other side from Germany in 1777, part, other part were here when Columbus came. DALE

Larry Gibson
03-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Myself, I was born in Ohio, grew up in Kentucky, and now reside in North Carolina with yearnings to make it to Montana some day. So, am I a Yank or a Reb?
[smilie=w:

Now that brings up a question I had while back in NC recently; do South Carolinan's consider North Carolinan's as Yanks because they are "Norhterners"?

However what really brought back memories was the reference to "foriegners". Being in an airborne unit (173rd ABN Bde) there were a large number of southerners (rebs) and there was continual discusion of the "War of Northern Agression". Since I was from Oregon I was always refered to as a "foriegner" also. I always tried to remind the Rebs that Oregon Joined the Union in '59 and did not cecede (SP?) so that made me a "Yankee". Was to no avail, to them I was still a redneck cowboy foriegner. Heck, even the Yankee's said that! Was all in fun and the memories are fond ones.

Larry Gibson

Nueces
03-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi, All. I was born in South Texas, then lived in the D.C. area for a while before getting back home, where I've been since, except for military service periods. When my sister was born in D.C., I provided a vial of Texas soil so she could be natural born. :drinks:

Family lore has four Scots-Irish brothers coming over in revolutionary times, towing a ne'er-do-well horsethief relative called Uncle Lumpkin. Lump is supposed to have been caught trying to assassinate a local sheriff by leaping from behind a tombstone with a blunderbus. Don't know if he cast his own. :-D

There have been a number of military pilots in the family. One grandfather flew with Billy Mitchell and Dad and two uncles flew in WWII. I was a cold war fighter puke, probably the last aviator for a time.

Mark

carpetman
03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
NEVER ask a person if they are Texan. If they are,they are going to tell you without asking. If they are not you embarrass them.

EDK
03-07-2008, 02:33 PM
There was a movie RIDE WITH THE DEVIL about the WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION here in Missouri, about a german teenager who rode with southern guerillas.

Grandma's people were the transplanted Virginians/Marylanders and Grandpa's were the Germans from religous colonies in Perry county MO. I was born in MO, lived 20+ years in Illinois and back to MO for 30+ years now.

My brothers live in Nampa ID. If I move again; Sheridan WY... Bozeman/Billings MT...Nampa ID.....Chadron NE are the short list.

:cbpour::redneck:

Lloyd Smale
03-07-2008, 02:42 PM
yank here

9.3X62AL
03-07-2008, 03:13 PM
5th generation Californian here. CA is a strange one to classify as to Blue or Gray, there were a lot of both here at the time--and a lot who couldn't find a "good guy" on either side, and sat the affair out.

Near to where I live in the San Bernardino Mountains was a gold camp (Belleville) that boomed in 1860 and largely busted by 1862. Radical Secessionists took up residence at the site, and made things warm for garrisons placed at Cajon Pass and San Gorgonio Pass (now I-15 and I-10 respectively). Generally--due to routes taken into the state from their former home areas--southern Californians tended to lean toward the Confederacy while Northern Californians tended to be pro-Union. Vestiges of that difference are still in place today, because the two parts of the state couldn't be more different.

felix
03-07-2008, 03:30 PM
I agree with most, if not all, of the Southern attributes, except for the slavery aspects. What I don't like about the Northern attributes is the eminent domain psychology. So, if another civil war broke out, well.... who knows. Probably will leave this country, but by then, there won't be another country worth going to. SOS, different location. All of the states I have spent some time in, I'd have to pick HI as the best all around. I'm talking well feelings here, nothing more. ... felix

PatMarlin
03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm Green... :mrgreen:

Ben
03-07-2008, 03:49 PM
ALABAMA - - - way down south in the land O' Cotton,....................

Ghugly
03-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Central California. Around here, the small towns are pretty much like small towns everywhere..........in Mexico. Nice people, for the most part. If I had my choice, I'd kind of like to have to travel to see a foreign country.

madcaster
03-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Ole Virginny,WHO'S Reenacting?We are serious!:kidding:

Razor
03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Born and raised Yank...
Reb by inclination.:veryconfu

Razor
:castmine:

Thor Bloodax
03-07-2008, 04:50 PM
I was born in Georgia when it was in another universe many years ago. Cast for .38, and .30-30, and .45.

Ancestry: Four brothers came to Georgia in early 1800 and settles around Kite, Ga. All were hard working farmers and merchants. During the War to preserve States Rights, over 265 men on my grand father's and grandmother's side served in the Confederate States Army (CSA). Many were killed or wounded. As far as I can find out by digging through the records, none of my family ever owned slaves. I personaly know that my great grandfather, grandfather, father and I worked on an100 acre farm and plowed with a mule, picked cotten by hand and shucked corn by hand. After the war, my family retained the right to work their butts off in the fields.

By the way Mt Gianni, what have you got against anything east of the Mississippi, especially the beautiful state of Georgia? Did you get mugged in New York or Miami or something?

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Pro-southern Missourian.

Capt. Quantrill got a bad rap.:-D

Everett

felix
03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Yep, he did... but he was not a southerner in the least, but a rebel, and attracted the likes of the James', who joined the group in protest of the "Eminent Domain" criteria. I don't think that specific "ED" had been invented until much later by some nitwit. No, it wasn't Dole, because he was stuck up (err, down) with the other kind! ... felix

Pro-southern Missourian.

Capt. Quantrill got a bad rap.:-D

Everett

rhead
03-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Born and raised in sout Arkansas. My family is orginally from Va and southern Penn. A Head was killed in an Indian uprising at Jamestown. His sons came over as indentured servants to claim his estate at Powel Brook. They later joined the Quakers and were read out of the church for consorting with the militia and other social undersiables. They moved to Union co. NC in the late 1760's then came west across Ga AL AND Miss.

pumpguy
03-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Born and raised in the Great Plains. Never felt it necessary to choose sides.

testhop
03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
BORN in HENDERSOVILLE NC NOW LIVE IN MARYLAND LAND OF TAXES I LEARN TO RELOAD AND TO CAST IN THE AIR FORCE DOWN IN EL PASO HUNTING JACK RABBITS BEEN HOOKED
EVER SENCE

jawjaboy
03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Jes over da fence in my back yard, 'bout 10 feets from my berm. Take a guess what I be! :wink:

My family been down heah since da 1790's.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000437.jpg

testhop
03-07-2008, 06:59 PM
THAT WASNT A WAR IT WASagame called for darkness j ust a lieb yankies

MT Gianni
03-07-2008, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=Thor Bloodax;302043
By the way Mt Gianni, what have you got against anything east of the Mississippi, especially the beautiful state of Georgia? Did you get mugged in New York or Miami or something?[/QUOTE]

Nah, I think I just woke up onrey this morning and thought about pulling the post. I don't care for the humidity and the fact that it doesn't seem to cool down into the 50's at night. I have been to and enjoyed PA, KY, and TN but don't plan to ever live there. As far as the Civil War I will never get back the properties my ancestors lost in Ireland, Native Americans will never be the sole occupants of America again and far too many people want to live in or glorify the past, is my opinion. Gianni

fatnhappy
03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm proud to say my area of NY produced volunteers for service during the War Of Southern Insurrection at the highest rate in the Union. I can see the hill where Col. O'Rourke is buried from here.

http://www.cornafean.com/Patrick_O'Rorke.htm

jawjaboy
03-07-2008, 09:34 PM
"Gran'pa said you ol boy's calm down now, ya heah!"
^
^
^
^

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/jawjaboy/IM000523.jpg

jackley
03-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Grew up in Michigan and now a transplant to Wyoming.
Jerry

MikeH
03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Born and raised in central Ill. Lived in NE Minn, OK, NV and CO. Ancestors from Ireland and Germany lived in Central Ill. Guess that makes me a Yank.

PatMarlin
03-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Jawja,

Are those daisys over the berm there?... :holysheep

Jus kiddin' ya man...LOL :bigsmyl2:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
03-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Central California. Around here, the small towns are pretty much like small towns everywhere..........in Mexico. Nice people, for the most part. If I had my choice, I'd kind of like to have to travel to see a foreign country.

My Mom was born in Madera. That ring a bell?.. :mrgreen:

JSnover
03-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Born and raised in Michigan.
Now I'm stuck in Mass, through no fault of my own.
Can't wait to get back to the US......

drinks
03-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Aside from the Indian side, the first ancestor, Grancer Looney, here was fleeing the Round Heads, 1645, next was James Maitland and wife, Jean Sutherland, fleeing German George Guelph,aka George I in 1714. Their offspring were in the PA. militia in the revolution
Then in 1776, Johann Frantz Rincke came here with von Rall's regiment of Hessians, working for German George III.
He was captured at the battle of Trenton, when he was paroled, he went off the books and beat feet to NC., married an Indian woman, set up a tannery and bought and sold land and raised at least 9 kids.
2 great-great GFs, from Conway co. Akansas went in the armys in '62, the one who did not own slaves went in the Confederate army, the one who did went in the Union army and took 2 horses, a mule and a slave with him.
They both died in a hospital in Arkansas, the widow of the slaveholder was reimbursed for the horses. mule and slave after the war.
I am 4th gen. Texan, second gen. Hidalgo Co.
I have lived in Texas, Ok., Arkansas, La., Tennessee and Wyoming.
If I had to leave TX. I would go to SE. Ok. or Central La.

454PB
03-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Montana wasn't even a state until 1889, but I guess I'd be a yank. Born and raised in Montana with a couple of years in Alaska when I was too young to remember much about it.

I spent a week in New Orleans about 10 years ago, and being a museum freak I spent a lot of time reading about the history of the area, and the suffering that went on during the Civil War and occupation. Kind of changed some of the ideas that were taught to me in school.

mold maker
03-07-2008, 10:52 PM
NC born, and here I'll die. Southern through and through.

Scrounger
03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Pat Marlin says: My Mom was born in Madera. That ring a bell?.. :mrgreen:

More Madeira, my dear?? Kingston Trio, 1960s. Vickie Dugan turn your back on me....

VTDW
03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Born and raised in Texas and became a True Texan (for those that know what that means):drinks: at about 15 yr of age. Now live in Okieland since 79'. Only 2 states I have lived in if you don't count a month in Bosier City Louisiana.

Dave

PatMarlin
03-07-2008, 11:34 PM

More Madeira, my dear?? Kingston Trio, 1960s. Vickie Dugan turn your back on me....

Kingston Trio Hee, hee.. :mrgreen:

I remember when that was on mom and dad's juke box with Roger Miller. Dang me, Chugalug chugalug,, :mrgreen:

I wish I had all those old 45's.

Thor Bloodax
03-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Although I had many ancestors in the War to preserve States Rights, I am a typical American mix of genetic background. Identifiable links to groups include: Creek Indian, France, Germany, Ireland, Switzerland and England. I lived in another country for awhile and they took a census while I was there. "What is you national origin, sir?" "I am an American." "No, no. We mean what country are you from?" "Oh, I am from the United States of America." "No, no. We mean where were your ancestors from?" "Oh, they were from the USA also. My father, grandfather and great grandfather and great great grandfathers and mothers were all from the USA." "No, no. We mean what European ethnic background do you identify with?" "Well, that's hard to say since they came from several countries and have been on this continent for at least two hundred years." "Well, we can not take USA as country of origin. You will have to declare one of the European countries, since you look white." So, I was compelled to pick only one European country. By the way, if I had answered with the wrong country, I probably would have been deported. Glad to be back in the good ol USA.

Larry Gibson
03-08-2008, 01:26 AM

I just happen to have that old favorite in my collection of folk music. Always was a hoot whatching them perform that song and of course others.

Nothing to do with Yanks and Rebs though.

Larry Gibson

Dale53
03-08-2008, 02:01 AM
I am in a quandry - I was born and raised in Ohio. However, both sides of my family go all the way back to Ireland. They settled in North Carolina in the early 1700's (I believe 1727) until my great grandfather moved to Kentucky. So, my family was on the side of the South during the Civil War (Zebulon Vance was a cousin) but I was raised in the North.

What am I? Easy, I AM AN AMERICAN!!

Dale53

singleshotbuff
03-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Well,

I was born in Germany, on a US military base, and lived about 20 years in Missouri. Lived about 2 years in Oklahoma, in a little town outside of Tulsa caled Broken Arrow, in between stints in the show me state. Moved to Ohio from Missouri about 11 years ago, to be with a great woman. I imagine we'll live out our time here, unless we get tired of snow and head south.

I guess I'm technically a Yank, but I lean towards the southern ways. I'd be happy living anywhere throughout the south. My ancestors in Missouri were on the southern side of the war of northern agression.

Above all I'm an AMERICAN.

SSB

Buckshot
03-08-2008, 03:50 AM
...............So. California.

...............Buckshot

monadnock#5
03-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Yank. Ever heard of the 25th NH? We're brave, but not very bright.

My GG Grandfather, George Dodge, is on record as having travelled from his home in Brookfield MA, to enlist in the NAVY in Brooklyn NY. I don't know of any battles or blockades he participated in, and wouldn't say even if I did, as I have no wish to inflame the passions of those whose ancestors suffered as a result of those blockades.

BBA
03-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Born in Florida, raised in Michigan, back to Florida, currently in Michigan. Half the family from Kentucky, other half from Indiana. Had a relative exiled to South America after the Revolutionary War, later ones were on the northern side during the Civil War in Kentucky.
I'd liked to move further south someday soon, but my wifes health is not so good.

sundog
03-08-2008, 08:56 AM
SSB, Broken Arrow is not such a little town anymore...

13Echo
03-08-2008, 09:00 AM
Monadnock,
I doubt anyone would object to hearing about your ancestors service. I think we all honor men who did their duty from both sides of "The War" and no-one can doubt the bravery of the "boys in blue".

As for me, Southern. My ancestors can be traced to the Jamestown colony on one side and immigrants from England and Scotland to North Carolina on the other. In fact there is a Lilesville, North Carolina where my grandfather came from. Just a typical American mutt - Scott, German, English, etc. mix including a British grandmother from the West Indies. Ancestors on both sides have served in all of America's wars from colonial time to me during Vietnam. We just happened to be on the losing side in the Civil War.

Jerry Liles

Bigscot
03-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Tarheel born and Tarheel bred and when I die I'm a Tarheel dead.

Family wasn't in country during the War Of Northern Aggression. Came from Scotland right after WW1.
Settled in SE N.C. then Oxford, N.C.

Bigscot

montana_charlie
03-08-2008, 01:26 PM
My Euopean ancestors were the wild ones that the Romans couldn't deal with, so they built Hadrian's Wall. They were a blend of Scots and Irish when they arrived on this continent, and managed to become injected with some Cherokee blood before my father was born.

The patriarch of our branch of the family during the Civil War was Andrew Jackson Maxwell, and he served with the South. I have a photo of the survivors of his unit, which was taken at reunion ten years after the conflict...and I have the company badge he wore during the war.

A.J. and all of his sons gathered up all of their families and moved from Arkansas to eastern New Mexico when it opened for homesteading.
The original homesteads, and the land that was later added, extended back across the line into the Texas Panhandle, so it came to pass that I was born in Amarillo.
Most of my early learning came from my Arkansas-bred Grandmother...either directly, or through her son. That makes me prone to think and act like a Southerner of the old school.

It causes many of these Montana ladies to look at me sharply...to see if I'm making a joke...but I can't quite get out of the habit of saying, "Yes, ma'am".

You see...it ain't the clothes that makes the man...it's who was teaching him when he was still naked.
CM

rockrat
03-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Guess you can call me an American purebread. Born in CA at March Field and lived in CA, NH, OK, back to CA, VA, OK, now CO. Fathers side came from England/Holland. Mom's side from Germany, Holland, Scottish, Welsh. They settled in Virginia and Kentucky.
I would say probably 60/40 Reb/Yank. Love southern food and Grandfather was more of a "southern gentleman", so learned my ways from him. Love Yankee Pot Roast (growing up in NH in the 50's). Give me fried chicken and cornbread also

bishopgrandpa
03-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Born and raised upstate New York. If it weren't for the East there wouldn't be a West.

HollandNut
03-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Ya mean the war between the Americans and yankees is over ??

357tex
03-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I was 21 before I knew there was any place besides TEXAS . Shock of my life U.S. Army sent me to Ft. Devens Mass.I found out people are just people,they may talk funny.But they are just folks. Born in Texas aim to die in Texas.Live on the farm my great grand father who was a confet. vt. bought in 1890.Live in the house he died in my grand father died here my father died in this house.I supose I will die here also.Is that called roots or what.:-D

4570guy
03-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Born and raised in San Antonio, Texas. Went to Texas A&M. We currently live in Aledo, TX west of Fort Worth.

Lead melter
03-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Interesting thread!

I had heard of the War of Northern Aggression, but never the War of Southern Insurrection. I like that different viewpoint.

As for my heritage...no pedigree here. With a paternal surname of Marlow, and maternal surname of Taylor, I kind of feel both side of the equation were of Brit descent. Add in a little Cherokee and a whole lot of bastard child and here I am.

By the way, it appears the Yanks and Rebs are pretty evenly matched up, but those west of the Mississippi boys and espcially the Texans are really making a show.

But you know what they say when those Texans move in the neighborhood.....

Wayne Smith
03-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Dad's family landed in Boston in 1634 and gradually moved north, through New Hampshire and into Maine. I was born in Maine, had an uncle (how many 'greats'?) who served in a Maine regiment in the Civil War. My cousin still has his Enfield rifle.

Moved to Virginia when I was 12, married and moved to WVa @ 21, out to California for Grad School, then 10 years in New Hampshire and now 14 years back in Virginia.

Mom was second generation German.

Call me East Coast and currently Southern, but strong Union leanings.

Uncle Grinch
03-08-2008, 04:30 PM
My family came from the Carolinas, but have been in Georgia for 4 or 5 generations. As far as my standing......

mike in co
03-08-2008, 04:55 PM
NEITHER,

born in the west( coronado), lived and worked further west( guam, hawaii).

perfer to learn from the past, not live in it.

1/2 prussian, the rest is split english, irish, scot and itailian.

a youngster...only a third generation AMERICAN.

MIKE IN CO

Ghugly
03-08-2008, 05:14 PM
My Mom was born in Madera. That ring a bell?.. :mrgreen:

You bet! About an hour North of me.

The Nyack Kid
03-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Ive got a big Reb steak running though me . you might be a redneck if you cry when you hear "Johny Reb" by Johny Horton .
I hail from the fine land of Montana but moved out to the left coast , between Portland and Seattle .there is kind of a little redneck sanctuary here .one of these days im going to move back to Montana before it becomes overran by all these liberaltreehugginglonghairedhippiefreaks out here .

MT Gianni
03-08-2008, 06:33 PM
My standing heritage is long on my Mothers side. She traces her ancestors through William Bradford who Capatained the Mayflower, as well as some Narragassett Indian that pre-dated them. Dads were English, Danish, Orange Irish [lost their lands when Ireland went Catholic], and Black Irish[dark headed vs redheaded Norse desendants] They include Squire Boone, Dan'ls older brother. Some of each fought on both sides of the un- Civil War and then went on about their lives. Gianni

runfiverun
03-08-2008, 07:21 PM
i apparently am a westerner
but the family fought for the north, at least thats what the medal of honor says

HeavyMetal
03-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Born in Buffalo when there were a lot of 5's in the date! Family moved West to N. Calif. '59.

Lived all over Central Calif from Sacramento to Tahoe till 1971. At the time nice people but no jobs! Heard they were actually hiring and paying people in L.A.! Came South to make my fortune???

It's sad to have seen this once great state reduced to a crumpling ruin by those elected officals more interestd in whats best for them than whats best for the people.

The plan is to work hard and retire to Nevada some day or, even better, find a job that pays close to what I'm making and get out ASAP!

Post me as a Western Man!

bruce drake
03-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Born and raised in Maine near the Canadian border. Long history of Military Service dating back to a relative in the 16th Maine Infantry. Not the famous 20th Maine but they fought a good number of engagements leading up to Gettysburg.

After that relative, most of my family split their service between Canada and the US. Had a Great-Great Uncle that fought with the Canadians at Ypres during WWI and had a Great Grandfather fight in the Marne with the US Army. Than my Paternal Grandfather fought WWII in the Navy on a Destroyer Escort and my Maternal Grandfather fought with the British Eighth Army in Sicily and Italy. Father fought in Korea and Vietnam in the Marines. I fought in the First Gulf War as a Marine and I'm on my second tour in Iraq as an Army Officer.

Wife's family is from Indiana with family tracings into Central Kentucky near Elizabethtown.

Overall though, I have to claim Yankee heritage with strong Federalist leanings.

I intend to retire to Georgia in a few years. Of the last 18 years, 15 have been South of the Mason-Dixon.

Bruce

OBXPilgrim
03-09-2008, 02:09 AM
Southerner.

Tar-heel born, tarheel bred (how 'bout them Dukies tonight!!), one day, tarheel dead.

Oldest known came from SC in the late 1700's to western NC. Have had folks here ever since. Mom & Dad live on family land that was once owned by the 1780's ancestor. Had sons of some ancestors fighting in Southern armies. Wife had a Confed Militia colonel for an ancestor. Had a relative shot down by southern marauders after he refused to give them horses - in front of his family (Forks of Ivy, NC/Madison co).

Many years ago, heard a few names for some of those that came here from the north - and stayed -- seems the name involved bags made of carpet - or something like that - remind my best friend (he's from Michigan) of that often. ;)

Great thread!

Linstrum
03-09-2008, 02:58 AM
I have lived west of the Rockies from Alaska down into Mexico, I currently do my casting in New Mexico, I'm 7/8 Swedish, and of the 1/8 Not Swedish in me I had one Yank relative and one Reb relative, both sat out most of the war in prison camps and lived to ripe old ages.

rugerdude
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Reb all the way! GG Grandfather served in 5th Georgia Cavalry. We have traced ancestors back to the Revolutionary War so far, and we found a G? Grandfather fighting for Georgia back then too! Needless t' say, I's is heah fo' d' d'ration! An' as fer re'n'actin', y'all come on down to Swainsboro, GA the 2nd weekend in May and we 'uns'll break out th' rifles an' cannons an' pop off a couple rounds wit'cha'! :mrgreen:

oneokie
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Both sides of the family have been southerners since the end of the War of Independence.
Virginia, Kentucky, East Tennessee, Northern Alabama, Northern Georgia, Arkansas, Texas.

Hobo Of The Lake
03-10-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm a democrate. I have all the major rifles of the second world war. I wish I could figure out how to change my cast boolits name from amy(which was the first thing I thought of to put down when I first sighned into cast boolits and is my daughter's name,) and change it to (hobo of the lake!) I just thought I would change the subject as I think living in the present is better than looking to the past for answeres. So there!

Pilgrim
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Born & raised in WA State after the communists gave up & before the liberals claimed it. Both sides of the family originated in the Lofoten Islands, Norway and emigrated sometime around 1900 I believe. Mom and dad were both born here about 1904. I'm told I have more relatives in Norway than in the states. Great-great-great-? grandfather started Norways equivalent of the NRA. So I know shooting is in the blood. I've lived in Pa (Lancaster & York areas), La (New Orleans area), Md (Gaithersburg), Ca (SF area), and Wa (NW corner & middle). I miss the folks from La, but not the pollution and corruption around 'Narlens". I can't say I miss any part of the East from Chicago East or Md. north. I could live very happily in La (Baton Rouge & northern La) if I could convince kids, g'kids & wife to relocate. That is a very low probability event, so I have to keep my mouth shut and live in a state with the most liberal of liberals. Similarly I could live quite contentedly in Mt, Co, Wy, Utah, Id. Pilgrim

Maineboy
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
I was born in Aroostook, Maine's most northern county, in 1950, have always lived here and will likely be buried here. Most of my French Acadian ancesters moved here after they were expelled by the British from Acadia (Nova Scotia) to New Brunswick in the 1750's. Other relatives drifted in from Quebec. This is pretty rugged country, sparsley populated, with long, cold, snowy winters and short summers. We used to have a large Air Force Base and I've met alot of nice people from both coasts and both sides of the Mason Dixon line that were stationed here.

tom barthel
03-10-2008, 04:00 PM
The war is over. The North won. It is a thing that is past. If I were able, I would probably live somewhere in North Arizona. I've found friendly people all over the world. No one has exclusive rights on nice. Reb or Yank? Who really cares? I'm part Cherokee. Cherokees faught on both sides but, so what. I'm just a proud American

hydraulic
03-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I live in northern Nebraska. You wouldn't like it here. Winters are brutal; lots of snow and wind. Summers are stifling; high temps, dry, windy. There are no jobs here. No industry, farmers are all broke. We don't have any mountains or seashores or historical sites or anything to attract tourists. So why do I live here? THERE ARE NO PEOPLE HERE!!!

Hobo Of The Lake
03-11-2008, 05:24 AM
No Jobs? How about the sod house industry? I don't think I'm going to visit. It was cold here this year and finally the snow is just about gone. No people is good!

Hobo Of The Lake
03-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anyone done a bit on where the highest proportion of casters on this sight live?
And let's not leave out our brethren from other countries...Like California.[smilie=1:
Okay gang, sound off. Maybe we can stir up a re-enactment or two![smilie=w:

Well, so far including Morgan Astorbilt's post we stand;

REBS-5

YANKS-4

East of Mississippi River-4

West of Mississippi River-5

Keep 'em coming guys.

Sundog, I like your idea of a density map and hereby nominate you for the geographer.

One of my favorite authors came from NC. Robert Ruark.
I was born in Wallace Idaho. It's about 20 mile from the Montana border. My father was born in Encampment Wyoming, close to Laremy. His dad and grandad came from Missori. My mom's folks came from Ohio and their's came from Ireland. I guess I think of myself as a northerner.

FISH4BUGS
03-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Born in Tokyo Japan (Dad was CO of Sugamo Prison after WW2), lived in Spain, Germany, Phillipines, Japan (again) Georgia, New York, Texas, California, Kansas (US Army dependent) and wound up in New Hampshire.
I guess I am a mongrel.
I WAS taught about the "Northern War of Agression" when I was in Georgia, however.

MT Gianni
03-11-2008, 09:51 AM
One of my favorite authors came from NC. Robert Ruark.
I was born in Wallace Idaho. It's about 20 mile from the Montana border. My father was born in Encampment Wyoming, close to Laremy. His dad and grandad came from Missori. My mom's folks came from Ohio and their's came from Ireland. I guess I think of myself as a northerner.

Hobo, We used to see alot of the bumper stickers "Honest, I've never even been to Wallace Idaho" as it was home to one of the last remaining "cat houses" in the Northwest. I'm not insinuating anything about your birth but it did bring a smile to my face as it is a great town. Gianni