PDA

View Full Version : Valve guide hone

abunaitoo
03-17-2015, 04:57 AM
Has anyone tried to use a valve guide hone to enlarge the LEE sizers?????
Seems to me it would work better than the "sandpaper on a rod" method.

farmerjim
03-17-2015, 07:39 AM
No.
why not ?
Cost.
The "sandpaper on a rod" method works good, fast, and is cheep

oldfart1956
03-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Not a valve guide hone but I use a wheel cylinder hone quite often to open up things. Lee sizing dies, lubesizer dies, resizing/decapping dies etc. Brownells sells it as a "bore hone" but trust me...it's a wheel cylinder hone. Available at most auto parts stores and online. Replacement hone stones are cheap. If it fits in the hole...it works. The smallest size I found was the 1/2 inch hone but a little tinkering will get it down to .450. I'm just sayin' is all. Audie...the Oldfart.

abunaitoo
03-18-2015, 03:57 PM
Need something smaller than the cylinder hone. I got a few of them. To big.
Ball hones are a little pricy, but would last a while and cut faster.
If I can find a cheap one, I'll try it.

fast ronnie
03-20-2015, 12:26 AM
I haven't used my valve guide hone on a sizing die, but I use it quite often on valve guides. There is no reason it wouldn't work if you have one and have the right arbor. BUT if you don't have one, or a good reason to buy one, they are very expensive. I've had mine for at least 15 years, and I paid about $500 for it then. You might find a used one, though. Abetter option would be to find someone with an old sunnen bench hone and buy the correct size arbor for it. Arbors are give or take $50 and they also fit in the valve guide hone driver by grinding off a small tab on the side. There are a lot of those old sunnen hones around, and they sell pretty cheap for the old ones. The problem is that individual arbors can get pricey if you need a lot of different sizes.