PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs #319 4 cavity

FISH4BUGS
03-16-2015, 09:35 PM
I just got done with another manic casting session. Sunday afternoon and a couple of evenings in the shed produced a large coffee can full of these monsters - they are 200 grain 38/357 cast swc. This is from a 4 cavity mould. They look just like an H&G #51 stretched out a bit. They are supposed to be for the 357 maximum, but hey......the 38 used to have a 200gr bullet....the Police Special load.
I can't tell you nicely this mould cast. I use a lee 20lb pot and once you set the mould guide and get the mould up to temperature (it took about full 6 casts), the bullets just keep on coming. A gentle tap dropped them out.
I think I must have done 25 + lbs of lead. They key was mould temperature. I used the BruceB Speedcasting method, which is a wet washrag to cool the mould.
I was always concerned with water being around a hot mould and molten lead but I quickly realized the water evaporates instantly when you put the hot mould on the washrag.
Lots of steam. i roll the mould over on both sides, bottom and lastly the sprue when I needed to cool it down. That keeps the mould temperature down. All I had to do was watch the frostiness on the bullets and cool the mould when it got a little too frosty. That would buy me about three or four more casts before heating up again.
I am going to experiment with this bullet in 357. It is a plain base but I hope to be able to drive it to about 1300 fps. That should make a pretty stout load, particularly in the Rossi 92.
If anyone has any load data on a 200 gr bullet in 38 special or 357, let me know.

mattw
03-16-2015, 10:07 PM
I use 3.4 to 3.5 of Unique with the 200 grainer... kinda fun but not really useful. Very accurate at 15 yards in a snub nose model 10.

FISH4BUGS
03-16-2015, 10:31 PM
I use 3.4 to 3.5 of Unique with the 200 grainer... kinda fun but not really useful. Very accurate at 15 yards in a snub nose model 10.

You are quite correct if you are talking the 38 Special load. Someone on the S&W forum said it was so slow you could almost watch the bullets hit the berm.
This bullet makes far more sense in 357. That's the one I am looking forward to experimenting with. But I should at least TRY it in a 38. Mine is a 3" square butt Model 36 S&W. Great carry gun.