PDA

View Full Version : First shots with 1-48 paper patch

Harleysboss
03-16-2015, 04:51 PM
I have been compiling components to try and paper patch my 54cal Lyman Trade Rifle with a 1-48 twist. I started out with Hornady Great Plains Bullets 425grn HBHP. I had a sizing die made at .532. I sized the bullets and got rid of the lube on them. I had to experiment with different papers to get the fit that was right.(Seems like my bore is over sized). I settled on two wraps of printer paper.
So at the range today I loaded my first three shots with 70grn of ffg Goex. My load was powder followed by a card wad followed by the pp bullet. Stayed at 50 yards today. First 3 were centered on the target with about a 3" group. Not bad but would like to see it tighter. I moved up to 80gr ffg and fired another 3 shot string. This time impact was about 3" right of center but much tighter 1.5".
The AR crowd started to show up so I called it quits for the day. I was surprised with the results. I will increase the load next session until things open back up. Maybe 80 is going to be the sweet spot. Time will tell. If things work out I will have a mold made for this rifle. I will tweek the diameter of the bullet so that I can use the #9 onion paper that I use for my "HOT ROD" Deer Stalker. 50cal 1-28 GM LRH barrel.

oldracer
03-16-2015, 09:13 PM
There will be some others reply to this as paper patching is an interesting thing to try. I tried double wrap on both my 45 caliber slug guns but have about settled on the Chase system (single wrap) as it seems better. I also found that the paper patch bullets seem to want a higher powder load as with lubed bullets I used 80 grains but had to go up to 90 with the paper?

johnson1942
03-16-2015, 10:53 PM
this paperpatching bullets is a growing thing. addictive because it is so easy and accurate. i wonder who invented it in the old days? it was a very smart thing to do.

crossxsticks
03-17-2015, 01:30 AM
i sure glad to see you working up a pp load for a 48 twist . please keep us updated on your progressif you get yours shooting tight ill try my new englander :razz:

OverMax
03-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Should be a interesting challenge. As far as what I know about P/P. "It ain't as easy as many think." but it appears Harleyboss is off to a good start.

Harleysboss
03-17-2015, 11:56 AM
I am relatively new to PP but I have used it with much success in my fast twist 50cals. I have followed idahoron and johnson1942 and the info that they have both provided to get me started. My 54 was just leaning in the corner and I got an itch to try PP in it. Wasnt even sure it would work but I ran some numbers in twist calculators and asked questions and found a relatively short bullet for caliber might work. So far its showing that it will. My shots yesterday were cutting clean holes so the bullet seems stable. I'm going to try a single wrap next time and start to increase the range.

johnson1942
03-26-2015, 05:32 PM
if the shooters with the big bore .58 mini bal guns resized that mini ball and did the single wrap system they could up the charge a little and really get tight groups and turn that gun into a rally big game hunter. they could drop any game in north america like a freight train hit them. paper patch isnt just for the .40/s .45/s or .50/s its for any bore.

crossxsticks
04-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Johnson i bet that is for sure, i been shooting a huntsman 50 cal with 50 SW pp and tickled to death with results , hits harder than anything i have shot in a ML

johnson1942
04-04-2015, 04:14 PM
your right, i dont know why more muzzleloader shooters dont use paperpatch as it is so easy in every way. accurate , hits hard, no leading the bore and can use more powder behind the bullet. the loading isnt messy and they go down the bore so easy.