PDA

View Full Version : Lee Bulge Buster Base Sizing Kit

ncbearman
03-15-2015, 01:17 PM
Once in a while I the case will bulge on me as I load my .45's Sometimes at the top where the projectile is seated and sometimes at the bottom. Do you have any experience with the Lee Bulge Buster? I have run the finished boolit into the case sizing die but it often removes the crimp and the projectile is loose in the case. Your Advice is appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882261/lee-bulge-buster-base-sizing-kit-380-auto-40-s-and-w-45-acp?cm_vc=ProductFinding

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2015, 01:46 PM
The Bulge buster kit, Is designed to use the Lee FCD to remove the bulge from spent cases that were fired in guns that don't have a fully supported chamber.

Are you wanting to squeeze a bulge out of loaded ammo ?
I don't think that is wise.
If you are getting bulges when seating boolits, you cases are sized too small, you should consider getting a larger case expander die, like the Lyman M die.

huntnman
03-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Lee's instructions states that you can run loaded ammo through the bulge buster. I have done so with no problem, other than the first time user's, pucker factor, of pushing live ammo through the die. The ram has a radius so as to not put pressure on the primer.
Fixed the problem I was having with some rounds not fully chambering.

dualsport
03-15-2015, 02:32 PM
Lee's instructions states that you can run loaded ammo through the bulge buster. I have done so with no problem, other than the first time user's, pucker factor, of pushing live ammo through the die. The ram has a radius so as to not put pressure on the primer.

Yep. Exactly what it was made for. Solves problems.

ncbearman
03-15-2015, 02:59 PM

Yep. Exactly what it was made for. Solves problems.

The Bulge buster kit, Is designed to use the Lee FCD to remove the bulge from spent cases that were fired in guns that don't have a fully supported chamber.

Are you wanting to squeeze a bulge out of loaded ammo ?
I don't think that is wise.
If you are getting bulges when seating boolits, you cases are sized too small, you should consider getting a larger case expander die, like the Lyman M die.

What is an M die and its purpose?

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2015, 08:16 PM
The M die is a expander die.
It expands the case to the correct size.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/pistolmdie.php

gpidaho
03-16-2015, 01:16 AM
Of course you should always fix the problem causing you grief, but as the bulge is already there the bulge buster is made to fix this. Unless the bulge is way down on the case it can usually be taken care of with just the FCD, then go back and FIX THE PROBLEM! GP

ncbearman
03-16-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree whole heartedly gp. Its somewhat confusing to me how a .45 case will appear bulged after seating my .452 boolit. Its almost as if the case inside diameter is too small. It happens quite frequently. I'm using RCBS dies. Will the M die that jonb mentioned solve that problem?

dualsport
03-16-2015, 12:53 PM
The Bulge Buster sizes the case after it's loaded. Like an insurance policy to be certain your ammo will chamber when it counts the most.

ncbearman
03-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Is the problem I have described above "common" with y'all? Bulged cases after seating.

Bonz
03-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I only see that happen to my ammo when I seat the projectile too deep and it comes in contact with the web of the brass

ncbearman
03-16-2015, 04:44 PM
My seat depth is where it is supposed to be and I still get bulge. Where does the "web of the brass" start? Are you referring to the base?

gunwonk
03-17-2015, 12:59 AM
Is the problem I have described above "common" with y'all? Bulged cases after seating.
I get the bulge with certain brands of schlock range brass. I've seen some .45 brass with neck walls way too thick (bulge), and some with neck walls way too thin (won't hold a bullet). Check your headstamps, maybe that'll narrow it down for you.

ncbearman
03-17-2015, 09:46 AM
I get the bulge with certain brands of schlock range brass. I've seen some .45 brass with neck walls way too thick (bulge), and some with neck walls way too thin (won't hold a bullet). Check your headstamps, maybe that'll narrow it down for you.

Thanks gunwonk. I have never really been a fan of sorting headstamps but as I keep running into issues there are several things that could be contributed to irregularities in the different brass manufacturers. Last night I rigged up the RCBS turret with the case kicker and knocked out 1000 sized and de-primed. I have a small tumbler so I thought I would start separating headstamps to eliminate another variable. Just another instance of me being on the right track but someone else that has already been there. Like gp said above, eliminate the problem.Thanks for confirmation gents.

xman777
03-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Do you first size your bullet to 452 with a push through sizer? Have you mic'd the projectiles en mass to be sure that they are all uniform? Maybe redundant in asking, I'd just like to know for my own curiosity.

ncbearman
03-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Do you first size your bullet to 452 with a push through sizer? Have you mic'd the projectiles en mass to be sure that they are all uniform? Maybe redundant in asking, I'd just like to know for my own curiosity.

np Yes I lube and size with my LAM to .452 and spot check after. Cast boolits are probably the most consistent thing in all this. It's looking like the cases are the biggest variable at this point.

plesant3
03-21-2015, 08:39 AM
I swear by these dies - I've got all three (.380, .40 and .45) and use them on ALL range brass before I load and ALL my loads before firing to guarantee proper chambering. They eliminate the inconsistency found on fired cases from different guns before loading, especially those fired with hotter loads in not-fully-supported chambers, and FULLY size the case - something regular sizing dies simply can't do because of the portion of the case that is held in the shellholder.

I even set up an old, spare single-stage press with the .45 Bulge Buster die and leave it there permanently so it's available whether I'm loading on the Rock Chucker of the Dillon progressive.

Lee would not recommend their use on loaded rounds if there was ANY chance of problems, given today's product-liability concerns. I've never had a bullet loosened or crimp removed with them as I did when I tried using the sizer die to perform this task when I first started reloading...long before Lee even thought about making this die.

I consider them the most innovative loading tool design ever! Now if someone could just come up with a way to incorporate one into a progressive press...

Bud

ncbearman
03-21-2015, 09:37 AM
haha Thanks!

WTB- .45 Bulge Buster [smilie=s:

Iowa Fox
03-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I got my 45acp bulge buster kit from Titan reloading a sponser here. Great folks to deal with. I wouldn't be without the bulge buster or a Dillon case gage anymore.

gpidaho
04-12-2015, 12:49 AM
ncbearman, sounds like your making progress. I'm a big fan of the Lyman M-Die, use them in almost every cal. I load. One problem I came across was while I was using the 38spl 357mag M-Die to enlarge 9mm luger. (I shoot boolits sized .358 in the 9mm) The 9 being so short you can't take advantage of the flaring feature without causing a bulge as the case thickens toward the base so I simply expand as far as I can without bulging the case, then flare with the Lee universal expander. Factory crimp dies and bulge busters are just working tools to fix problems already made and again in my opinion not a tool to incorporate into your regular routine. Good shooting! GP

xacex
04-17-2015, 04:01 AM
If you are having problems chambering rounds there is something wrong with the load. The bulge buster swages down bullets in the case, and I do not believe it should be used with a cast boolit. Now, if you are running your cases through before they are loaded that is another story, and I would use it for that. Using it for loaded rounds is a bandaid for another issue that should be fixed, and will eventually lead to leading with cast boolits.

gunoil
04-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Best thing for you to buy is a cartridged gage for 45 or 9,etc.. That will help you the most. Taughtme how to load and caught my mistakes.

The lee buldge buster kit has nothing to do with top of brass, below in pic is a piece of range brass dirty & decapped, see how far it drops in: All it swages is the very lowest 1/4" inch of brass.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/4C38FFA8-2D6A-4A6D-869B-ADC8AFB63F56_zpsmg8fobeh.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/4C38FFA8-2D6A-4A6D-869B-ADC8AFB63F56_zpsmg8fobeh.jpg.html)
1)DOUBLE SIDED 3m TAPE HOLD PUNCH IN PLACE.
2)l cut top of die's off and screw in like u see from top.

I do love to case base swage and prep brass, its fun , relaxing and beautiful perfection. Takes a huge amount of force but not with arbor press from Harborfreightfreight.
1/2 ton $39
1 ton $53 out the door here. (i seat my gas checks with it too).

I do live ammo as the book say but not often, just the very few that are being aggravating after coming out of press.

Arbor press also allows me to check each headstamp of brass while swaging.

LIKE I SAID ABOVE: I JUST LIKE DOING CASE BASE SWAGE'ING AND PLAIN BASE GAS CHECKS.
The most enjoyable station in my shop, the arbor press. (on youtube too)

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/94937606-2804-4906-AFE5-58D552B4FF26_zpsxxapnf72.jpg (http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/putt2012/media/94937606-2804-4906-AFE5-58D552B4FF26_zpsxxapnf72.jpg.html)

I learned all this here on cb from other members, arbor, best press in my shop, a must.
----------------------------------------
brevity & misspelling rampant

W.R.Buchanan
04-20-2015, 03:49 PM
As "gunoil" stated above the Bulge Busting operation is strictly a case prep operation. It has nothing to do with the loaded rounds. You are simply returning the cases to cylindrical form so that they can be reloaded normally.

IF you have other bulges after you load those preprocessed cases then you have some other problem that is NOT designed to be fixed by the Bulge Buster Process.

If you were loading .44 Magnum cases and you ended up with severely bulged case that wouldn't chamber would you stuff it back into the sizing die to fix it? I hope not!

Or would you take it apart and figure out why it is not right?

Apply this same logic to your Auto Pistol Rounds.

The Bulge Buster Process is for the sole purpose of removing a case bulge at the base of the case caused by firing in a large chamber. This is a common occurrence with Auto Pistol Ammo.

It is NOT intended to remove bulges from poorly seated boolits or other problems you create when loading your ammo.

You need to fix these problems another way...

There are many threads explaining this whole process. I know this because I have commented on it many times. I also am the person who suggested to Lee that they build this kit.

Randy

kf4zht
04-22-2015, 09:32 AM
I run all my 9 through a BB after several failed rounds. I use all range pickup brass so some has been glocked. Once you get going its a pretty quick process.

There are 2 main issues that I have with it
1 - Getting the case lined up on the die
2 - The cases can catch the lip of the holder box and knock it off, spilling everywhere

Both of these can be easily fixed by running in an arbor press or upside down. One of my project on the list is to flip a cheap lee press and rework the linkage for this and the push through sizers.

Maximumbob54
04-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I don't see it mentioned but I may have missed it. Sizing with carbide sizers usually makes "wasp waist" cases after bullet seating. No sizing die (short of a push through) is going to size the whole case body so you get the base up about not quite and eighth of an inch that never touches the sizer due to the shell holder or plate. Then you seat that bullet and you see the hour glass looking effect from the sizing die. For whatever physics reasoning it's more pronounced with carbide sizing. I've tried sizing a .38 special case with an old steel sizing die (I think it was an old Lyman) and a new RCBS carbide sizing die and it was easy to see when setting next to each other. Maybe it's harder on the case wall in the long run but I've reloaded the same .38 and .45 cases soooooo many times now and the case mouth failing from crimping so many times is almost always what fails. It happens but it's hyper rare that a case wall finally fails.

flyingrhino
04-22-2015, 09:44 AM
I use it for the odd round that fails the plunk test. Works like a charm.

gunoil
04-26-2015, 04:12 PM
I run all my 9 through a BB after several failed rounds. I use all range pickup brass so some has been glocked. Once you get going its a pretty quick process.

There are 2 main issues that I have with it
1 - Getting the case lined up on the die
2 - The cases can catch the lip of the holder box and knock it off, spilling everywhere

Both of these can be easily fixed by running in an arbor press or upside down. One of my project on the list is to flip a cheap lee press and rework the linkage for this and the push through sizers.

Just goto harbor freight a buy a needed station for your shop like pics above.
1) 39$ 1/2 ton arbor
2) 53$ for the 1 ton arbor.
3) dont beat your brains out, they hurt worst @ 62.
4) you can seat gas checks
5) you can case base swage with redding kit, (or bb as some call it).
6) you will thank us all for this station. (the arbor press).
7) your words: a cheap lee press does not have the leverage of arbor.
----------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant

retread
04-26-2015, 04:44 PM
If you are having problems chambering rounds there is something wrong with the load. The bulge buster swages down bullets in the case, and I do not believe it should be used with a cast boolit. Now, if you are running your cases through before they are loaded that is another story, and I would use it for that. Using it for loaded rounds is a bandaid for another issue that should be fixed, and will eventually lead to leading with cast boolits.

I agree! You go to all the trouble to size your bullet to match your bore and then swag in down after loading so you can get leading, poor accuracy and keyholing? Fix the problem at the source.

Char-Gar
04-26-2015, 04:54 PM
It is very common for straight walled handgun cases to show a "wasp waist" when sized in a carbide die and loaded with a bullet. This is due to the carbide die reducing the case and then the expander opening it up to receive the bullet.

Though some may think this unsightly, it does no harm to the ammo produced, other than reduce case life due to over working of the brass.

When you run loaded rounds, through a sizing die, you will squeeze down the bullet and make them loose in the case. This does nothing good for accuracy.

I have loaded more than a million straight walled handgun rounds and done so without a Lee Bulge Buster. I understand it is made to size cases farther down than an ordinary FL sizing die can reach. There are some pistols, the Glock among them, that produced fired cases that cannot be fully sized with a conventional die.

I have two Glock pistol, but do not load for them, so I can't really say. However, I load 9mms for my Sig, Browning Hi-Power and Uzi Carbine and have found need for this Lee die. I also load many 45 ACP rounds without troubles.

Char-Gar
04-26-2015, 05:10 PM
I would like to concur that a cheap Harbor Freight 1 ton Arbor Press is a wonderful addition to the reloading bench. I size many cases with it using old Lyman push through sizing die. These will size the case right down to the rim and I can guarantee there will be no bulges. Once you get a rhythm going, it is quit fast. The cases produce will also not be over worked like in a press mounted carbide die.

The press is shown with a 45 Colt die, but I have these dies for over 40 different rounds, including almost all straight walled handgun cases. I don't have one in 32 S&W long, but I am on the hunt for one.

prs
04-26-2015, 06:41 PM
I use Bulge Buster (BB) only on empty cases. The BB uses the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die (CFCD). The CFCD does not size smaller than Lee's regular size/deprime die, in theory it sizes to a slightly larger diameter, toward MAX tolerance of industry standard. Its about the only use I have found for the CFCD and quite frankly, I do not use it much at that; stepped on brass, or Glocked range pick-up. My Glock shoots my hand loads only and the brass is not Glocked.

prs

gunoil
04-26-2015, 09:49 PM
I agree! You go to all the trouble to size your bullet to match your bore and then swag in down after loading so you can get leading, poor accuracy and keyholing? Fix the problem at the source.

photo in post 22.

The bb kit does nothing to the projectile. It only touches the bottom 1/4" of the round/case. It is a carbide ring only. Most say the lee fcd mashes the projectile but the lee bb kit is not a FCD. Niether is the redding bb kit. Lee sends the Makarov fcd without any guts for their bb kit for 9mm. If you use a cartridge gage, the bb kit is handy.

Many people do not understand what bb kit is or as redding calls theirs a case base swaging kit. Many do not use a cartridge gage. Alot of 9mm need the case base swage. Lee states u can bb live ammo.9mm can be aggravating, straight walled not so much.

Prs, u know better! ala loadmastervideos forum.The bb kit is a FCD without the guts.

WR Buchanan understand's what a bb kit is.

MT Chambers
04-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Saves alot of time on loaded rounds, size the case and the bullet at the same time.

kf4zht
04-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Just goto harbor freight a buy a needed station for your shop like pics above.
1) 39$ 1/2 ton arbor
2) 53$ for the 1 ton arbor.
3) dont beat your brains out, they hurt worst @ 62.
4) you can seat gas checks
5) you can case base swage with redding kit, (or bb as some call it).
6) you will thank us all for this station. (the arbor press).
7) your words: a cheap lee press does not have the leverage of arbor.
----------------------------
brevity&misspelling rampant

Didn't realize the HF presses were that cheap. I'm used to arbor presses costing several hundred, but have only looked at the nicer ones. Guess I'm running by HF, needed to pick up one of the mini-chop saws also.

Iowa Fox
04-29-2015, 01:18 AM
Didn't realize the HF presses were that cheap. I'm used to arbor presses costing several hundred, but have only looked at the nicer ones. Guess I'm running by HF, needed to pick up one of the mini-chop saws also.

Don't forget to take your 20% off coupon.

gloob
04-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Yes, it's common. This happens when the sizing die is making the brass a bit on the small side, and especially when you are loading an oversized cast bullet.

The M dies are great, but I don't think they're big enough for a 452 bullet if your die is tight enough to make bulges at the base of the seated projectile. The pistol M die expanders are generally about 2 mils smaller than jacketed bullet diamter, which for 45ACP would be 448. I would, personally, be buying a plug that is .451 or maybe even 452 for use with your sizing die and your bullets. Those sizes are available from NOE.

BTW, if you get a bigger expander, it is not going to solve your "bulge problem." The brass will still be bulged, only it will be bulged before you even seat your bullet. The problem this solves is that your bullets will seat straighter and without deforming the base of the bullet. The bulge, itself, is not a problem.

It sounds to me like your sizing die is tight. If this is your only problem, you do not need a bulge buster. That won't do anything for your problem. If you want the bulge to go away, you need a looser sizing die.

The bb kit does nothing to the projectile. It only touches the bottom 1/4" of the round/case. It is a carbide ring only. Most say the lee fcd mashes the projectile but the lee bb kit is not a FCD.

The bulge buster is an FCD with the steel crimp ring removed. You can buy a bulge buster kit without the FCD if you already have one. The carbide ring is still in the FCD. And this is what squishes bullets. It will most certainly squish a 452 cast projectile in an average case. OP has already stated he is using 452 bullets. So while you can pass loaded ammo through a bulge buster, I would only do it with jacketed ammo.

The only exception is 9mm. You use the larger makarov FCD to bulge bust 9mm brass. Because of the taper, you can, indeed, bulge bust cast 9mm ammo without touching the bullet. But this is the only caliber where this is possible.

gunoil
05-03-2015, 05:11 PM
gloob: this is wrong:"The bulge buster is an FCD with the steel crimp ring removed. " you wroteThe bb kit from lee is a fcd with the guts removed but not the ring.