PDA

View Full Version : Survival kit lunchbox

ABluehound
03-14-2015, 10:06 AM
I have my daily carry items arranged to grab and go in the mornings. knife, wallet, cellphone, recharge battery, multi-tool, keys etc. But, I am really limited by what I can carry. Most irritating is my recharge battery is only good for one and a half recharges to my cell and that is when I remember to recharge it after using it.

I am looking to make a lunchbox to expand my options of carry daily not just end of the world stuff but to expand my daily carry capacity beyond what I can keep on my belt and in my pockets to make life that much easier (and still have room for lunch).

I have been playing around with SolidWorks (a 3D modeling program) with ideas. So far, I have designed it to take built battery pack in for recharging devices such as cellphones through a USB outlet (my test circuit has completely recharged my iPhone 12+ times on a single charge). My battery pack design allows it to be inductively charged sitting on a pad hidden under the floor mat on the passenger side of the truck on the commute to work every day.

Not that anybody would carry it into their work but, the handle which will inconspicuously hold a Glock 17 or 22 magazine in each end. The lid becomes an inch and a half deep 2 compartment lunch plate. Outside dimensions of the box are 10X14X12 in. The box has an area set aside that is 4X8X8 for my extra daily carry stuff some work specific tools I use often. A 8X8X10 in cool box for my lunch with a water bottle that acts as a lid that can be frozen to keep lunch cool(Yes I know water expands when it freezes I have made allowances for this). I have a stamped sheet metal liner designed to go into the lunch compartment that could be used as a camp pot too. If lucky I can find a off the shelf Tupperware style container that fits. I am thinking of adding a vac-u-formed nesting bowl that could survive microwaving on a daily basis too. I still have to research stable food-safe plastic for the lid and nesting bowl.

Construction would be vacuum-formed plastic liner and lid, fiberglass shell and molded plastic handle and spray in oil foam insulation. The computer says final weight would be 3.1 lbs. I thought about adding a docking station for my iPhone with a couple built in speakers and a small audio amp but, I did not want to be limited it when I change to a different cellphone and just settled for a pair of USB charging sockets. The second one will charge my Kindle full of survival books at the same time.

So, now my question... What am I missing? What do you think it needs? What bells and or whistles would make life easier?

ascast
03-14-2015, 10:22 AM
will this be available with a "Planet of the Apes" scene? I like the idea, your getting up to brief case size. I always liked an extra shirt, tie and socks. glass cleaner for your specs and dental floss pics, maybe some qtips, shoe laces

nagantguy
03-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Sounds like a cool project, well thought out. As far as bell and whistles I'd say keep it simple it can already carry your stuff securely and keep lunch hot or cold and double.as a camp pot I'd say built it and use it for one year. At that time do an evaluation and redesign if necessary. Add anything gyou really want/need then, as well as eliminate things that are unnecessary or just don't work out to your specs. I'd love to see photos of your tacti-cool dinner bucket.

Outpost75
03-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Gear list and pictures please! This isn't a lunchbox, but a 1 kg personal survival kit which fits into one, with room to spare for your personal electronics, handgun and ammo, knife etc. Some ideas:

Fenix E01 flashligt and 6AAAs
P38 Opener
Frontier Filter Pro Survival Straw
Water bag (gallon ZipLok)
Betadyne, for water treatment and wound cleansing
Snare Wire
Military SpeedHook
NATO whistle
A REAL laminated glass Signal Mirror
Compass
GuardianSafetyLight
tea candles (2)
3 birthday gag candles (the pyrotechnic kind which don't blow out)
BIC lighter (cable tie under tab to prevent accidental release of butane)
DoanFireTool+striker
NATO Lifeboat Matches
Tinder pack
Fresnel lens (in red Best Glide sleeve)
Leatherman Squirt
VictorinoxRecruit
Pocket sharpening steel
DermaSafe Knife in med kit
DermaSafe Saw
BestGlide WoundPack1
BestGlide MedPack1
Pill fob with 3-day supply of personal meds
QuikClotSport25
Triangular bandage
2 brass blacked bandolier pins
6 assorted cable ties
20ft.550# paracord
survival kit pouch
snap link to attach pouch to gear

I am fairly satisfied with this, in terms of size and weight, but it every time I have actually had to use it, I discover more tweaks to be made! Biggest change was substituting a 1 oz. plastic first aid kit BOTTLE of betadyne, for multiple foil ampules and swabs. Doing so saved enough space to include the Frontier Pro filter straw! But because the filter straw is not adequate to remove all biologicals, chemical treatment remains necessary, so betadyne doubles for water purification as well as wound cleansing.

salty dog
03-14-2015, 11:52 AM
The only EDC item I didn't see listed was a flashlight. You could use one of those laptop lights since you have USB ports available, but I still like something separate and small enough for a pocket.

bedbugbilly
03-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Don't take offense to this . . . but when I read posts about all the "necessities" needed in a bug out kit or survival kit . . . I'm always amazed that they never contain a flint and steel - the old fashioned kind. Easily stored with some char cloth (made from 100% cotton tee shirt) - all stored in a small round tin container with a tight cover. The tin container can have two 1/16" holes drilled on opposite sides so the tin can be used to put additional pieces of your 100% cotton shirt or material in and tossed in to the fire to make new char cloth.

Using a flint and steel is an easily learned survival skill - been used for centuries. I carry such a kit in our car all the time in case we are ever out in the boonies and break down.

Bic lighters - yea they work but they also run out of fuel or break. A good steel will last forever and if you don't have flint, usually another type of stone can be utilized if necessary.

Another necessity is a good folding knife - great for scraping "under bark" (such as from cedars, etc.) for tinder to get a fire going. A combined knife blade/steel would be even better and one less item to carry.

I applaud the OP for his project - sounds like an interesting one. But sometimes I have a problem with understanding the concept of carrying a boatload of stuff for true survival requirements. All the extra "goodies" don't mean a thing if you don't have the "common sense" for survival. Example - yes, a compass is nice but a lot of folks don't have a clue how to use on - or will you have a map to use as a guide. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west . . .

There are basic needs to survive - which may change depending on your geographic location and weather conditions. A source of heat/light/warmth (easily obtained with a flint and steel), food . . . either making sure you carry some or have the means to provide it whether it be recognizing edible plants or a way to obtain protein to keep you going, water . . . recognizing potable sources or how to gather it and shelter . . . knowing how to construct a means of shelter from available materials in nature - whether it be building a lean to, finding a natural occurring shelter, etc. All the other "goodies" in a survival kit are "frosting on the cake" . . . . and most likely, if forced into a survival situation, you aren't going to have all those comforts to draw on . . if you do have them, it will be the difference between a wet, muddy ground to sleep on and the "Motel 6".

koehlerrk
03-15-2015, 02:26 PM
In addition to the other things other here have posted...

Small solar panel to recharge your battery bank, preferably one laminated in plastic so it's not as fragile.
Skeeter net and a small hammock, or maybe a bivvy sak.

W.R.Buchanan
03-15-2015, 06:36 PM
How about using a regular Stanley Lunch box with a false bottom about 2" deep?

Randy

MaryB
03-15-2015, 10:21 PM
I would design in strap attachment points to toss this on your back...

ABluehound
03-16-2015, 01:43 AM
I originally started with the idea of just the lunchbox with the ability to recharge things I use every day like an electric screwdriver and cell phone. I occasionally do remote work and do not have the ability to recharge when away from my truck. I intended to just dump the lunchbox in an emergency situation and grab my survival kit only, then I started liking the idea of having a very light battery handy (it makes a great fire starter too). When I added the 2 Glock magazines, cooking pot, canteen and cutlery I liked the idea of keeping the whole box intact even better and started looking more at ergonomics of carrying long distances.

I like the idea of a tactical LED flashlight that could recharge off the main pack battery. That has my wheels spinning on designing one, who knows I may turn it around and put another USB plug on it to use its battery to charge things too.

I have multiple strap locations sketched out; I was just going to wait till I had a prototype built to nail down specifics after I see where would be the best for me and glass them on after the fact. I considered a solar panel and one may end up on a side, if I had not made it a top opener I would have put one on the top. I was looking at one of the roll up solar panels as part of the kit. As far as the built in components, I am trying to eliminate any place for mechanical failure because of moving parts that wear on wires. I have debated making lead pocket Faraday cage to protect electronics from EMP but that would add another 1.5 lbs to the unit to protect the charge circuit and my cell and kindle. I have a protected database at both of my bug-out locations so I did not feel it was totally necessary considering the odds of an EMP verses other situations.

I have one pocket Faraday cage to fit my cell for other reasons that stays in my truck; I have made similar ones for friends phones and laptops of soldered lead sheet (roofing) that is epoxied inside a wooden box to protect the lead from damage. They work better with a ground hooked up, they work 100% of the time to be sure your cell doesn't connect to the tower when you don't want it to and should protect from an indirect EMP (one that's not right over your head.)

As far as contents of the survival kit itself, I did not want to get into details of its contents since it can be very opinionated. I have a preference for fire pistons, chaga, and my now 23 year old Gerber strike-force and then there is the sealed bearing press fitted into the handle of my slingshot for zero friction pivot point to use in conjunction with a fire bow. I also suggest having a handful of un-lubricated condoms. They can be used for anything from making emergency slingshot bands to carrying water.

There is a product that you can get that is awesome if you can get the old school USA made kind not the inferior Chinese version; a Schrade Honesteel. In addition to being a way to sharpen a knife it also works as a pry-bar which I suggest keeping in your survival kit and it can be used with the sheath to split ribs on game. A great tool to have around that will keep you from doing something foolish that will break your knife. Another Item I suggest to consider is a lock pick and tension wrench as non destructive entry tools. Why make a location difficult to secure by forcing entry (not that it is by any means quiet by the way; doors act as a huge soundboard and its not quiet at all. The zombies will hear you picking the lock if they are inside and want to come say hello). Another one if you find some room for it is a mini heat sealing machine a little hand held gizmo that takes one AA battery that welds plastic bag seams, it would work to weld your space blanket and garbage bags.

Are Stanley lunchboxes insulated?

MaryB
03-17-2015, 01:35 AM
Faraday cage can be made form aluminum screen sewed into shape with fine copper wire. but you would need to drag a ground wire to be most effective.

ABluehound
03-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Yes, it can and should give you enough attenuation to prevent transmission depending on frequency and quality of the mesh you use and distance from the tower. If memory serves the low end of attenuation aluminum screen would be in the neighborhood of -35dB for cell phone frequencies which should be enough though, the lower frequency phones are attenuated less than the higher frequency band phones by distance or air loss. The difference in attenuation between a solid lead enclosure and an Aluminum mesh enclosure can also vary greatly depending on how well sealed they are and the presence of and quality of the ground. My lead was cheap (free) and easy for me to work and is not as susceptible to corrosion once its been painted and not likely to scratch up the cell phone after it is lined with scraps of low profile acoustic foam. Your point does bring up the chance of using RF attenuating material embedded in the fiberglass resin to reach results akin to EMI/RFI shielding paint.

To have protection from an EMP an absolute seal and sufficient thickness of solid lead and even then, without testing you will not know till it happens. My lead pockets only add an coincidental layer of protection from "beyond the horizon" EMP I made mine to cut RF off between the cell and any tower or network and yes, I did have a coworker run some tests to verify it works as intended.

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2015, 08:14 PM
NO,,, the Classic Stanley Lunch Box is just a large plastic box where the lid has a space for a thermos like a normal lunch box. No insulation.

I've had mine for 40+ years and I cut a hole in one end of the lid so that my good Stanley Thermos will fit in it. They are pretty indestructible in most cases.

Randy