PDA

View Full Version : New(to us) Winchester 94 Came Home Today

Alan in Vermont
03-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Finally managed to get the $ together to bring home a very nice 94, early 80s manufacture date. Overall condition is in the high 90% range, not even any rub marks on the loading gate. One very tiny split in the stock where it appears to be a little tight on the inletting, I will need to see about relieving that to see if the crack closes back up.

Only real issue is with the Lyman 66a sight on it. If you look at the close-up of the sight you can see where the rear face of the aperture is not at 90° to the plane of the top of the receiver. Bad enough so that you see the inner end of the aperture which makes it appear as an oval, really nasty to use like that as you tend to lose the nice clear spot in the middle of the aperture. The cross slide that the aperture screws into is very loose in the slot, allowing the aperture to wedge itself upward as it is tightened into the cross slide. If you don't tighten it it is free to move upward probably .050-.060" which is apt to cause stringing. I have no idea how I'm going to fix that short of replacing the sight.

Front sight is a round silver bead, not round with a flat face but hemispherical, which tends to make the spot you aim with chase the light. I pulled that off already and put on a Firesight front bead I had used on my older 94.

On the good side, it shoots! Only tried it on the 50' indoor range as it was nasty chilly and damp outdoors and the outdoor range had either 2" of mud or a sheet of ice to navigate to get to the targets. NOE 311008 over 5.0 of Bullseye stayed in one ragged hole and the sights put them right on the point of aim, even with the oval aperture driving me nuts. My wife hasn't shot anything in years and she was very close to matching my efforts(damn these aging eyes!).

This one belongs to my wife. Our other 94 is mid-70s and fairly rough, a perfect candidate for a JES conversion to 35/30-30. That one was "hers" too and to get it away from her I had to find another 94 that was in better shape than "hers" and preferably would shoot better, a relatively tough order in itself. Initial trials indicate that she has a winner in this one.

I think we got it for a decent price although I might have dickered more had I realized the rear sight has issues. $425 out the door, which includes 6% sales tax.

TXGunNut
03-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Very nice, have a few made in that era and all are shooters. Sight is obviously not right, either wrong model or damaged.

Scharfschuetze
03-14-2015, 01:13 AM
Take the sight base off and then see if the screw holes are parallel or line up with the axis of the bore. I'd be willing to bet that they are not and that the forward hole was drilled too low. If that's the case, you'll be able to drill and tap next to them and when the sight's back on, it'll cover up the old holes. Over the years, I've had two rifles that had that issue.

Looks like you'll have a good time working up loads for it and that sight, looks like a Lyman 66, should be the just the ticket for good tight shot groups.

Alan in Vermont
03-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Take the sight base off and then see if the screw holes are parallel or line up with the axis of the bore. .

The alignment of the base is fine. The problem is in the fit of what Lyman calls the "aperture", the part that rides on the windage adjustment screw and which the "aperture disc" screws into.

"The cross slide that the aperture screws into is very loose in the slot, allowing the aperture to wedge itself upward as it is tightened into the cross slide. If you don't tighten it it is free to move upward probably .050-.060" "

I swapped the disc that was in it for a Williams (Williams calls this part the "aperture", nothing like being on the same page for the nomenclature) aperture. The "back" of the Williams aperture is dead flat whereas the Lyman has a taper. The Williams tightens into place without rotating upward, the taper on the Lyman forces it to move upward. Not a fix as it can still move up, just doesn't get forced up. The movement is enough that it comes out to about 3.5 MOA that the shooters end of the aperture moves, enough to mess up any great grouping efforts.

I thought maybe the cross-travel slot was spread somewhat, letting the "aperture" to move in the slot. It's not, same width all across it's length.

Williams sights have a different design, the comparable part on their sight is long enough, front to rear, that it can't rotate around the windage screw. My camera doesn't focus close enough for me to get pics which would really help clarify all this.

hpdrifter
03-14-2015, 01:29 PM
Is there enough room to epoxy or solder a piece of shim stock to the aperture base?

bouncer50
03-14-2015, 01:41 PM
I like the idea of 35 30/30 a long case neck a good cast bullet shooter.

Alan in Vermont
03-14-2015, 02:46 PM
Is there enough room to epoxy or solder a piece of shim stock to the aperture base?

I'm hoping there is, as soon as I find my feeler gauges I'll explore that option.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-15-2015, 09:55 PM
The 35/30 is perhaps our oldest wildcat. Loaded with cast bullet (Lyman) 358009 which weighs approximately 250 grains it is a formidable/potent number for bigger game. Of course you have to reform your own brass for it and with the max loading allowed it will kick like a blue mule and you will not spend most of the afternoon trying to plink with it, but you will probably be the only guy on the block with a 94 like this. LLS

TXGunNut
03-16-2015, 01:05 AM
The 35/30 is perhaps our oldest wildcat. Loaded with cast bullet (Lyman) 358009 which weighs approximately 250 grains it is a formidable/potent number for bigger game. Of course you have to reform your own brass for it and with the max loading allowed it will kick like a blue mule and you will not spend most of the afternoon trying to plink with it, but you will probably be the only guy on the block with a 94 like this. LLS

Perhaps. As much as I like the 35 bore I'd vote for the 38-55. It's not unpleasant to shoot at BP velocities. It's a cartridge early 94's were chambered for and JES can rebore it to use .375 boolits. Then again, there's nothing wrong with a good thutty-thutty.