PDA

View Full Version : Henry .44... maximum longevity load ? 1300 fps ??

10mmShooter
03-13-2015, 09:05 PM
Hello Gents,

Got my Henry running great now the key was sizing to .432. Anyway I have now chrono'd lots of loads from 1300-1500 fps for my cast 240 gr LFN bullet.

So I need to settle in on a load that wont beat it to death. I want to stick with my cast 240 gr LFN bullet, I figure if a .44 mag S&W N frame revovler can shoot lead bullets at 1100 fps for a lifetime.

What would be a similar load for a Henry lever action to get maximum life from the barrel and not beat up the bolt and action, it is a rifle so I have to think it can withstand a steady diet of 1300 fps 240 gr cast bullets for a very very long time.(again given a .44 mag revolver can eat 1100 fps rounds forever). I can hit 1300 fps easily with AA#7 around 13.5 grs, and easily with SR-4756 around 11 gr. AA#9 will do 1300 at 15 grains(although thats a lite #9 charge)

thoughts ? is 1300fps too high for long life ??

Outpost75
03-13-2015, 09:19 PM
For a fun recreational load I use 7 grains of Bullseye with a 230-grain Cowboy bullet, Accurate 43-230G in my .44 Magnum Ruger and Marlin.

JimA
03-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Henry says their Big Boys will eat a steady diet of Buffalo Bore ammo which is a whole lot stouter than your load.

fecmech
03-27-2015, 08:51 PM
Your .44 mag load @ 1300 fps (out of a rifle) is just a slightly warm .44 special load. I wouldn't worry about the rifle.

missionary5155
03-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Good morning
I have a Model 1876 made by Chapparel. Had no desire to hot rod it either. Yes it made with better materials than an original. But if I need more than "original" power I have other lever rifles that will do the needed chore.
Now your Henry is not as was built the original model "Henry Iron frame rifle". Henry Rifle now make a model that is very similar but again with far better metal. If I ever buy one of the so called "Origonal Henry" replicas I would follow the same plan as I did with my 1876 Chappy replica.
Started by loading my 50-95 case with as much 3F as it would hold with my intended bullet which is a 350 grain. I fired several of these loads over my Chrony to get my base line velocity which is about 1460 FPS. This load near duplicates the original 300 grain load of about 1500 FPS. I wanted better penetration at 100 yards if needed so thus my choice of the heavier 350 grain boolit which ballisticly will out perform the 300 grainer at any distance. Winchester used the 300 (actually a 285 grain) to achieve the 1500 fps advertising goal.
I next decided upon a proven low pressure slower burning powder in this case 5744. I called the manufacturer to get their input and they happily gave me some guidelines. I took their basic suggestions for a start load then worked up to my "max load" area. I also passed my info back to the manufacturer for future testing.
Bottom line... I have no worry of over stressing my replica 1876. Cases eject easily. If my load with a 350 grain caliber 50 lead bullet will not do what is necessary I will get a 50 Alaskan.
Actually I shoot 3x more with the 3F load than using smokeless. I have yet to find a smokeless load that can duplicate the accuracy that rifle shoots with 3F. 5744 comes close but close is not good enough to me. I do not mind the clean up. My cases expand and seal with the 3F and there is not any "crud" in the rifle behind the neck area. 3F burns very clean in all my BP cartridge rifles and pistols and aids a lot with follow up shots. I run a damp patch down the bore of the 50-95 after 20 rounds but one day plan on not doing so at the range and find out just when accuracy falls off.
So that is what I would do if I had one of the "original Henry" replicas. Again if you have the standard production model Henry Big Bore I would follow their guidelines. But do load a couple cases with some 3F and you will probably discover the real accuracy potential of that barrel.
Mike in Peru