[smilie=s:

pworley1
03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Mileage.

tryNto
03-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Can't tell the Mileage by looks.
Most people go by looks as to age.
Why do you think plastic surgery is such a high volume business.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
03-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Wisdom.

Clay M
03-13-2015, 06:55 PM
I am old..and I feel it..I need to have my cardiac health evaluated again before I do all the hard work that needs doing around this place..

koehlerrk
03-13-2015, 06:57 PM
My grandpa used to say, in his heavy German accent, "Too schoon oldt, too ladte schmart!"

So, when folks started telling me I was their go-to guy for answers... I knew.

Clay M
03-13-2015, 07:21 PM
But ..I would rather kick the bucket working hard than to die with Alzheimers like both my parents did..
I think getting over heated is really bad for you.. Might not die, just have a stroke..
I have already told my family if I die, have me cremated and put my ashes on the hill where I hunted all my life.. Take the rest of the money and have a party..
No need in wasting it on a fancy funeral..
There is such a thing as living too long.My wife visited her folks this weekend..They are both 92.They are incontinent and hardly know anyone..
Bed sores and misery.
Trust me,I don't want to end up like this..I do not want to be a burden on my family..
I suffered many years taking care of aging parents with Alzheimer's
If was a true relief when they died.. Not as much for me ,but for them..

jcwit
03-13-2015, 07:52 PM
I retired at the "old" age of 58, have enjoyed retirement now for 13 years.

Life is good.

white eagle
03-13-2015, 08:03 PM
turn 57 in 3 days
work as a bricklayer,mason and keep up with all the guys working next to me
out of the blue my foreman says c'mon old guy or something to that effect
just got me wondering is all
wife says I look younger than most of the guys my age
well guess it don't really make that much of a difference in 5 short years
I to will be retired

Clay M
03-13-2015, 08:24 PM
I am supposed to be retired, but my wife and daughter are both sick..so I stay busy..
Just don't have to do stuff I don't want to do anymore..
The weather is good so I may get to cast some great bullets soon..
That and shoot my .308's and .45/70's That is life ..
Playing guitar and castings bullets for my favorite rifles..So many dreams ..so little time..
I am having a blast.I know how to enjoy life better as I have gotten older..
I try to never get upset about anything..
Drink good wine,love your family and friends and do the best you can..

bikerbeans
03-13-2015, 08:30 PM
I think you are old when you glance at a woman in her 20s and she either laughs or calls 911.

BB

tallwalker
03-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I think you are old when you glance at a woman in her 20s and she either laughs or calls 911.

BB

Worse than that, she doesn't even notice you!

Clay M
03-13-2015, 08:46 PM
I have enjoyed every stage of life..I would love to be young again, but only if I had the knowledge I have now..But then I am sure I would make a whole different set of mistakes..so Enjoy the life you have now..for it is what you have.

oneokie
03-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Old is a state of mind.
Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

walkswithsticks
03-13-2015, 09:39 PM
Ever look at a pretty girl and wonder what her mother looks like?

bbs70
03-13-2015, 09:51 PM
Ever look at a girl & can't remember why you're looking at her

blaser.306
03-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Your only as old as the woman you feel! LOL ( true story ) So I have been told?

Teddo
03-13-2015, 10:08 PM
According to my grandmother you know you are old when your grandson orders off the senior menu at Denny's...She mads it to 93 all on her own.... I think old age is a subjective thing, depends on how much it hurts to get out of bed in the morning..Teddo

JWFilips
03-13-2015, 10:21 PM
I never felt old ( or my age) right up through age 60. Always thought most folks were older then me until I found out I was wrong :shock:

Then just one year latter at 61 I started seeing more people holding doors open for me or offering me a helping hand carrying things etc...I thought wow folks are really getting better manors then I remember!!!:-o

Now at age 62, more folks are asking my opinion and wanting to hear my old stories! & I have been called an "Old Man" many many times in the past year by other drivers ( along with a number of hand jestures which I will not mention) So I guess somewhere between 60 and 62 I must have crossed some sort of boundary line!:bigsmyl2:

I'm starting to enjoy folks opening doors and listening to my lame old stories ...the hand jestures, not so much!

Still haven't had a meal at a restaurant at the old age discount price but maybe I should start taking them up on that.

And Another thing I noticed is that the guys on the firing line at out local range look to me to call "all clear" or "going hot" either it is seniority thing or they don't trust my hearing!!!:shock:

TXGunNut
03-13-2015, 10:34 PM
I feel pretty old @ work sometimes, even the guys who've been doing what we do for 20+ years ask me how to do stuff. Boss was having to help out today and poor guy had to ask me a lot of questions. Feels pretty good to come here, I'm practically a youngster around here!

Clay M
03-13-2015, 10:58 PM
'Well you know ,that your over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill"
I believe it was Lowell George that said that.

Hardcast416taylor
03-13-2015, 11:05 PM
I tell people that I`m so old that I can remember when dirt was clean! Another favorite quote of mine is, I can remember when "Ring" was a puppy! "Ring" was the name of the bulldog on the old "Our Gang" comedies back in the 30`s for you young people that never saw them.Robert

Frank46
03-13-2015, 11:12 PM
When you get called either "pops" or "Gramps" by people you don't even know. And yes had this happen to me. Frank

MaryB
03-13-2015, 11:20 PM
Lets see, gray hair? Check. Joints that all snap pop creak when I move? Check. I am getting old lol

gmsharps
03-14-2015, 12:45 AM
I picked up a new person up at the flight line yesterday and last night at the mess hall ( now days the DEFAC) we had a casual conversation with me feeling him out about if he had been deployed before as it turns out he had 3 times when he was in the military. He stated he had been in for 14 years before getting out and I asked when he had gone in and it turns out I had retired from the military 10 years before he had gone in. It sunk in then that maybe I have started to get old. I firmly believe that wars should be fought by the younger generation so maybe it's time to go home.

gmsharps

tommag
03-14-2015, 01:42 AM
I'm very young looking for my age, even catch the girls smiling (or is that giggling) when they look at me. All my friends say I'm not that good looking, but they need new glasses, I think. I pasted a photo of myself when I was 20 on my mirror, and I still look good when I look in the mirror.

tryNto
03-14-2015, 03:11 AM
I tell people that I`m so old that I can remember when dirt was clean! Another favorite quote of mine is, I can remember when "Ring" was a puppy! "Ring" was the name of the bulldog on the old "Our Gang" comedies back in the 30`s for you young people that never saw them.Robert
Actually his name was Pete, mostly called Petey.

Pete the Pup (January 22, 1929 – January 28, 1946) was an American Staffordshire Terrier character in Hal Roach's Our Gang comedies (later known as The Little Rascals) during the 1930s.
http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/ss261/tryntoo/petey.jpg (http://s582.photobucket.com/user/tryntoo/media/petey.jpg.html)

Col4570
03-14-2015, 03:58 AM
Clay M,I like your style,you have seen the worst of ageing.My 83 year old brother has alzeimers and dementia,he has become too hard to handle and has been sectioned.This was a man who was successful in life,of good looks a great singer,a great soccer player and family man.My whole attitude to life now is to enjoy my hobbies ,my wife,my grandchildren and my great grand child.Good luck to you man.

Hickory
03-14-2015, 05:44 AM
Your old when you lay down to relieve the pain & tension in your body and you feel the same an hour later.

dale2242
03-14-2015, 07:12 AM
Old is a state of mind.
Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

I couldn`t agree more Nolan.....dale

375supermag
03-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Hi...

I am 60 years old and I do pretty much anything I want to, but do sometimes pay the price in sore muscles and achy joints.

But then again...I have had cancer twice, 2 strokes, 7 major surgeries(depending on how you count them), 55 radiation treatments and hardest of all, I have been married twice with three children (that made my hair start to turn grey).

So, I think I should get a pass, if I lay down and take an hour or two nap once in a while after work.

lightman
03-14-2015, 09:17 AM
I'm 57. Thats getting old for a lineman. My boss was born after I went to work! I remember when one of the other boys as born! I can still get the job done, just not as fast or as easy as it once was. I get tired quicker and hurt more often in the morning. In my line of work I'm expected to pass my knowledge on to the young guys and they are expected to ask, and to listen. I looking at pulling the plug soon and may be asking you guys for your experience and advice on retirement. After all, thats what are older guys do, right?[smilie=l:

WILCO
03-14-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.coolnsmart.com/images/01/45905_original.png

WILCO
03-14-2015, 09:29 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/e26321d0440326add40ce391f788a9fa/tumblr_mkyjedPYsw1s3gwbvo1_500.jpg

WILCO
03-14-2015, 09:30 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/87/fd/e3/87fde322f3c747f21de202768a81d3d8.jpg

archmaker
03-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Maybe old is when you are no longer accepted by the younger generation that you work with as a peer. I am still a young 50+ and still accepted by my peers, but I am starting to see some of the 'respect because of age' thing to creep into their conversations. :)

I go to DefCon every year I can and come back feeling younger and more energized. But each year the feeling last for a shorter and shorter time, and I realize I am one of the old ones walking the halls. Not sure if i will make too many more of them.

Goatwhiskers
03-14-2015, 10:37 AM
Retirement, your golden years? The only gold I'm aware of is what's being shelled out to pay the Drs. you start going to see after you retire. I don't care, I'm gonna keep right on doing what I want to and can do till I'm gone. GW (Sergeant at Arms of the Crusty Old Basxxxxx International Association)

popper
03-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Playing guitar and castings bullets for my favorite rifles..So many dreams ..so little time.. So true.
As a friend of mine says, 'getting old is not for sissy's". When you get there, you'll understand.

EDK
03-14-2015, 10:59 AM
Hey Lightman...I retired from the power plant in January 2012...started in 1970; two months out of Viet Nam and Uncle Sam's army. IF you're in good enough shape to do the job, stay. I got a buy-out..58 and over...20 months short of 65. There are penalties on early retirement from your pension and social security...AND insurance cost before medicare can flat out ruin your day. I went from free to $185 a month for myself alone. Formerly, the union stats were retire at 59 1/2 and 16 monthly retirement checks. I retired at 63 and have gotten 39 so far. (We still have a monthly amount for life rather than a 401K type maximum amount/self directed IRA; management doesn't...don't know about new hires.)

How many interests you have and marital status are a big factor. My marriage was in bad shape...second with no children for both of us/19 years...and she presented me with divorce papers in August 2012. Proceedings drug on for 25 months and $10,000+ EACH for attorneys; neither of us happy with outcome. (Found you can't change beneficiary after you retire; she gets 100% of my pension if I die before she does. She got 40% of my pension and her social security went from $300 to $1100 when she started drawing off mine. Great deal for her!) Six months after the divorce, I bought a house (thank GOD for GI bill and no money down!) have a wonderful girl friend, plus two dogs and a cat. Enough money to pay the bills, work on the plastic, and afford a few toys.

Do your financial homework. Is there life after retirement. The computer and cable are entertaining BUT I got a ton of empty brass...never enough lead!...and need to finish my new reloading bench. Church and Celebrate Recovery (12 step for generic problems) have been a blessing.

You want to talk some...send a pm and we'll trade phone numbers.

mold maker
03-14-2015, 12:56 PM
8+ years retired and I'm further behind on chores than ever. How in the world did I find time, for life, and a 45-60 hr a week job?
I'd hate to be inexperienced again. Nobody told me what not to do, and I had to make all the mistakes for myself. Now youngsters (30-50 yr olds) ask me for ways not to reinvent the wheel, and I'm proud to help them along the way.
Several years ago I had to cut 3 mature/huge oak trees, plus one too close to the house. I split 17 chord of firewood, and the same youngsters only wanted to help hauling it off. I've burned most of it without their help, but I sure don't want to have to do it again.
My aunt (102 yr) always replied "I'm not old, I've just been here a looong time". She had a younger Sister that outlived her by 2 years (106). In all there were 6 members of my parents families that made it past 100. If genes have anything to do with it I may be around for quiet a while.
As far as cute young girls, being old does have some advantages. My wife of 51 years, no longer gets miffed when she sees me watching them.

w5pv
03-14-2015, 01:10 PM
In relation to how many times you were rode hard and put up wet

I believe genes has a lot to do with health and age.I know of no one making the century mark in my family on either side but usuall get up to the late eighties to the middle 90's

quilbilly
03-14-2015, 01:24 PM
When the kids offer you the "senior discount" on a cup of coffee at a McDonalds without asking.

bear67
03-14-2015, 02:05 PM
I know I am old, my children and grandchildren tell me so. But I get up with things to do, a great wife and family, and enough coins to do most of what I want. I am blessed, so age is just a number. Cancer, bad knees, and needing more sleep is a handicap, but not a death sentence yet.

My machinist friend, Dick age 88, and I were doing some dirt work at his farm and went to Ben Wheeler for a hamburger at the general store. This good looking, well blessed young blond thing was waiting on us and Dick looked over at me and said. "Bear, I remember I used to chase the girls, but blast it if I can remember why." I mentioned this to his wife later and she said that was not all he had forgotten how to do.

Clay M
03-14-2015, 04:39 PM
My dear old grandfather live to be 87.He still had a herd of cattle, he cooked his own meals, drove himself everywhere, and was totally independent up until the end. He got up one morning, tried to get dress ,sat down in the chair and had a heart attack and died..
A great way to be able to live life..

leebuilder
03-14-2015, 05:06 PM
I have been told i was "older than dirt"
I am only 46
in the navy i was referred to as an "engineering silver back"
Told all my young sailors "if you knew half the stuff i forgot you would know something"
I told them too that first time i was charged was for "smoking to close to the sails" and my first rifle refreasher the orders were " front rank, kneel and fire"
All in good fun
I guess i am old, proud and happy.

buckwheatpaul
03-14-2015, 05:15 PM
You are upper middle age as long as you are older than 50 but you are south of 100! When I was still working I told them: That I might be old but I am closer to my pension than they are and that I was a lot more likely to get my pension than they were......they are just jealous!

Clay M
03-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Both my grandfathers were the very best possible. Made of iron or steel. My mothers father was a WW 1 Hero. He was a courier .The Germans caught him coming back from a mission and stuck a bayonet in his head. He was left on the battlefield for dead. My grandmother was a volunteer nurse . She nursed him back to health and fell in love with him.. so I barely made it into this world.
My fathers father grew up hard and was a self made man. He had a sawmill for about thirty years..
The very best ..and what real America was made of..
My maternal grandfather had epilepsy .and much damage from the war. He killed himself when my mother was small.. My paternal grandfather had a major impact on my life.. He was the very best of the best...I have land that has been in my family for five generations..My son is the sixth..He is the best I could ever hope for.. I am very proud to give him this land..
I have learned ..to preserver . The main thing is to be able to suffer hardships in life and survive. Not only survive ,but enjoy life as you go..

Mtnfolk75
03-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I was medically retired from my LEO career at 47 and 2 months, I've received 170 Pension checks. I was a Jack of All Trades for the next 10 years, working in a motorcycle shop, driving a truck in support of fire crews and working a Spike Camp on the Stampede Trail in Alaska.

After Alaska my health took a dump and I went on SSI, had Cataract Surgery, Nasal Surgery and walk with a cane due to some old hip issues from my LEO career. Now at 61 and 4 months life is getting better mostly, my eyes have improved, I can breath good again and walking isn't as much as a pain as it was 2 years ago. I still get therapy about twice a year for my right shoulder and arm, which was the original injury that forced my Medical retirement. Three surgeries couldn't return me to Duty Status.

I've received 54 SSI deposits and still try and enjoy life daily. If you asked me how old I feel, it depends on the day ..... somedays I feel as old as my 85 year old Father ...... [smilie=s:

bstone5
03-14-2015, 07:54 PM
I will be 70 in October still go to work each day. I travel some still in the design of offshore drilling units but the 12 hour flights are beginning to catch up with me. Many years back would have a few drinks any go to sleep now I just go to sleep.

Keeping busy and making stuff keeps me busy, feet hurt too many years on steel decks.

lightman
03-14-2015, 09:28 PM
EDK, Thanks Brother, I'll do that in the next few days.

starbits
03-14-2015, 09:47 PM
First time I recall saying "D.mn I am getting Old!" was when I was in the military and found out I was older than my Sergeant Major.

Starbits

blackthorn
03-15-2015, 11:57 AM
Never thought of being "old" until my oldest boy turned fifty! I have been blessed with reasonably good health and I can do most anything I want, just slower and more carefully than a few years ago. Just turned 76 in January.

Mtnfolk75
03-16-2015, 11:24 PM
I saw a post on FB today, it said " I must have eaten too many bowls of Rice Krispies when I was younger, all my body does now is Snap, Crackle & Pop " ......:bigsmyl2:

BrianL
03-16-2015, 11:31 PM
I used to be the youngest in my department, now I am the oldest. Where does the time go?

smokeywolf
03-17-2015, 12:02 AM
You're only as old as you feel. Even though I was born in the '50s, that would make me about 96.

smokeywolf

Beau Cassidy
03-17-2015, 09:08 AM
I used to be in the Guard with a guy who always looked 20 years younger than his age when single. He got married at the age of about 38 to 40 and within 6 months aged 20 years beyond his chronological age. I hardly recognized him after being away at a service school for a few months. Dangdest thing I have ever seen.

mexicanjoe
03-17-2015, 10:08 AM
Old? You say OLD? My pappy was 91 years young when he died, and my mom was just 36!! ( did I mention she was his 2nd wife?) I was 11 and my little brother was 3!! Still remember him on horseback @ 89! A farmer and businessman at heart , Pappy never quit working....my Pop was also a Tarahumara Indian , who normally live past 95! I'm 54 with 4 kids the youngest is 10. A truckdriver and still work LEO as reserve, and hiked Sandia Peak with the kids last week......old is just a state of mind!!!!!!!!

DoubleAdobe
03-17-2015, 11:28 AM
In the old, old song "When you and I were young, Maggie" there is a line I always liked. It says," My face is a well written page, Maggie, and time all along was the pen." Pretty descriptive.

DoubleAdobe
03-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Old? You say OLD? My pappy was 91 years young when he died, and my mom was just 36!! ( did I mention she was his 2nd wife?) I was 11 and my little brother was 3!! Still remember him on horseback @ 89! A farmer and businessman at heart , Pappy never quit working....my Pop was also a Tarahumara Indian , who normally live past 95! I'm 54 with 4 kids the youngest is 10. A truckdriver and still work LEO as reserve, and hiked Sandia Peak with the kids last week......old is just a state of mind!!!!!!!!
Seguro que si, Joe!

scarry scarney
03-17-2015, 12:14 PM
I picked up a new person up at the flight line yesterday and last night at the mess hall ( now days the DEFAC) we had a casual conversation with me feeling him out about if he had been deployed before as it turns out he had 3 times when he was in the military. He stated he had been in for 14 years before getting out and I asked when he had gone in and it turns out I had retired from the military 10 years before he had gone in. It sunk in then that maybe I have started to get old. I firmly believe that wars should be fought by the younger generation so maybe it's time to go home.

gmsharps

GM - I know how you feel. I also work as a defense contractor, after retiring from 22 years on active duty. I'm now working with a GI that was born after I retired from the Military!

mold maker
03-17-2015, 01:25 PM
I saw a post on FB today, it said " I must have eaten too many bowls of Rice Krispies when I was younger, all my body does now is Snap, Crackle & Pop " ......:bigsmyl2:

In the bowl, the snap crackle and pop didn't hurt, but it sure does now.

MaryB
03-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Grandmother moms side made it to 107(grandpa was hung as a horse thief out in the Dakotas...), grandpa on dads side made it to 96, grandma to 98... I will be a walking cyborg by then with new joints everywhere :shock:

WILDEBILL308
03-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Worse than that, she doesn't even notice you!
Can I help you sir.
Bill

Rhou45
03-17-2015, 11:25 PM
Age is relative to those you are around.

Some places I go I am still the young kid, others well the young kids ask me what it was like back in my day, "without all the modern stuff, you know like cell phones, cars, and electricity"

gandydancer
03-17-2015, 11:44 PM
When I'm called an old man by anyone I just look them in the eye with a little grin and say. Yep I am old. witch means I have made it this far. and there is no absolute that you are going to."pause" And if you keep mouthing off I can guarantee you your not going too. "grin"

blackthorn
03-18-2015, 12:06 PM
"without all the modern stuff, you know like cell phones, cars, and electricity"

The scary part of that is it describes me---well we did have a car---Dad had a 1929 Buick.

Ed Barrett
03-18-2015, 07:10 PM
I am 73, but I don't feel old.

facetious
03-20-2015, 02:28 AM
I changed the rear struts on my going to work car to day and I can tell that tomorrow I'm going to be stiff all over. I will be 58 in July but right now it feels a lot older.

Lead Fred
03-20-2015, 04:32 AM
Had a drunk dude beat on my car window, yelling "Im gonna kill you old man"

I hit him with the door, got out of the car and he ran away.

It was either my white hair or the Sig, just not sure which one scared the kid

Mtnfolk75
03-20-2015, 11:19 PM
" It was either my white hair or the Sig, just not sure which one scared the kid "

ROFL ........ [smilie=s:

mold maker
03-21-2015, 07:29 PM
With me it would have been the popping/cracking of my joints. Sometimes they even scare me,