PDA

View Full Version : The advantages of teaching at a small Christian school

Jevyod
03-13-2015, 09:05 AM
I teach at a Christian school with about 90 students. I teach grades 4 and 5. We are currently going through a chapter in science that talks about solids, liquids, and gasses. It also talked a little bit about how metals will also turn to liquid when heated enough. You know where this is going don't you:bigsmyl2: Being the teacher I am, I thought most of these students probably never saw anything other than water melt!! So I got permission from the principal, and on Wednesday I brought in my lee pot, some lead, and a mold, and showed them how I make bullets!!!!! We talked about how the molecules change as the lead heats up, and how you can then pour it into a different form!! The students were all enamored with the process. I then gave them all a 45-70 bullet that I had made earlier. Powdercoated green, and with a copper gas check, they looked pretty good. Well you guessed it, siblings of my students saw them, and they wanted one as well! And there is a chance I will get to do the same thing for several other rooms. Some older students walked by when we were doing it, and they wanted to stay and watch! (we were outside). So their teacher ask me if I would be willing to do it for his room as well, and I said I would[smilie=w:Some of the guys were very interested! I am sure the parents heard about it at home! Ah the blessings of teaching at a Christian school!!!!

lightman
03-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Good on you! You managed a way to teach a lesson and make it interesting, and maybe introduce some new blood into casting. It don't get much better!

WILCO
03-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

ph4570
03-13-2015, 11:14 AM
Very cool.

dilly
03-13-2015, 11:20 AM
50 years from now, those children will be talking about how the country has gone to pot, and when they were kids they learned to cast bullets in elementary school.

That sounds like a good time and something that would really engage the kids.

mold maker
03-13-2015, 11:31 AM
It's such a shame that in public schools (our tax money at work) such ideas are so PC censored.
One of my Grand Daughters was reprimanded for showing off a boolit she helped me cast and swage.
No one would have known if it hadn't been a center of attention with lots of her class mates.

Ben
03-13-2015, 11:37 AM
That's great.

I hope I don't see you on CNN.
This is the kind of thing they love to get their hands on.

As great a story as this is, when CNN gets finished with it, it won't be.

:sad:

smokeywolf
03-13-2015, 11:46 AM
I think it's a great science demonstration. I'd pay money to see this done in our local California public schools.

Echo
03-13-2015, 11:46 AM
A big way to go!

jmort
03-13-2015, 12:00 PM
Great to hear this. Thank God for teachers like you and schools that want kids to learn.

bradh
03-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Great to hear this. Thank God for teachers like you and schools that want kids to learn.

SUPER story and good for you! But them was boolits not bullets.... Science at work...

Wots
03-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Like school used to be. Been a while but as I recall schooling, it was more hands on. Shop, dissecting frogs, field trips to various industries, corporal punishment etc.

Charley
03-13-2015, 12:32 PM
As far as I can see, the only "science" taught currently in public schools is the alleged science behind man caused climate change. Might as well be back in the 1500s.

Fergie
03-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Very cool story!

I remember having a particularly interesting Chem teacher that allowed taught us about thermite, metal salts and their color and some other cools experiments, but this would have taken it.

Sadly though, at a public school, the mere discussion would have had you fired. I recall a budding gangbanger at my middle school bringing a bunch of 9mm rounds to school, and passing them out to kids "in case he needed them later." He gave one to me, I kept my mouth shut at school, let my Dad know about it, and told him the round was on his reloading bench(why waste it??). I got called in to the principal's office a few days later saying I was suspended for having a weapon at school and that I would need to complete a gun safety packet.

I told him "No" and to call me father if he had a problem. I did exactly what my father wanted me to do if a scenario like this happened and that I was not in the wrong. After a brief conversation with my Dad, a brow beaten principal sent me back to class and I never had an issue again.

So, as I said, I'm very glad to hear that you can teach these concepts and not be chastised for bringing firearms into the mix. Good Job.

Fishman
03-13-2015, 08:26 PM
There is hope. Good work.

RED333
03-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Good on you Jevyod and there goes the lead supply.[smilie=l:

kfarm
03-13-2015, 10:12 PM
My wife taught 38 years in public schools and was getting fed up with the PC. Spent the last 2 years teaching in our church school, physical and mental health both improved and she actually was able to teach kids that wanted to learn.

MaryB
03-13-2015, 11:47 PM
Local school is a charter school. They are not afraid of guns and the school trap team stores their shotguns in the principals office if they have practice after school!

retread
03-14-2015, 12:28 AM
Your story made me smile. When I was in the six grade (1957) I brought a Pennsylvania Long Rifle to school for show and tell. It was a hit with the teachers and students. Today I would be thrown in jail!

Wolfer
03-14-2015, 08:38 AM
In high school we built muzzle loading rifles and pistols in shop class. The kits were purchased through the school. You didn't have to buy them from the school but they were cheaper that way since they bought in bulk.

Since I already had a 22 rifle and pistol, a single barrel shotgun and a marlin 30-30 I built a crossbow instead.

The school still shuts down for the entire deer season.

Huskerguy
03-14-2015, 11:18 AM
I am a principal in a Christian school, 160 students. It is a totally different world. I would have let you do this with all of the proper safety precautions of good air flow, hand protection, hand washing and the like. Glad you are working for the Kingdom.

Jevyod
03-14-2015, 12:58 PM
I am a principal in a Christian school, 160 students. It is a totally different world. I would have let you do this with all of the proper safety precautions of good air flow, hand protection, hand washing and the like. Glad you are working for the Kingdom.

Thanks! Yes I should have mentioned, I made sure all proper precautions were taken, plus lectured them on the importance of washing their hands THOROUGHLY with soap and water after handling lead!!

MtGun44
03-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Wonderful job.

I expect that in NYC, most of California, NJ and a few other insane places you would be
arrested for poisoning the children with lead, bringing "ammunition" (BULLETS!!!!!!!!!) into
a school, and who knows what else. I am not joking either, I would expect the authorities
in some places to literally call the police and a hazmat team.

Good for you, sir and for living in some of the remaining parts of free America.

TreeKiller
03-15-2015, 12:45 AM
Slightly off topic but the Anderson California High School advertises on the radio that they have a Trap Shooting Club.

texaswoodworker
03-15-2015, 02:24 AM
Slightly off topic but the Anderson California High School advertises on the radio that they have a Trap Shooting Club.

That's in Northern California. Wasn't the Conservative North wanting to become their own state since they get very little representation in that state and are force to live by the South's insane rules?