PDA

View Full Version : Gas check removal

Bad Water Bill
03-11-2015, 01:32 PM
A friend was given several boxes of 222 ammo loaded with cast boolits.

The person that loaded them is long deceased so there is no way of determining any load etc.

When Butch tries to pull the boolits the gas checks get stuck in the neck.

Yes he has tried the hammer and the collet with 0 success.

Lets hear your suggestion on removing the gas checks from inside the neck after the boolit is removed PLEASE.

NavyVet1959
03-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Expand the neck?

montana_charlie
03-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Since there is no way to know what kind of powder was used, the new owner doesn't need to recover the charges in the suspicious ammo.
Therefore, pull the bullets and save them (if desired) then fire the 'defective' ammo in a properly chambered gun.

When finnished, clean the rifle well.

If (on the other hand) the new owner believes the correct powder is in the cases, but wants to know if it is a safe load, cut one round in the side and shake out the powder for weighing.

CM

fouronesix
03-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Use a sharp, skinny punch and tip the gas check sideways. Reach in with thin nosed needle nose pliers and pull the check out. A few may get pushed into the case body. Dump the powder and with the case held upside down reach in with the thin needle nose, grab the check and pull it out. Dispose of the powder on the shrubs.

bhn22
03-11-2015, 02:15 PM
Use a sharp, skinny punch and tip the gas check sideways. Reach in with a pair of thin nosed needle nose pliers or strong tweezers and put the check out of the neck. Dump the powder on the shrubs.

Winner!

Calamity Jake
03-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Turn the GC sideways and pull out with tweezers. It works for me.

EDIT: I guess I'm to dang slow!!!HEHE

NavyVet1959
03-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Use a sharp, skinny punch and tip the gas check sideways. Reach in with thin nosed needle nose pliers and pull the check out. A few may get pushed into the case body. Dump the powder and with the case held upside down reach in with the thin needle nose, grab the check and pull it out. Dispose of the powder on the shrubs.

It's a .222 so those will have to be some really thin needle nose pliers. Forceps or smaller...

Roosters
03-11-2015, 02:48 PM
I have used a pick from a set like this.

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r600/threescrew3/p_zpszqfaua2x.jpg

Echo
03-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Plus 1 - and a set of hemostats (Skinny serrated pliers) helps a bunch.

country gent
03-11-2015, 03:13 PM
An awl to tip them and straight hemostats to pull them. a pice of thin metal bandind with a smalle hoof on the end may pull them out also.

LynC2
03-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Plus 1 - and a set of hemostats (Skinny serrated pliers) helps a bunch.

That's what I use also.

fouronesix
03-11-2015, 06:22 PM
:) The 22 cal is pretty skinny. So the nose of whatever will have to be skinny. Forceps will work if thin enough. I have a pair of needle nose that I ground down a long time ago for another project. They'll fit into even a 22 neck. If you don't want to grind down a tool, one of the dental pics as posted earlier will work but a thin nosed pliers type tool is easier to use.

richhodg66
03-11-2015, 06:36 PM
Had this happen with a bunch I loaded up that wouldn't chamber and never were going to (lesson learned, always load a dummy round and check first).

These were aluminum gas checks, but what I did was drilled a hole with the smallest bit I had through the check, then threaded an ordinary draywall screw into it then pulled out the check using pliers on the head of the screw. Worked fine, but was a bit slow. I salvaged all the powder and even the primers though. The lead will melt onto other bullets, just out some cheap gas checks.

Goatwhiskers
03-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Happens every time I try to pull some GC boolits. I have some hemostats, works great, tho I haven't had to try anything in .22 cal yet. GW

Bzcraig
03-11-2015, 07:58 PM
Had this happen with a bunch I loaded up that wouldn't chamber and never were going to (lesson learned, always load a dummy round and check first).

These were aluminum gas checks, but what I did was drilled a hole with the smallest bit I had through the check, then threaded an ordinary draywall screw into it then pulled out the check using pliers on the head of the screw. Worked fine, but was a bit slow. I salvaged all the powder and even the primers though. The lead will melt onto other bullets, just out some cheap gas checks.

That's what I did as well but thankfully it was only about a dozen.

dragonrider
03-11-2015, 08:10 PM
Dental picks work well for this purpose.

Cmm_3940
03-11-2015, 08:16 PM
+1 on dental pick. I push the check down into the case body, dump the powder, and then grab the check with a dental pick and pull it out. I've found one particular shape of pick that works well for me.

Bad Water Bill
03-14-2015, 11:38 PM
I want to thank everyone for their help.

Hopefully my friend will see what a great crew we have here and finally decide to join us.