PDA

View Full Version : Which sizer for this Eagan die?

madsenshooter
03-11-2015, 04:52 AM
After keeping my eyes open for several years now, I finally ran across a tapered, non-lubricating, sizing die for the Eagan bullets that I have the cherries for. But it doesn't fit my Lyman 450! Oh, it goes in there, but once in there, there's not enough space between the Eagan pusher and the die to get the 30G bullet in! I tried a shorter pusher, got the bullet in the die, but now the knockout rod is too long, I can't pull the handle to get down to where the bullet would be sized. Obviously made for a press with a larger working area. The die body is the same diameter as RCBS/LYMAN dies, same length. However, the shoulder at the top of the die is longer, .384" vs the .281" of an RCBS. So really, when it's in the 450 the lock nut is sticking up a bit. The die also came with a .30 caliber gascheck shank swagging tool that would go on top of the die if the nut would catch some threads, but with the die up, it doesn't. Like I said, something with more working room, like the Lyman 45 perhaps. I know his catalog said he made them for 450 and Lubematic, Lyman 45 was special order. The sizing die looks new and unused, I don't want to cut on the die or the brass knockout rod. Anyone have an idea which lubrisizer I need?

madsenshooter
03-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Ok, back up for more fun. I see the shoulder doesn't make a difference at all. What does make a difference is the fact that the Eagan is 1.574" tall vs 1.557" for a RCBS or Lyman. That, I can deal with. I'll still have the overly long push out rod to deal with, and I'll need a shorter top punch than the Eagan designed one.