PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid Things I Done #1,763,412

JohnH
09-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, I've come here for the longest and complained abut how poorly my 357 Handi Rifle was shooten cast. I've bought molds, had folks send boolit samples, made lube, even changed alloys. This mornin' as I was closin my gun I heard once againthat familiar rattle/tinkling I've heard so often lately. Figured it was the forearm as I keep it kinda loose so it don't bind the barrel. On opening the gun after the last round of the 1st group, there I saw it plain as day, the scope wiggled. I pushed eva' so lightly on the mount rail and sho' 'nuff, the dang scope was moving. Took it to the house, removed the scope (Weaver mounts) retightened the screws, remounted the scope, loaded up and shot again. Nuthin special. A play load consisting of Lee's 358-158-RF and 7 grains of surp 107.

30 rounds of the above later, I swithed over to the RCBS 35-200 and 9 grains of surp 107, as this load has shown lots of promise on occasion and there it was, a neat 10 shots in a gaping 1" hole (50 yards) no flyers, no weird ass cold shots no nuthin but 10 in 1. Loaded up 3 more times, the same results all three groups, 10 shots, 1 big gaping hole. To give you an idea, the average height of 4 10 shot groups yesterday was 1.368" while the average width was 1.832" Todays 4 10 shot groups were .695" in height while being only 1.101" wide.

The real test comes tomorrow morning, will it shoot the same then? More than once with this rifle I've been pleased one day only to have the groups fall apart the next day. I got the boolits all lubed and checked up, later tonight I'll prep up the cases and I'll post how it turns out.

Thats twice now a loose scope has bit me. Guess I need to check the tightness of 'em more often. And if you're thinking it, so am I...... "What a Boob."

RugerFan
09-30-2005, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the club. When I first started reloading many moons ago I had the same thing happen with a .308 rifle. Had been testing a lot of load combinations when my groups suddenly went south. Ever since then I always apply Loc Tite to scope mount and ring screw threads.

Mk42gunner
10-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Another good one is looking through the scope a few days after sighting in your rifle, only to find the verticle crosshair is now pointing to 11:00 o'clock. Now I put powdered rosin inside the rings.
I have also had several M-14's lose elevation when the sight pinion suddenly loosens.

9.3X62AL
10-01-2005, 02:01 AM
[QUOTE=Mk42gunner]Another good one is looking through the scope a few days after sighting in your rifle, only to find the verticle crosshair is now pointing to 11:00 o'clock. Now I put powdered rosin inside the rings.

Just saw this on Tuesday with the CZ-550 in 9.3 x 62, using 286 grain Partitions. Not only did the reticle get torqued, but the scope ring was jammed up against the scope's power setting dial.

Live and learn.

44man
10-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I have the BFR .475 revolver and even after degreasing, spraying Loc-tite primer on the screws, in the holes and using red Loc-tite, the base would come loose after a few dozen shots. I cured it by Accra glassing the base and screws on. I have a one piece gun now.