PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe i did this...help!

Tumtatty
03-05-2008, 11:48 PM
I bought one of the 8mmK single cavity molds from Midsouth. I was trying to slug my barrel with it (I got a new RC k98) from the receiver end. It was about .325 so I thought I could get it through ok.

The slug got stuck! I was using a wood dowel to push it through and now it is stuck and broken off deep inside the barrel. I tried to use a larger dowel to push it from both ends and nothing. I put a gas check on a Mosin cleaning rod and I've been hammering on it but no movement at all.

Am I screwed? :confused:

Springfield
03-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Whatever you do DON"T put some wd-40 in there to see if it will loosen up, and then failing that decide to heat the barrel with a torch to get it to expand, thus accidentally igniting the WD on the outside of the barrel which ignites the WD inside the barrel and shoots the bullet and dowel into the garage ceiling, narrowly missing your brothers face who was helping you. Don't ask me how I know!

4t5
03-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Do you have a home movie of that ?

Tumtatty
03-06-2008, 12:02 AM
So you're saying that if i fill the barrel with wd-40 and then ignite it.........:Fire:

Seriously.....what the heck can I do? I feel like a total idiot. I've pounded on this thing from both ends. I've pounded the gas check into dust. I've probably ruined the barrel and I don't even have a rifle to shoot myself with!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well not a k98 anyway

4t5
03-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I wonder if you could blast a propane torch down the barrel and melt it out. I would be surprised if you ruined your barrel. Them Germans make some pretty good steel.

03-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Ughhh!
My oh my I knew that WD was very flammable but holy #$#@!. At least no one got slugged!

As far as your 8mm, ... I've stuck some bullets but nothing quite that bad. I'd take a breather and go slow for sure. I just checked a 50 Cal issue cleaning rod and it's about 8mm dia. so might work OK. I also have a one piece ss rod that is probably 27 cal or so.... those are the kinds of things I'd use. As strong and nearest bore diameter as possible to minimize bowing and damaging the bore. Next I might pour a little Kroil down both ends and let it sit for awhile. Then find something like a thick, blunt flat faced brass jag as close to 8mm (bore diameter) as possible. I'd want to spread the area of force evenly across the obstruction. A smaller or rounder jag might be worse by wedging into the obstruction and increasing the pressure and friction on the bore surface. I'd try pushing from the lead slug end not the end with the broken dowel. Then with all the best gear I could come up with.... set the gun vertical and start tapping the rod with a hard surfaced mallet. Like hardwood or plastic. Mark the rod where it enters the bore so any progress is visible. Then tap with minimum force necessary to continue the progress. Anywho... good luck!

454PB
03-06-2008, 12:21 AM
I think I'd try this:
Get a piece of 1/4" brazing rod (brass, uncoated) at a welding supply house. Grind or file a dull cone shape on the end, then dump some gun oil in the barrel from each end. Use a hammer to drive the slug out. The cone shape will help keep the rod centered on the slug, and even if it touches the barrel, it won't do any damage.

I use this same method for all my barrel slugging, and it works very well.

MT Gianni
03-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Veral Smith's key to slugging a bbl is BIG hammer, 4lb or so and short taps. He claims a light hammer with hard taps will stick a bullet. It might help someone else. Gianni

44man
03-06-2008, 12:45 AM
You need a brass rod almost the size of the bore and a big hammer. Wood will only cause trouble.

mroliver77
03-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I use steel rod from the hardware as close to bore as possible. I either find a shell casing that slips over rod and will fit into bore or heat and peen end to bore size. Clean and smooth with file and paper. Tape around rod every few inches to protect barrel unlesss rod is very close to bore size. Like has been said, big hammer and nace hits. Small rod upsets lead and makes it tighter. If this dont work you need to make a long drill on the end of a rod to drill center out and relieve pressure. Really this is simple if done right.
J

Tumtatty
03-06-2008, 11:47 AM
I got the sucker out! I heated up the rod and hammered it into the lead. Then I'd put the rod in the vise to get it out. After several repetitions of this I finally broke through. I'm exhauste

I see no obvious defects in the barrel. What should I look for? How (besides innacuracy) can I know if the barrel is damaged. I've never fired this k98 before so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Thanks for all the help!

bobk
03-06-2008, 12:09 PM
As long as you're at it, you could try making a lead lap to lap the bore. Any changes in internal dimensions of the barrel should be readily apparent. A more crude method is to wrap a patch around a smaller brush, maybe .30, and push that through the bore with some sort of an extremely fine abrasive mixed with bore cleaner, This won't hurt anything, will smooth the bore a little, and you can feel rough spots this way, though not as easily as the lead lap.

Bob K

Tumtatty
03-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I have no idea what a lead lap of the bore is? PLease enlighten me!

mroliver77
03-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Just clean it well and shoot.
J

44man
03-06-2008, 12:45 PM
You didn't hurt anything, just make sure it is clean.
Anytime you slug, use the largest rod that will fit the bore. Brass won't hurt anything but steel needs tape on it. No sharp edges on the end either. Champher the ends.

Adam10mm
03-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Always lube the bore before you slug. I take a patch of Hoppe's #9 soaking wet and run it down the bore. Then I hammer the slug flush with the muzzle. I use a Dillon machine indexer as a sort of starter like ML shooters use for starting the ball down the barrel. Then I put a quick quirt of lube down the barrel from the breech end use a shotgun cleaning rod and hammer the rest of the way.

I always work from muzzle to chamber. Seems easier that way.