PDA

View Full Version : ?? on lead

rusty shackelford
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
battery lead is a no no .
but what about the battery connections that have the wire attached to them?

is that a good source for lead or the battery corrosion that is/ or could be on them be bad for your health ?
the reason i ask is we go through so many terminals every day i could get 8 to 10 lbs a week , but i need to clean it remove the cross bolt and stuff ,
so what be it ya or nay ??

rusty

beagle
03-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I've used a bunch of terminals and they cast good bullets if hardened with WWs a little. I just threw them in and the bolts and stuff floated to the top. I didn't detect and problems using them. Made good ingots./beagle

cbr
03-05-2008, 11:00 PM
I have used quite a few mixed with wheel weights and they seemed to work fine. As far as health concerns, well, I'm still here, but thats not a very good test. I think it is what is inside the battery that is dangerous. I have been cutting the terminals off of batteries and throwing them in my pot too.

HeavyMetal
03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I believe these would be straight lead. I've "cooked" a few in my day. I wouldn't worry about removing the nut and bolts. Just drop them in a bucket of water and baking soda to kill any battery corrosion, blow dry and let sit in the sun a few days to dry out.

Do not put these in a lead pot wet! Big problems will happen!

If you follow directions the nuts, bolts washers and any other steel will float on the top and you can skim and chuck this stuff after fluxing!

As straight lead you will need to do one of two things swap these to muzzle loader guys or blend with another metal.

Lyman's old formula for blending metals to make Lyman number 2 is as follows:
5 1/2 lbs wheelweights
1 lb 50/50 bar solder
3 1/2 lbs lead

this will make 10 lbs #2 alloy. If you can get enough battery terminals to make this work I will suggest you blend in much larger batches! The bigger the batch the more consistant your alloy will be!

rusty shackelford
03-06-2008, 07:11 AM
looks like i need to aks alll the guys to start saving them.

at that quanity i have to buy it by the lb and that is also one reason
i would like to remove the bolts less money for me to spend on scrap .
what is a good price for lead not cleaned ? or i mean melted into bars or the clips and stuff attached ?

rusty

randyrat
03-06-2008, 08:00 AM
How about figuring the % the bolts weigh/lead and take that off the total weight. Saves you time then you can just melt them,skim. Make them an offer and suggest you have a solution to recycle them. I would offer them .10-.20/ lb.. It's money they didn't have comming in before. You should come out nice on the deal. I also use some baking soda and water on them.

idahoron
03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
I got some lead from a guy on ebay, He said it was soft. After I got it it was HARD! I asked him about it and he said it was melted down car batteries. I have been told it is ok since it was smelted and made into ingots. WOuld it be possable for these to still be toxic? Ron