PDA

View Full Version : fluxing questions

compass will
03-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Getting closer to making them first ingots!

Fluxing. I have heard many types of "stuff" to use. My question is wax toilet rings. I think they are bees wax. Will that do the trick? Got plenty of motor oil around, Did i read correct people use it? How much to you use for around an 8 quart load?

Next is mixing. I plan to cast the wheel weights into muffin type pans, then the straight lead into something smaller so I can mix the two later in different amounts (as I learn more).

question: Would stick on wheel weights be the same as lead pipe? Just got a good amount of pipe dropped off by my brother.

wish I could find something ice cube size to make the straight lead ingot.

nicholst55
03-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Check the label carefully, as some of the new ones are NOT beeswax, but some synthetic crap.

454PB
03-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I don't think toilet seals have been made of beeswax for many years. However, the present day rings should work fine for fluxing if you're so inclined. Personally, I don't flux when smelting wheelweights. They are generally coated with grease and other carbon bearing crud, which serves as a fluxing agent.

Stick on wheelweights can be considered pure lead. If in doubt, see if you can bend them double with your fingers.

If you want smaller ingots, just fill them less full.

mroliver77
03-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Oil, toilet rings, candles basically any hydrocarbon will do. I melt, pull the clips, flux, skim,flux, skim and pour if it looks clean enough. Watch for flame ups as these can really make you jump. If you keep lead just above melting the flux usually dont ignite. I flux liberally enough that I get most of the surface covered with liquid and try to stir air in and scrape down sides and bottom very well. When you can bring no more junk to the surface it is clean. Use any kind of tool to indent soft lead to identify it.
J

DLCTEX
03-06-2008, 12:41 AM
I use a dry hardwood stick to stir and scrape the sides and bottom of the pot. It fluxes down deep in the melt, better than trying to stir something floating on top into the melt. DALE

compass will
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I have a 14 quart dutch oven. Its maybe 12" across. How much Oil do I add? Like a cap full, then stir it in? If I use a some kind of wax, How much, a tea spoon worth?
I could come up with a source of saw dust, but there is always a chance of water content on saw dust.

1Shirt
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
I go with Dale Clawson and just use a piece of wood with sharp edges to scrape the edges. Have been using a piece of 1/2" quarter round. Figure it is good for about 6-7 fluxings/sturings, etc. or what ever you want to call it. Quit using waxes, oils etc. a long time ago. Did use sawdust for a bit, but the wood has been my standard for the last few years. Fast, easy, and the smell of charred wood it to my one of the great smells.
1Shirt!:coffee::coffee:

mto7464
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
don't use motor oil. It smokes alot and makes a mess. If you get some on the sides of the pot it will smoke for a long time and it leaves the laddle all covered in black soot. Stick with the wax or wood dowel/sawdust.

compass will
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Now I think I understand. I Don't need to add anything, just use a wood stick. The stick is sacrificial and becomes the flux. After a period of X uses I will just need to replace the stick correct?

hydraulic
03-06-2008, 11:28 PM
There's always a bunch of splinters lying around on the ground by the wood pile, and I have used about every kind of wood; oak, ash, elm, dowels, cedar siding, ---everything works. There is also a bunch of greasy, oily, WW's in the pot so fluxing is not much of a problem.

rmb721
03-06-2008, 11:41 PM
I flux until I don't see any tin sticking to the clips. Then I use a magnet to get the clips out and flux again and then skim off the crud. The magnet I use is the telescoping type.

DLCTEX
03-07-2008, 12:38 AM
How do you get hot clips off the magnet? I like my slotted spoon for skimming clips and junk. DALE