PDA

View Full Version : Help with Lyman 4500

vandeusenps
03-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Guys,

I tried to cast some regular 158 gr. semi-wadcutters tonight for my 38 special. I've cast these before with good results, except this time, I'm using SPG lube instead of my regular lyman orange magic. My issue is...when pushing the bullet into the die, I either get full lube fill in both the lube groove and crimp groove. I've tried backing off, and only pushing it in a little at a time...then I get a big plug of lube below the bullet, and none in the grooves. Maybe because the SPG is much softer?

Anyways, can those with experience give me a summary of what adjustments you do when changing calibers/size dies? Maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance!

Ed_Shot
03-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Sounds like you need to loosen the lock nut and screw the threaded sleeve up to adjust how deep you can push a bullet into the sizind die. See Figure #24 in the manual. You have it set to allow the boolit to go too deep into the sizing die.

chsparkman
03-08-2015, 07:37 PM
You don't need near as much pressure with SPG. Back off the pressure, then adjust the stop all the way to the top. Use complete, fairly quick strokes with just a little lube pressure, adjusting the stop each time until you get the right depth to fill the groove. When you push a boolit into the die, keep downward pressure consistent, then raise quickly. This will minimize lube collection under the boolit.

vandeusenps
03-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks guys, some good suggestions here...going to try the above recommendations tonight.

gwpercle
03-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Refer to instruction sheet for parts names. Take a look at the holes in the sizing die where the lube is forced into boolit. You want the first (top) hole in line with the lube groove ( as best you can) if boolit has two lube grooves, have the lube hole straddling the two. Don't have a hole at the base or above the leading edge of boolit. This is accomplished with the pushrod adjustment screw below the sizing die. Keep turning it in and out until the lube is deposited in the groove(s).
Pressure, it only takes a tiny amount of pressure to fill the groove, too much and it will go under the base.
When size/lubing you want the bullet to go into the die just far enough to size all of it, and deep enough to get the first hole over the grooves, no deeper. Screw the adjustment up until you have a solid stop.
While putting pressure on the lube feed control hold the sizer handle down with gentle pressure to keep lube from squeezing under the base. Soft lubes like LPG don't need a lot of pressure, I usually put a little pressure on the lube and do three or four bullets before having to add more pressure.
Adjusting how deep the bullet goes into the die, lineing up a hole with the groove, downward pressure on the handle while lubing and gentle lube pressure are the secret's.
And practice....there is a learning curve to this so don't get discouraged, just practice.
Gary

vandeusenps
03-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Just wanted to say, thanks to all for your help! I use the above recommendations and now getting perfect bullets on every pull! I think it was a combination of lube groove alignment and too much heat!