PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 535 Postell into 50 Cal Paper Patch?

Themoose
03-08-2015, 03:54 PM
I sold my 45-70 Sharp's years ago, but still have the Lyman Postell mold(although in a cousin's gun safe at this time)... I forget the mold number, but is common long range bullet for black powder cartridges in 45-70... anyway, I was doing something pretty dangerous.... thinking... I have a machinist friend and I have a Knight 50 cal Disc Rifle with an oversize bore..about .504 with a 1:28 twist.... what if I had him ream out the Postell mold to say .498 and then paper-patch it? The overall length is 1.425 the top of the band to the base is 0.662" thinking that is all that should be reamed out to .498 to make a smooth sided mold. Anyone have any thoughts? or have tried this?

TheMoose

idahoron
03-08-2015, 05:01 PM
For my rifles I think I would have it punched out to .496 but if you try .498 first you can always do it again.

Themoose
03-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Ron,

You are "The Man" in my book on using Paper-Patch in muzzleloaders.. if you say .008", I will go with that... for some reason I was thinking the target was .006".... thanks for the help now and also for getting me started in PP.

Kindest regards,

TheMoose

johnson1942
03-08-2015, 06:16 PM
its close, the math shows that a twist of 1/26 is needed. however i bet a 1/28 would shoot to 200 yards quite well. use a good wad between powder and the base of the bullet. make the bullet 8 thousands smaller than the bore. if the bore is .504 just subtract 8 form that and thats your pp bullet diam. for .50 cal paperpatch i would go with one wrap of 18 pound freezer wrap paper poly coated on one side. use no lube. poly coat on the out side. i think you already know how to single wrap. i wouldnt go over 80 grains of anykind of powder or recoil could get harry. would be a real game getter and i suspect very accurate. if you have one of those muzzles that their are no lands for about 1/2 inch to easy load a sabot you may want to cut the barrel off just below that, square it up and recrown. paperpatch may work with that muzzle or not. its not a way out thought, go for it and you will make your gun do things better than it was ever ment to.