PDA

View Full Version : Language in Posts

Bzcraig
03-07-2015, 11:36 PM
Anyone else notice that some members with low post counts are getting pretty free with the language in their posts?

jonas302
03-07-2015, 11:41 PM
I wouldn't blame it all the the members with low post count....

Bzcraig
03-08-2015, 12:06 AM

Didn't mean to imply it was exclusively low post count, but every one I've seen was.

bhn22
03-08-2015, 12:12 AM
Check out some of the avatars

BrassMagnet
03-08-2015, 12:16 AM
If you can't say it with plain letters then you can't say it with splats!

**** = splats!

walkswithsticks
03-08-2015, 12:46 AM
There are many like myself who have been avid readers but do not feel competent enough to add much to the conversation. I have always taken care to express myself in proper English. There has always been an ample enough inventory of words to express my thoughts.
I was taught to be careful what you say or write as you never know who may hear or read it. You always learn more with your mouth shut and your ears open.
Then again, I am also fluent in the hillbilly slang that I learned from my Father and Grandfather. Not sure what I just wrote.

RP
03-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Any post or avatars anyone finds that are offensive or avoid the word filters REPORT them to staff we can not find them all. There are post that are edited daily for this reason and points or infractions issued.

fatelk
03-08-2015, 01:23 AM
We all come from different worlds here, with various values and perspectives and accompanying levels of comfort with crudeness and profanity. Some value a level of propriety whereas others prefer to let it all hang out.

There are plenty of other sites that cater to the lowest common denominator, and the language shows. Perhaps some of the newbies are just used the that culture. I actually appreciate that this site sets a higher standard. I hear plenty of coarse language at work so it doesn't much offend me, but i certainly like that this is a place where my young kids can look over my shoulder while I'm online without getting too much of the wrong kind of education.

I really don't understand why some people get so indignant when a little social propriety is suggested. They can be as crude as they like elsewhere; why not be just a little respectful here?

BruceB
03-08-2015, 01:37 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fatelk has expressed MY position, as well as his own.

There is simply no need for crudity on this site.

On occasion, I have reported threads or posts which I thought were going astray, and I'll continue to do that WHEN WARRANTED.

It takes some "doing" to generate my reporting of a thread, as I'm not an angel or Pollyanna by any conceivable measure.

All this Board requires is a simple concept: keep it clean, and all will be well.

NavyVet1959
03-08-2015, 04:01 AM
I don't believe in censorship and being ex-Navy, I'm not particularly offended by actual words, it's the *way* you say the words that can make them offensive (if you try hard enough).

I remember a tag line someone once had on USENET that I though was funny...

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate ( Removed by staff...)

I self-censored for those of you who have girly-man ears.

EDITED: OK, apparently, I didn't self-censor enough for some of those girly-man ears out there. It kind of loses the ironic humor when you remove those last two words though.

JSnover
03-08-2015, 08:18 AM
As a military retiree, I don't personally have a problem with offensive language but it is disrespectful and immature. I try to avoid it in public.
Most of Castboolits is visible to the public. If we don't want to be seen as a bunch of knuckle draggers we should try to keep it clean.

WILCO
03-08-2015, 08:19 AM

I now look to see "Join" dates before I welcome aboard folks with low post counts.

WILCO
03-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Anyone else notice that some members with low post counts are getting pretty free with the language in their posts?

I haven't seen anything as of yet, but that's where our great staff of Mods come into play.
Drop one a line and they'll grab the proverbial broom.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/housework/sweeping-smiley-emoticon.gif

MrWolf
03-08-2015, 09:40 AM
I don't tolerate cursing at home and I consider this as a home away from home. Mods got it right!

dragon813gt
03-08-2015, 10:38 AM
This isn't anyone's home. It is a private forum and the owner sets the rules. Language doesn't offend me. Having to tiptoe around censorship does bother me. We all know what a little kid means when he says "shoot". Cursing is a crutch for a lot of people. A lot of people around here, where I live not the forum, use a certain f word in place of "um".

If you don't find the language acceptable report it to a moderator.

Love Life
03-08-2015, 10:46 AM
I wish I had a recording of a safety brief given by my old Company GySgt. Some here would die of shock.

1Shirt
03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
I have to go along with Bruce B, on this one.!
1Shirt!

joesig
03-08-2015, 11:40 AM
I don't believe in censorship and being ex-Navy, I'm not particularly offended by actual words, it's the *way* you say the words that can make them offensive (if you try hard enough).

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate (removed by staff...)

Being from NY and time in the air force, people get points if they teach me a new cuss word.

That said, I do like the family friendly nature of this forum and knowing I CAN point an eight year old here to learn about casting, etc. and not worry what they might read.

Hamish
03-08-2015, 11:47 AM
"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate

Well, actually, disguised profanity is a violation of TOS TOO,,,,

JSnover
03-08-2015, 11:55 AM
That said, I do like the family friendly nature of this forum and knowing I CAN point an eight year old hear to learn about casting, etc. and not worry what they might read.
I think that was the OPs point. You COULD point an eight year old to CB but some of the members might answer his questions in an unacceptable manner. All you see is a user name, a join date and a post count. I've seen people spout off with something like, "no, ya stupid [ jackwad, ] it don't work that way," with no idea who is on the other end of the thread.
It embarrasses all of us, whether we know it or not.

ole 5 hole group
03-08-2015, 12:06 PM
If your kid is old enough to read - then I would hazard a guess that he will hear a whole lot worse everyday in school than what he'll ever read on most firearm forums.

Myself, I kinda like a few well choosen words sprinkled about to emphasis a point that usually brings a smile on most peoples face who have been there, tried to do that type thinggy. But I also try to keep within the rules.

Bzcraig
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
That said, I do like the family friendly nature of this forum and knowing I CAN point an eight year old hear to learn about casting, etc. and not worry what they might read.

I think that was the OPs point. You COULD point an eight year old to CB but some of the members might answer his questions in an unacceptable manner.

You are correct, that is my point and is also one of the hallmarks of this forum that separates us from many of the others. I too am former military, was in construction for 32 years so I'm pretty sure there isn't a word I have not heard nor does it offend me when others use them even though I don't.

dtknowles
03-08-2015, 12:25 PM
I generally prefer environments where there is no censorship. While I am not offended by course language it can effect my opinion of those that use it so it is better to let them use the language they are comfortable with and form opinions accordingly. I can also understand the reason for the site rules and also form an opinion of those that try to get around the rules. The site censors a few words that I don't understand how anyone things are offensive and convey with a single word what it takes two or three to express since the word is censored.

Tim

TXGunNut
03-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm not a stranger to profanity and probably rely on it more than I should to make a point in some verbal situations but I seldom use it in print or electronic media. It's not appropriate here because we have no control over who reads what we write. Besides that, the site owner wants it that way and I like hanging out here so that's good enough for me.
Quite frankly NavyVet59's sig line bothers me more than most profanity but only because I've felt that way for years, especially this time of year. I hope everyone reads and understands that bit of wisdom instead of focusing on the refund that some feel "lucky" to get.

ohland
03-08-2015, 01:19 PM

Or is it vigorous use of the english lexicon tends to be from folks with low post counts, and they tend to be pruned earlier, thus making the connection low post count <--> vigorous language? I'm not noticing any Nobel prize discovery here.

Sounds like a self fufilling prophesy.

ohland
03-08-2015, 01:28 PM
former military, was in construction for 32 years

One of the most masterful uses of the english language I ever experienced was when my first Platoon Sergeant disassembled a rather sensless lower enlisted after that individual drove a jeep (yes, they did use the M151, Virginia) from Dubuque all the way up to Ft McCoy without a licence. To attend driver's licence training.

Without any innovative language, this former Marine flensed this sad sack. Impressive display. Didn't do much good, this kid ultimately said stupid stuff in a Dubuque bar that got his buttocks tossed from the Guard.

cephas53
03-08-2015, 01:34 PM
Must be some kind of filter here. I used the word c r a p and it came out ****. Not what I intended.

country gent
03-08-2015, 01:37 PM
One thing to remeber is when a new person comes on and there are posts with profanity ( real or *****), derogatory remarks , coarseness and or disrespect we are all painted with that same brush and or impression.

oldred
03-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Filtering out course language is NOT true censorship, censorship would be filtering out opinions, a person's stance on a subject or otherwise changing the intent of what is being said to make it comply with someone else's point of view. The form of censorship that simply filters vulgarity that is clearly against the rules we all agreed to when we joined this group is in fact far more a case of rules enforcement rather than what we would normally view as censorship. Personally I would hate to see the rules relaxed and if this forum were to lose it's family oriented atmosphere I think a lot of us would probably not visit as much if ever. I myself have not been entirely guiltless of making vague references but I like to think I at least have kept it to a level I would not be afraid to use in public, of course that comes easy for me since I don't use course language anyway and what I have done here is as strong as I ever get with it anywhere.

Echo
03-08-2015, 01:59 PM
I have to go along with Bruce B, on this one.!
1Shirt!
And a Plus One from Echo!

dragon813gt
03-08-2015, 02:08 PM
One thing to remeber is when a new person comes on and there are posts with profanity ( real or *****), derogatory remarks , coarseness and or disrespect we are all painted with that same brush and or impression.

Why? Who in their right mind thinks that I'm the same person as a person that is cursing profusely? Talk about an extremely foolish thing to do. I question the level of ones intelligence if they do this.

As coarse as AR15.com is I don't think they're all mouth breathers. There are some very intelligent people there. Yes, you have to wade through some garbage to find answers to your questions. But you have to do that here if you have questions about shooting cast at high velocity. There may not he any cursing here but there is plenty of garbage to wade through.

Mooseman
03-08-2015, 02:13 PM

"Profanity is the last refuge of the inarticulate ( Removed by staff...)

Sir,
It is not censorship , we strive to maintain a family style educational forum here.
We ask for just plain common decency and if you wouldnt use the word in front of your Mother , your children, or your preacher , its not needed here to make your point. If you type something here our filters detect and you get (*****) then simply find a different clean word to use and dont add letters in to insinuate the curse word as a bypass of the filter system. That violates the Terms of Service.
Rich

bikerbeans
03-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Title of this thread had me worried, I thought Spanish was being made the official language of CB.:shock:

BB

pertnear
03-08-2015, 02:32 PM
When I read posts about our current Gov't regime & the skulduggery going on, I REALLY GET RILED UP!!! I can feel every obscenity I know come into my head & try to move down my arms to the keyboard. I'm pleased to announce I've mastered restraint & either don't reply or at least preview & adjust my response accordingly. A bit of coarseness doesn't bother me & I can understand the frustration from others on various topics, but I'm no angel nor am I a neanderthal either. As a newer member I haven't read anything even slightly offensive yet.

Thank you mods, this is a GREAT FORUM - GOOD JOB!

Roosters
03-08-2015, 02:59 PM
32 years with a drilling company I cuss a little (sometimes a lot) but I don’t put it in posts here out of respect.

Things change a lot. 20 years ago who would have thought Gay Marriage and Weed would be legal? Then top that off with a black president. :shock:

RogerDat
03-08-2015, 03:15 PM
When I was a little kid my parents applied a "filter" to keep my language appropriate to the place and audience. Now being an adult I figure it is my job to apply the filter appropriate to the audience which on this forum is public, mixed gender, broad age range. Frankly I don't want to arrive at the pearly gates and have to explain with my folks standing there why I was using profanity in front of women and young people.

If you can't describe something as being 10# of manure in a 5# sack without swearing you need to try harder. The only one that gets me is the term for shooting dice that may yield good or poor results based on dumb luck. Once I saw that it became **** shoot, I just found another way to say it.

Not a prude, can hold my own in a verbal exchange on a job site, loading dock or factory floor. Well enough that the young fellows who only have crude words learn not to apply them in my direction unless they want to be embarrassed at their lack of skill in colorful language. This forum is not those places, and not those people.

ohland
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM
Then top that off with a .. :shock:

HALF black. I had a repressed thought this morning. Remember the worshipful magazine and TV coverage of the Promised One? Isn't that blasphemous to a certain religion?

Just shake my head.

Juxtapose the French Revolution which had the Goddess of Logic as one of their (invented) dieties, and see how many French citizens were butchered to serve a supposed enlightened society.

When there is no higher power to appeal to than mere humans, things can get pretty brutal for "deniers". Had to sit through an MLK presentation where the presenter did not mention the qualifications of Martin Luther King, nor did the presenter call attention to the fact that the christian faith holds that all have fallen and are the same before God. Therefor there is no possible explanation for denying equal rights to fellow believers.

MLK did not make his appeal to logic, or to congress. When you hear some dimwit denying our rights come from a higher power than man, mark that person as a useful idiot.

French revolution, german NAZIs, soviet Communists, chinese Communists, cambodian Communists...

What of the present crowd of cretins in the Middle East? Same. Men have taken it upon themselves to announce what God would have done. No appeals to their heirarchy are going to win. Get yourself a trip off a building in a chair, or enjoy 50 shades of grey, but where it ISN'T consensual, do the Flame On like the Fabulous Four, but you can't Flame Off.

waksupi
03-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Something that gets me more, is how women swear now. I used to work construction, and had a retired Marine Corp sergeant who spoke fluent profanity as my boss. I hear things from women now that would make him blush.

nagantguy
03-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Hillbilly, Marine and now dirt poor dirt farmer; I've said em.all.and I think heard them all. I do get filled up from time to time in the pot, I received a warning once for a ******* type word. Lesson learned, I'm a guest in a board which is some else intellectual/actual property, we have house rules I'll respect the rules here as this is my outlet, knowledge base and fun time place. Like the family friendly atmosphere, save my cuss words for work and field.

white eagle
03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
consider the source is all

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Bzcraig I'm sorry but you sound a lot like nancy pelosi (NOT capitalized on purpose) and the thought police. No matter how "noble" the intent censorship is ALWAYS bad. Your comment that somehow older members of the board are somehow better is also insulting. Your attitude is just as insulting to some (like me) as your professed dislike of colorful speech. I am surprised you can hear the new members from up on your high horse.

I think a lot of people here are getting a little upset with language. Be happy new people find their way to this board and can read/write!

10x
03-08-2015, 05:04 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is simply no need for crudity on this site.

snip
All this Board requires is a simple concept: keep it clean, and all will be well.

Under stated, there is no need for crude language anywhere...
Or any time !

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Why don't you have the NSA track all members and make sure you like anything they type .... not sure how you people survive with such thin skin.

JSnover
03-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Why don't you have the NSA track all members and make sure you like anything they type .... not sure how you people survive with such thin skin.
All we're asking is mutual respect and civility. Is that too much for you?

ohland
03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
we are all painted with that same brush

My, my, my. A brush of pure grey? Monotony.

Icecream melts in my mouth, and I prefer it that way.

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Actually you are NOT asking for civility. The OP started with "new" members use bad language - an insult to ALL new members (this coming from a guy going "all the way back" to 2012). Free speech isn't free yet I see a bunch of people here all too eager to join the thought police. I agree we need to be polite to one another but if you are worried about your 8 yr old reading something on the internet then you need to be a better parent and watch your kid. Don't expect everyone else to watch out for YOU.

We should AWAYS welcome open and honest communication. We don't all come from the same place so you need to expect some differences.

Bzcraig
03-08-2015, 06:07 PM

All we're asking is mutual respect and civility. Is that too much for you?

Seems the response of mj2evans is that of a troll don't you think?

Bzcraig
03-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Actually you are NOT asking for civility. The OP started with "new" members use bad language - an insult to ALL new members (this coming from a guy going "all the way back" to 2012). Free speech isn't free yet I see a bunch of people here all too eager to join the thought police. I agree we need to be polite to one another but if you are worried about your 8 yr old reading something on the internet then you need to be a better parent and watch your kid. Don't expect everyone else to watch out for YOU.

We should AWAYS welcome open and honest communication. We don't all come from the same place so you need to expect some differences.

Actually, if you reread my original post there is no mention of 'new members' at all. I specifically and intentionally used 'low post count' for a reason. It seems your 8 years of membership has netted a contribution to the cast boolit family of a whopping 14.375 posts/yr. And for some strange reason my gut tells me more often than not those posts have occurred in threads like this and have been an effort to stir the pot. This thread is not about 'differences' as you stated it's about decency and discretion.

joesig
03-08-2015, 06:35 PM

People get too hung up on post count. Some have 1K posts worth of in-depth technical content and others 10K posts but most would never be found in a sticky.

You're(plural) free to think whatever you'd(plural) like. You(plural) are free to say whatever you'd(plural) like. I really don't care how you(plural) behave offline. What is typed on a forum in another story. It's been said a few times that we are guests to the forum and behaving by the rules is not too much to ask. It's not hard to type how you feel and go back and edit it with more family friendly language.

Being open and honest is not mutually exclusive with polite and clean.

I don't see it being too much to ask "When in Rome..."

jonas302
03-08-2015, 06:35 PM
The deal with the language is its against the rules plain and simple It doesn't matter what you think about it I do swear but it looks ridiculous in writing
It seems to me its mostly the high post count members that like to bend the rules around here thinking that they are above them

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 08:20 PM
OK Bzvcraig as well as the thought police you are now the post count police - here is your paper badge. I tend to READ a lot of posts and shoot - how about you? Sorry my contributions are not as "important" as yours (only loaded 200 rounds this week and shot 80). This is EXACTLY the lack respect you claim to want to stop via censorship but get all upset and when someone questions you. Sounds like you are little too worked up over not much.

I'll stick with freedom even at the expense of "offending" a few ears. If you can't understand that then I won't waste my time here. I got too much shooting to do.

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 08:26 PM
How does a site that is supposed to be pro 2A condone such open censorship???? I am not saying there are not limits to good taste but when you put in filters for words you are on dangerous ground. You say the site is for guests ... can't that same argument be used for just about all media? Or the entire internet for that matter?

You have rules ... that is fine. So why are people wanting more? Limiting speech is very dangerous ... tends to lead to suffering and death for a lot of people. I just can't understand why anyone would support it.

GLL
03-08-2015, 08:41 PM
I just read a response on a thread that began with the very condescending "Listen Buddy" that I found far more offensive than some mild profanity. The remainder of the response contained other wise remarks that others have been banned for ! :sad:

Jerry

Hamish
03-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Why? Who in their right mind thinks that I'm the same person as a person that is cursing profusely? Talk about an extremely foolish thing to do. I question the level of ones intelligence if they do this.

There may not he any cursing here but there is plenty of garbage to wade through.

As to the first part of your quote, I'm guessing you've never heard that saying before, and yes, I tend to equate boorish behavior in the same class as chronic foul mouth.

Regarding the second part of your quote, I think I would faint if I read a days posts here and and you hadn't picked a fight.

Navyvet, not sure why you're so resistant to the idea that part of the terms of service to be a member of this forum is no profanity, disguised or otherwise. There's no "Girlie-man" about it, I'm ex Navy, river rat deck hand, heavy construction, etc. I can plaster it all over the walls if need be, but not here, thank you. The great majority of us like having a forum where conduct is at least semi gentlemanly, without foul language, that we can share with ladies and children.

Anyone else that chafes at the idea of actually having to communicate without using profanity like mortar between every other word, get over it or go somewhere else, you agreed to the TOS.

Hamish
03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
How does a site that is supposed to be pro 2A condone such open censorship???? I am not saying there are not limits to good taste but when you put in filters for words you are on dangerous ground. You say the site is for guests ... can't that same argument be used for just about all media? Or the entire internet for that matter?

You have rules ... that is fine. So why are people wanting more? Limiting speech is very dangerous ... tends to lead to suffering and death for a lot of people. I just can't understand why anyone would support it.

Once more, with feeling,,,,m,

Its NOT censorship if its a private group that you AGREED to that being one of the codes of behavior,,,,,,,,

Time to go size brass.

dragon813gt
03-08-2015, 08:50 PM
Regarding the second part of your quote, I think I would faint if I read a days posts here and and you hadn't picked a fight.

Who have I picked a fight w/? I'm waiting for a response before I respond. But I have a good idea of why you think this.

country gent
03-08-2015, 08:51 PM
I watch an individuals posts as to content in relation to the topic, civility, helpfullness of the information and other factors to make up my mind. Its not just colorfull language but the tone of a persons posts and meaning in them. Tryung to be helpfull and pass along information, teaching or helping others and learning myself is why Im here.

mj2evans
03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Hamish and Bz ... can you see us little people all the way up on your high horse?

It just strikes me that people that get all bent up over post on a website and want to control others on said site have very little control is other areas of their lives. You can read into that whatever you want but I put censorship up there with treason and collaborating with the enemy.

Oh and you made no attempt to refute my logic about public space (FYI I don't agree with the FCC). Not that I imagined you would but wanted to point it out. Again, you are on that slippery slope.

JSnover
03-08-2015, 09:33 PM
Careful mj2evans… You'll knock yourself off your own pedestal.

joesig
03-08-2015, 09:38 PM

If "censorship" is being asked to be polite, then just wow.

This "media" is private and paid for. It is not the same as saying something while walking down the street.

Who is asking for MORE rules? The OP's point was some people are not abiding by the current rules.

You are misunderstanding freedom. When you are on private property, you are obligated to follow their rules or leave.

JSnover
03-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Seems the response of mj2evans is that of a troll don't you think?
Either that or he's not able to get his head around the concept of manners. I've been on several unmoderated forums and they usually devolve into free-for-alls, with a bunch of idiots hurling insults.
This is a much better place… if we can keep it clean.

fatelk
03-08-2015, 10:14 PM
Wow. Asking someone to be careful with their language is political censorship, the kind that leads to widespread suffering and death? Someone has a severe misunderstanding of basic civics. It's as if the mere cry of the word "Censorship!" is supposed to win the argument, without any understanding of what it really even means.

Nobody's judging anyone for their language. Talk however you want elsewhere and it doesn't bother me. If you come into my house and insist on talking like a sailor around my family, and I will kick you out of MY house. Same with this site; site owner makes the rules. Some other rules are no abusive personal attacks, no porn, etc.. Is this censorship?

Most people have a filter. The guys I work with use plenty of colorful language, but whenever we get together with our respective families they are respectful and careful with their language. They do it instinctively without anyone asking them to, like the mature adults that they are.

Hamish
03-08-2015, 10:54 PM
There's a hint of Frank in the air tonight,,,,,,,,,

Well said Country Gent.

therealhitman
03-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Title of this thread had me worried, I thought Spanish was being made the official language of CB.:shock:

BB

Sure feels like the official language of our school systems and about half of every state in the Union though.

Bzcraig
03-08-2015, 11:46 PM
For a few hours I thought about asking for the thread to be taken down, this is the first thread I've started that stirred up passion as it has. The more I thought about it though, the more I thought someone else would be able to better communicate what my point was. I posted an observation that was conjured up over the last 3-5 days when on 3 occasions I saw outright profanity. It baffles my imagination that the concept of this not being a "public forum" but a private domain which they agreed to the TOS and now they act as though that never happened. They have expressed that to agree to the TOS was censorship, I don't get it, they have a choice. I publicly apologize to mj2evans because I violated the TOS myself by making a post that attacked his person when I insinuated he was a troll.

mj2evans
03-09-2015, 12:09 AM
Bzcraig I accept your apology. As to the rest that want to jump on me have at it. I won't lose sleep over simple words or small minds.

You have your rules, fine. Quit griping about it. You guys really take a little criticism well. I'd hate to see the world if you had any actual authority.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 12:10 AM
If you don't like what someone says, I believe that there is an "ignore" feature.

I've seen what sites can devolve into when you have a bunch of pantywaists who want to control everything that everyone else says. I guess that's where the HOA Nazis congregate when they are not harassing the citizens of their communities.

btroj
03-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Censorship happens here but it isn't over language.

therealhitman
03-09-2015, 12:54 AM
Bzcraig I accept your apology. As to the rest that want to jump on me have at it. I won't lose sleep over simple words or small minds.

You have your rules, fine. Quit griping about it. You guys really take a little criticism well. I'd hate to see the world if you had any actual authority.

Quite a conciliatory tone. And such a gracious acceptance of the apology.
Cowboy fan, huh? :razz:

If you don't like what someone says, I believe that there is an "ignore" feature.
I've seen what sites can devolve into when you have a bunch of pantywaists who want to control everything that everyone else says. I guess that's where the HOA Nazis congregate when they are not harassing the citizens of their communities.

When I'm out in public and some ignoramous with low IQ and no class starts dropping F Bombs in front of my, and other people's, kids I wish there was an ignore button. Of course I can't see a post count in real life, but they usually look a decade or so younger than I (if that means anything). All I can do is try the "Watch the language there's kids here" but half the time they get puffy chested and belligerent and always risks the chance it escalates when they're in a group or if my temper snaps one on one. Am I attempting to censor in this instance? Or merely correcting an imbecile's witless shattering of decorum? Decorum must equal censorship. That's it. And politeness must equal oppression! Awww this is easy. Some arguments don't even need to make sense. Ask my grade schooler, she tries that kinda malarkey all the time. Though I guess it does work occasionally (see Clinton, Hilary re:Benghazi).
But I digress. I think the 15-25 yr age group just can't fathom that people don't really talk like an R rated movie in real life. I saw Scarface when I was a kid, but I didn't seem to affect how I spoke to my neighbors teachers or friends afterwards. Are today's youth truly that desensitized, or just callous and classless? Or has nobody been calling enough of them out to teach a few lessons in civility? It's not just on forums, unfortunately, the ignore button is needed. Handy invention where it does work though.
And thanks for the HOA reference...almost forgot to mow the lawn!

fatelk
03-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Hitman, good post. Some people just don't get it, and never will. Simple, mature, voluntary civility has a place in a free society and has nothing to do with censorship or oppression. There will always be those who mistake a request for a little civility as judgment or personal attack, and inevitably respond with "puffy chested belligerence" and cries of oppression.

Bzcraig
03-09-2015, 01:23 AM
Hitman.....does Thomas Hearns mind you using his handle? He is old now but I'd still want him on my side. Lol

fatelk
03-09-2015, 01:32 AM
I always regret getting involved in contentious threads like this. I'm not an aggressive, contentious person by nature, and hate getting sucked in. It looks like any and all valid point have been made on this issue by many reasonable and intelligent people, so I will bow out. Egos get bruised, things get said, people get offended. :(

I believe that there is an "ignore" feature
Yes, I remember the epic thread about that. I believe I will find and use it now, for the first time ever.

therealhitman
03-09-2015, 01:34 AM
BZcraig...I'm more worried about Brett Hart I think. :grin:

Buck Neck It
03-09-2015, 02:04 AM
Navy Vet gets my vote! I like every thing that he writes.

Bible guys: Ya cain't smoke, drink, or cuss, but you can lie, cheat, and steal. Pray for your neighbors one day a week, prey on them the other six.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 02:46 AM
When I'm out in public and some ignoramous with low IQ and no class starts dropping F Bombs in front of my, and other people's, kids I wish there was an ignore button. Of course I can't see a post count in real life, but they usually look a decade or so younger than I (if that means anything). All I can do is try the "Watch the language there's kids here" but half the time they get puffy chested and belligerent and always risks the chance it escalates when they're in a group or if my temper snaps one on one. Am I attempting to censor in this instance? Or merely correcting an imbecile's witless shattering of decorum? Decorum must equal censorship. That's it. And politeness must equal oppression! Awww this is easy. Some arguments don't even need to make sense. Ask my grade schooler, she tries that kinda malarkey all the time. Though I guess it does work occasionally (see Clinton, Hilary re:Benghazi).
But I digress. I think the 15-25 yr age group just can't fathom that people don't really talk like an R rated movie in real life. I saw Scarface when I was a kid, but I didn't seem to affect how I spoke to my neighbors teachers or friends afterwards. Are today's youth truly that desensitized, or just callous and classless? Or has nobody been calling enough of them out to teach a few lessons in civility? It's not just on forums, unfortunately, the ignore button is needed. Handy invention where it does work though.

And I still say that it's not *what* you say, but rather *how* you say it in order to make it truly offensive. There's plenty of ways to insult someone without resorting to words that would get filtered by a net nanny and not everything filtered by a net nanny is necessarily insulting. One of the things that I've noticed over the years is that if you truly want to insult someone, you need to do it in their native language, not one of the other languages that they know. It just doesn't have the same effect if you cuss them in some other language, even if they know the words. As a sailor, I'm somewhat multilingual in cuss words -- English, Spanish, Italian, and Mandarin Chinese. It's just language, so why should the actual words cause offense -- it's the *way* that they are used that can cause offense -- if you do it *right*... :)

These threads all end the same way though... You have one group who oppose censorship out of principle and another group who wants to control what everyone says. Neither group is going to change their mind. Various people will end up with infractions for trying to discuss this "taboo" topic and eventually, the moderators will either close the thread or delete it.

I tend not to use words that will get filtered by the net nanny, but sometimes I slip up because each site prohibits different words. Words that you can hear on network television sometimes get censored by the net nanny on some sites.

w5pv
03-09-2015, 08:26 AM
I try not to curse but I do at times.

I step unintenally on others feelings.

At the end of the day I do ask for forgivingness for my transgressions.

joesig
03-09-2015, 09:03 AM
And I still say that it's not *what* you say, but rather *how* you say it in order to make it truly offensive.
Agreed but I'd like to think people on here aren't actively trying to be offensive.

I tend not to use words that will get filtered by the net nanny, but sometimes I slip up because each site prohibits different words. Words that you can hear on network television sometimes get censored by the net nanny on some sites.
This is very true! Some words are completely G rated but are blocked!

TV and movies add words just to push the envelope. For how many decades were these mediums free of such words and what was not entertaining about them? Ah but that is a topic for another thread.

ballistim
03-09-2015, 09:31 AM
I agree with what Hamish said earlier regarding this being a private forum that we've agreed to the terms of service therefore censorship is not the issue regarding profanity. That being said, I'm not sure what you call it when someone is silenced, posts scrubbed, threads locked, members banned with little or no explanation or even allowing discussions regarding any of this.

Someone who's posted here and in other threads recently has caught my attention in that he sounds as if he's trying to become a moderator, even though it seems that moderation here recently and increasingly seems to have become a behind the scenes process with little or no explanation of reasons for actions taken, so if reading my comment here sounds like I'm talking about you and you're offended, you might want to ask yourself why.

badgeredd
03-09-2015, 10:06 AM
I just read a response on a thread that began with the very condescending "Listen Buddy" that I found far more offensive than some mild profanity. The remainder of the response contained other wise remarks that others have been banned for ! :sad:

Jerry

I am in total agreement Jerry! Tone often is far more offensive than mild swear words or words that some feel are crude.

Edd

Love Life
03-09-2015, 10:19 AM
String cheese is on sale at the local grocery store.

ohland
03-09-2015, 10:33 AM
String cheese is on sale at the local grocery store.

True, but is it real cheese, or is it pastuerized? Smoked string cheese is a sign from Gyod that we are loved.

Love Life
03-09-2015, 10:51 AM
It's that plastic like stuff.

ohland
03-09-2015, 10:57 AM
From Rise:

They put a hot wire to my head
Cos of the things I did and said
And made these feelings go away
Model citizen in every way

So what constitutes unacceptable? I can use multi-sylabic constructions that some former Marines used. Doesn't mean I want to maltreat anyone (except in the case of another online poll!).

No desire for a free fire zone. Email (even with emoticons) is a very terse medium. I can recall a George Carlin routine on the various ways one word can be used, either jocular, exasperation, violent intent, pleasure, and maybe a few others (been a long time). Unless we want to switch to recorded messages to capture nuances, or God forbid, video, we are all going to have to grow up.

So when I read things here that have been submitted by members, on a rare occasion, I would like to take a baseball bat to their computer. But I don't, because of almost three decades of dealing with email. Shake your head and wonder what is eating them? English - "it creaks and groans, but is mine alone".

Be alert to the cognative dissonance.

And now back to our regularly schedured broadcast...

farmerjim
03-09-2015, 11:40 AM
When I moved to Montreal from Louisiana in the late 70's I could not speak a word of French. Before the first week was out I new every curse word there is in French. It took me 2 more years of study to learn to speak the rest of the language. When I moved to a house in one of the total French sections of town I had a nice older french lady as a next door neighbor. She spoke English to me, as her English was much better than my French. What amazed me was she cursed like a sailor in English, but never would say anything like a curse word in French. The English words for the same thoughts and things just did not have a vulgar meaning to her as the French did.

Mooseman
03-09-2015, 01:34 PM
This is a Privately owned site and freedom of speech guaranteed by the Constitution is Not total freedom of speech, only speaking out against the government and petitioning are a right. Here you are on private property and as such we have rules here you agree to follow or you will be shown the door. This forum was set up to be educational and bring others into the casting and shooting world to teach them and keep our hobby alive. We have people from all over the world reading our forum , many who are not members, on any given day. We want the forum to be the best it can be and keep the gutter talk and trolling and fighting out of here.We have children reading this forum, as well as ladies and so if you can't show a little common decency here , then i suggest you find another forum, plain and simple.
The Moderators here are Members who when asked, accepted a volunteer position to help keep this forum on the right track , and we work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep it running smoothly. We refuse to let this forum become a Garbage pit like some other forums have become. We ban porn spammers, regular spammers , etc. quickly to insure a clean site. Take time to read The TOS and especially the "We reserve the Right " part.
The same way you cannot yell "Fire" in a crowded theater and get away with it , you cannot come in here cursing, namecalling, trolling , picking a fight, or spreading BS for your own pleasure. It will be dealt with. Those who say "you are violating my rights " need to take a step back and reread what you agreed to in order to join.If i came into your house and started cursing at you and your family , what could I expect ? A butt kicking and to be shown the door. Here it is no different.
I suggest if you need a "special" word there are things like "Dang" , heck, Boloney, Dagnabbit, etc. that wont incur the wrath of staff. I for one think Our members are great people and have the common decency to keep it clean and above all ...Think before you post !!!

Bodine
03-09-2015, 01:38 PM
AMEN to that!

mj2evans
03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
The OP seems to be pushing more than vulgar language should be limited. Its when you start to let the scope of your "well meaning" limits widen that things go downhill in a hurry. Plus I don't relinquish my God given rights just because someone else says this is their sandbox.

When you start putting more and more limits on people, and judge others by their post count, it looks like you are empire building. This leads to wanting to control discussions and limit growth. That is all I am pointing out. These are the lessons of history.

oneokie
03-09-2015, 02:11 PM
The OP seems to be pushing more than vulgar language should be limited. Its when you start to let the scope of your "well meaning" limits widen that things go downhill in a hurry. Plus I don't relinquish my God given rights just because someone else says this is their sandbox.
In case someone has not found the Terms of Service that they agreed to when they joined, here is the section referenced in one of the above posts;

4) WE RESERVE THE RIGHT to refuse access to anyone that promotes undesirable attitudes, is adversarial towards the members/moderators/admins or is just generally socially unacceptable.

For anyone who has comprehension issues;
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT to

refuse access to anyone that promotes undesireable attitudes

is adversarial towards the members/moderators/admins

or

is just socially unacceptable.

One does not give up their "God given rights" here, they only have to abide by our rules. Plain and simple. If they cannot bring them selves to do this simple thing, their stay here will be short in duration.

lkydvl
03-09-2015, 02:17 PM
"Plus I don't relinquish my God given rights just because someone else says this is their sandbox."

You Sir, are dense. Your rights are not unlimited just because you think they should be. You can abide by the rules here or go elsewhere. You can behave like you wish and bear the consequences. That's a fact. Why? Cause that is the site owner's RIGHT and the Mods duty.

tryNto
03-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Plus I don't relinquish my God given rights just because someone else says this is their sandbox.

You Sir, are dense. Your rights are not unlimited just because you think they should be. You can abide by the rules here or go elsewhere. You can behave like you wish and bear the consequences. That's a fact. Why? Cause that is the site owner's RIGHT and the Mods duty.

:awesome: I agree.

Bzcraig
03-09-2015, 06:12 PM

When you start putting more and more limits on people, and judge others by their post count, it looks like you are empire building. This leads to wanting to control discussions and limit growth. That is all I am pointing out. These are the lessons of history.

I will not apologize again Mr Evans. My OP was in plain English and if you are not able to interpret it's meaning from the words included in it and insist there is some hidden meaning that only you are capable of seeing then it would seem you lead a most miserable existence. Next stop is my ignore list.

mj2evans
03-09-2015, 06:14 PM
... yawn ...

mj2evans
03-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Oh I get you set limits and I have followed them .... so stop trying to be the thought police. ANYONE can view this site so are part of public domain.

The road to hell is paved in good intentions and that is what I was point out. Censorship ship never leads to anything good. I am sorry you can't see that.

Bzcraig
03-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Troll status reinstated.

JSnover
03-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Troll status reinstated.
And ignored. Problem solved.

jcwit
03-09-2015, 06:57 PM
And to think there are those who have ME on their ignore list.

RogerDat
03-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Not to beat a dead (or at least wounded) horse but if you can't write it without swearing then you really need to work on your vocabulary and try harder. I can see slipping up in conversation but in written form? Give me a break!

Recall freedom of the press only exists for those that own printing presses, it does not guarantee that what you want to write will get printed on someone else's press.

My house my rules, someone else's house their rules and the only appropriate response to violating the house rules is an apology or leaving if you find them too unbearable. What is not an option is telling someone what rules they should change in their house to suit you. Especially when most of the people at the party are just fine without potty mouth dialog.

fatnhappy
03-09-2015, 07:19 PM
"Plus I don't relinquish my God given rights just because someone else says this is their sandbox."

See how easy that is Andre.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/lhsjfk3t/Untitled_zpswm1wemn9.jpg (http://s63.photobucket.com/user/lhsjfk3t/media/Untitled_zpswm1wemn9.jpg.html)

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Not to beat a dead (or at least wounded) horse but if you can't write it without swearing then you really need to work on your vocabulary and try harder. I can see slipping up in conversation but in written form? Give me a break!

Sometimes, it's just that the net nanny filtered words are the most appropriate.

For example, you might say that someone is being an *** (EDIT: it got filtered -- insert 3-letter word commonly used for Equus Asinus). Whether this gets filtered on this site or another site is anyone's guess. I've seen sites that will filter "assume" to "***ume". That's getting a bit ridiculous.

Why should you have to say that someone is an Equus Asinus or the posterior area of a human body (depending upon your actual intentions) when it is so much more compact to just use the 3-letter word?

Now, from a purely language standpoint, one could argue that saying that someone "was being an <insert-above-3-letter-word>" implied Equus Asinus whereas saying that someone "was an <insert-above-3-letter-word>" might imply either of the two definitions in that the 3-letter word is being used as a short form of the 7-letter word.

With all this talk of 3-letter and 7-letter words, you have to start wondering if we're playing Wheel of Fortune or something. :)

MT Gianni
03-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Is your vocabulary really so poor that 3 and 7 letter words is the only way you can communicate? I have been dressed down by intense men who used not a curse word but left me no doubt as to what my mistakes and or flaws were. If you don't care for the rules vote with your feet, there is no censorship there or cost to do so.

country gent
03-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Really wondering if When BZCRAIG made the OP if he had any udea the can of worms he was opening???????

Bzcraig
03-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Really wondering if When BZCRAIG made the OP if he had any udea the can of worms he was opening???????

No sir I didn't. However every cloud has a silver lining, I have for the first time exercised my right to use the ignore list and X3 just from this thread. BUT, at the other extreme, there are now 3 pages of gentlemen trying to help a few understand their rights on a private forum to no avail.

therealhitman
03-09-2015, 09:23 PM
It is the way it is. Anarchists are generally short sighted and illogical in the extreme, Evans being a perfect example. It's when there are more anarchists than decent polite humans that the trouble starts. That might be the Zombie apocalypse right there.

And Evans, no more PMs OK? Get it through your head. No I won't be your friend on Facebook, I don't want to join your "My Little Pony" forum. And no I don't wanna see the Pinterest "True Friends" board you made for me. PLEASE STOP BEGGING!

country gent
03-09-2015, 09:29 PM
X3 ??????

oneokie
03-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Think he means he added 3 names to his ignore list.

Bzcraig
03-09-2015, 09:53 PM
X3 ??????

Oneokie is correct and and none of ya'll were included! Hitman.....he PM'ed me too but he wasn't so cordial.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Is your vocabulary really so poor that 3 and 7 letter words is the only way you can communicate? I have been dressed down by intense men who used not a curse word but left me no doubt as to what my mistakes and or flaws were. If you don't care for the rules vote with your feet, there is no censorship there or cost to do so.

It's not a matter of vocabulary, but rather a matter of efficiency.

Calling someone an Equus Asinus just doesn't have the same impact, even if it is technically the same.

Hamish
03-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Oh I get you set limits and I have followed them .... so stop trying to be the thought police. ANYONE can view this site so are part of public domain.

The road to hell is paved in good intentions and that is what I was point out. Censorship ship never leads to anything good. I am sorry you can't see that.

Reminds me of the old joke. "Mind like a steel trap. Nothing gets in, nothing gets out."

oneokie
03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Odds are that they would have no idea as to what they were called.

Hamish
03-09-2015, 10:11 PM
It's not a matter of vocabulary, but rather a matter of efficiency.

Calling someone an Equus Asinus just doesn't have the same impact, even if it is technically the same.

its not a matter of vocabulary OR efficiency. There's no profanity on the Cast Boolits forum. Take the hint. Going on and on about it is a avian cloaca effluent.

Budzilla 19
03-09-2015, 10:19 PM
Gentlemen , my 2 cents; just be polite, concise and to the point,respect to others, and be satisfied in the knowledge that your posts will stand the test of being read in public! Thanks for letting me express my opinion. BTW, I can let it fly with the best, BUT,not here. My choice.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 10:43 PM
its not a matter of vocabulary OR efficiency. There's no profanity on the Cast Boolits forum. Take the hint. Going on and on about it is a avian cloaca effluent.

There is plenty of profanity on this site. Words like "Democrats", "Obama", "Clinton". These are a LOT more offensive than some simple 3 or 4 letter words.

Using your above example, the question becomes whether you are wanting to say "bird <4-letter-word>" or "chicken <4-letter-word>". What you said would more accurately be translated into "bird <4-letter-word>", although I suspect that you most likely meant to say "chicken <4-letter-word>". As such, "gallus domesticus cloaca effluent" would be more accurate, although I suspect that "gallus domesticus cloaca excrement" (or just "gallus domesticus excrement") have even been a more accurate translation.

What good is a dead horse unless you beat it some more?

mj2evans
03-09-2015, 10:57 PM
Ignore all you want ... I want lose any sleep over it. I am tired of people expecting others to walk on eggshells but they have no problem calling others names (wonder who I am talking to?) and talking down to some members. Not a good way to promote open communication. Sorry you can't get that.

mj2evans
03-09-2015, 11:02 PM
hitboy you couldn't pay me to be your friend

Cmm_3940
03-09-2015, 11:21 PM
DRAMA THREAD!!! :popcorn:
​(c'mon guys... Really?)

Buck Neck It
03-10-2015, 12:31 AM
I had the privilege of listening to real WW 11 and Korean war vets. They are gone now.

I will tell people what they said, just the way they said it. Marine corps vets are real polite, you bet!

10x
03-10-2015, 06:04 AM
No sir I didn't. However every cloud has a silver lining, I have for the first time exercised my right to use the ignore list and X3 just from this thread. BUT, at the other extreme, there are now 3 pages of gentlemen trying to help a few understand their rights on a private forum to no avail.

You nail it.
Class, style, deportment, and decorum do not require expletives...

NavyVet1959
03-10-2015, 06:10 AM
I had the privilege of listening to real WW 11 and Korean war vets. They are gone now.

WW 11?

Did I fall asleep and miss 3-10 in History class? Come to think of it, I don't remember 11 either... :)

NOTE: Use "I" for Roman numerals...

BTW, why did someone decide to use Roman numerals for the two World Wars anyway? Wasn't WW1 and WW2 good enough for them?

On a side note... You know you're old when you can remember learning how to type on a typewriter that did not have the number "1" on the keyboard and you had to use the lowercase "L" (i.e. "l").