PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like it will work

bigalf
03-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Disclaimer: I just want opinions, nothing binding I assume all risk. Does this load sound like it will work....
I have 125gr wheel weight, powder coated boolits sized to .357. Overall length is 1.075" ideally. I'd measured some at 1.073"-1.082". Load is WSL Winchester powder at 3.9-4.0gr. Load data is 3.6-4.2 suggested. This is my first attempt at a full worked up load. So does anyoen think this will blow up my gun or anything crazy? It is OK to shoot .357 out of a 9MM correct?

MtGun44
03-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Yes on diameter, but why not start at the starting load? I'd load 5 with 3.6 and see how it
goes.

bigalf
03-07-2015, 01:37 AM
IDK I just figured I'd start in the middle. How do I determine if its too hot or needs to be reduced?

tazman
03-07-2015, 06:41 AM
I size mine to .358 but I have Beretta barrels which tend to be overly large for 9mm and have loose chambers. Sizing to .357 should be fine.
When you are working up with a new powder, a chronograph becomes an essential tool. You can tell a lot with one by seeing if your results are the same as or close to the listed data. If your velocities are running higher than the reference material, you are almost certainly dealing with higher pressure.
Remember to take barrel length into account during this process as well as this will change the velocities you get.
They list starting loads so that people who have tight chambers and abrupt throats don't run into pressure problems by starting out at the heavier loads.
Good luck with your new loads.

btroj
03-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Mtgun44 gave you some pretty darn sage advice.

If this is an early attempt at reloading I would stay on the lower side of things. Formula one guys didn't start racing at 200 MPH, Did they?

Yodogsandman
03-07-2015, 09:59 AM
bigalf, I don't have a 9mm or WSL. A quick google search showed a max load of 3.8gr with a 125gr LEAD boolit. You might have confused your load for a jacketed bullet load. The listed max load should always be reduced by 10% for starting loads. There's all sorts of warnings on this powder and it's been discontinued by Winchester. Start loads are just that, a place to start your loadings, not just some reference point! This is a shotgun powder and requires even more diligence! I always check multiple resources for all loading information, the experts make typo mistakes, too.

125gr LSW WSL 3.8 gr. 985FPS

Animal
03-07-2015, 10:11 AM
Start at the minimum, probably even 10% lower. Even Mr. Richard Lee states in his handloading manual that he hardly works above the middle of the load. He usually finds best loads on the south side of the middle. If I have this quotation a bit wrong, I'm sure it is in the spirit of what he states. Read the manuals on "over pressure". It spells out and gives pictures of what to look and listen for. Take the time to treat this load with respect.

mdi
03-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Yes on diameter, but why not start at the starting load? I'd load 5 with 3.6 and see how it
goes.
"Normal" reloading procedure is to start at the beginning. You have an "unknown" bullet, a powder and load you've never tried before, so what's wrong with starting at the starting load?

bedbugbilly
03-07-2015, 06:16 PM
This is not intended to criticize you at all . . . but it sounds like you are starting out at reloading?

If so . . . you really need to go back and review your loading manual and understand the part on starting at the bottom of the data and "working your way up". What you are doing is trying to take a "short cut" and it can come back to haunt you. It doesn't take a lot to load a few at the bottom of the data and then work your way up . . . and you might just be surprised to find that something on the lower end works best out of your pistol.

As far as signs of "too hot" . . . there should be a section in your reloading manual along with photos of signs to look out for. There are probably a lot of discussions about it on here as well.

Please . . . "be safe" and either read or re-read you manual on working up a load and what the acceptable safe practices are that every reloader follows. That also includes . . . smaller case volume = increased pressures (as in seating too deep), etc.

altheating
03-07-2015, 06:31 PM
You can start at any point that you want, but remember, the hair, teeth and eyeballs that go everywhere are yours.
Listen to the members here and start low and work up, every gun is different. Do a google search for blow up guns and you can see why.

bigalf
03-07-2015, 07:11 PM
OK guys appreciate the advice. I guess Ill be pulling boolits tonight, and redoing my loads. So another question, if I am powder coating my boolits do I still treat them as lead for reloading purposes or are they now considered jacketed?

Yodogsandman
03-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Powder coating is to replace the lubricant. Consider them as cast lead boolits. While it's still controversial, I think some of my PC loads are running at higher pressures than plain lubed ones.

BTW, I just ESPC'd some green colored ones for the 17th.

tazman
03-07-2015, 07:48 PM
OK guys appreciate the advice. I guess Ill be pulling boolits tonight, and redoing my loads. So another question, if I am powder coating my boolits do I still treat them as lead for reloading purposes or are they now considered jacketed?

Treat them as cast lead. Some people report velocity differences due to the coating but normally not a lot.

MtGun44
03-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Brad,

Yes, working your way up to 200 mph in an F1 car takes a few laps. :bigsmyl2:
http://s300.photobucket.com/user/wrflenexa/media/GOPR0018_zpson5akzbb.mp4.html

Same thing should apply to loading with new components. Once you know what
the results are with the starting load, you have a reference point to go up from as
needed. The use of a chrono is very helpful, as mentioned by tazman. If the book
says that the starting load gave 950 fps in their test bbl, and it gives 1050 in yours,
you may want to stop right there, since this is about where most normal 9mm loads
are. OTOH, if it gives 850 in your gun you may need to be up nearer the upper end
to get the normal velocities. Each gun is different, the chrono is your friend, since
pretty much, pressure = velocity with a given boolit wt. Higher or lower velocity means
higher or lower pressures.

btroj
03-07-2015, 11:14 PM
I load my CZ75 on the lower end of things. I'm making holes in paper and velocity doesn't make any difference to a target. It also saves me some powder.
Unless you really need more speed why try to get it? Load for accuracy.

tazman
03-08-2015, 01:02 AM
I load my CZ75 on the lower end of things. I'm making holes in paper and velocity doesn't make any difference to a target. It also saves me some powder.
Unless you really need more speed why try to get it? Load for accuracy.

Words of wisdom there.

Fishman
03-08-2015, 06:12 AM
As I recall, my max load for WSL and the Lee 125 gr lead rn was 3.6 gr. But that was 20 years ago, and I was a cautious novice reloader and caster. You've gotten good advice on this thread.

mdi
03-08-2015, 12:01 PM
When I first started PCing bullets I read a bunch of opinions on how "fast" they should be shot. But, I decided to K.I.S.S. and use lead data for all except my rifles (gas checked and PCed), which I run a hair faster than lead). I've only done a few PCed bullets in my 303 Enfield and my Mosin, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I just got a new 308 and intend to do a work up with PCed bullets...