PDA

View Full Version : I have this container of fffg goex black powder

triggerhappy243
03-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Fff black. Found it in the back of my powder box. I have no use for it. 3/4 of a pound, what could i sell it for? I understand i would need to sell it locally, but not sure of the price.

str8shot426
03-07-2015, 12:03 AM
I buy my goex locally for $18.50 lb. If that helps.

Grump
03-07-2015, 04:47 AM
May I suggest that you NEED to take a road trip to the morebeautifulthanyours red rock country of southern Utah?

We'll feed ya good once ya get here. Spare bedroom in the basement. Sorry, the beer here sucks. Come at the right week/weekend and the local live theaters have some excellent productions.

I'll even let you shoot ridiculous amounts of my .22, 9mm, .38 Spl, .223 and .308 ammo at my favorite spot, out to 400 yards.

And then I'll pay ya $25 those 12 ounces. No one here locally or in LV will carry genuine BP any more.

Avery Arms
03-07-2015, 06:26 AM
I pay $20 + tax at bass pro for Goex black powder but around here nobody will buy a partial can at a gunshow or market and I can usually buy a half or 3/4 can for like $5

That said I would never consider selling black powder to a stranger at a gunshow or something like that. I'm not saying it is necessarily against the law to do so but the federal/state/local laws/fire codes regarding dealing in or displaying black powder are extremely strict and can be difficult at best to find, read and understand. You can also obey all 10,000 applicable laws and still lose your shirt in civil court because you sold something to an idiot. Much better to just give it away to a friend who can use it or sprinkle it over your lawn for fertilizer.

Grump you can order real black powder online for $10-15 a pound and that is a lot cheaper than most local stores. The shipping and hazmat fees bring it back up to +/- retail but you have a wide selection to choose from and you certainly won't need to pay $25 for 12 ounces. A couple places that sell it are grafs and powderinc both places include shipping powderinc includes hazmat in their prices so keep that in mind.

OverMax
03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
There are times when a simple give-away is more pleasing to both party's than a outright sell. Even so. I would think its resale is worth 10 Bucks at the very least to just about any B/P shooter. (Keep in mind B/P is classified as a Explosive.) These days. If sold. Be smart and make darn sure its sold to a B/P shooter only.

pietro
03-07-2015, 08:48 AM

"Give it away or use it as fertilizer" - +1

I wouldn't sell it to a stranger, lest I get tagged as a potential terrorist. ;)

triggerhappy243
03-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Excellent points by all. I had no intention to sell it to anyone that i could not personally hand it to. And that person would most definitely had to prove to me they do shoot a smokepole. Not even avery... Who wanted to sell me used 250 savage brass for more than the price of factory new brass. What a nice guy. I think all things considered, i will just do a controlled burn on the ground and be done with it. Thanks to all.

mooman76
03-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Maybe you can work a trade so it's a win win.

triggerhappy243
03-07-2015, 12:49 PM
The point made of it falling into the hands of the village idiot...ie: Terrorist. Or worse, is enough for me to just burn it up on the ground.

fouronesix
03-07-2015, 01:12 PM
Surely you would know someone with a muzzleloader you could give it to or go shoot with. FFF Goex? What's all the talk or even thought like blackpowder is an illegal or contraband substance!

triggerhappy243
03-07-2015, 01:21 PM
I am not implying that it is bad to have. Most all the guys i shot bp with are gone now. The liability issue is a valid one. If i knew someone who really does shoot muzzleloaders near me, i would give it to him/her in a heartbeat. I do hate waste.

Avery Arms
03-07-2015, 02:00 PM
Trigger .250 savage brass has not been produced in years that is why used brass is expensive like .75-1.00 each http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=466857316 and new brass is darn near out of sight like this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=462147625 and this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465874370

Anyway it doesn't matter if my brass was actually worth the .60 asking price or not you are completely out of line to go putting down a fellow forum member just because you didn't like their asking price for something in swappin & sellin.

Regarding the actual black powder conversation I would not attempt to burn 12oz of black powder too much rotten egg smelling smoke and there is a chance you will set a tiny twig or something on fire and have a mishap when you try to pour more powder out. It is much easier and safer to sprinkle it over your lawn or put it down the drain, it is just 13-0-44 fertilizer with some charcoal and sulfur (all good for plants) and it dissolves instantly in water and becomes harmless. If you don't like the hairs on your hand and want to burn a teaspoon of it for amusement that is understandable sometimes I just can't help but to pour 10 grains on the ground and stick a match in it. 5,000 grains however is another matter.

triggerhappy243
03-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Avery........................... Read that post again. I did not put you down. Merely reiterated that i should sell it cheap at the same time you wanted to sell higher than what new brass costs. Kind of like selling/ gouging 22 long rifle ammo, because there is a shortage. Btw, winchester has reintroduced 250 brass and ammo as well as remington. Picked up 500 pieces. I do hope you were able to sell your brass. Have a wonderful weekend. Me? Loading some 250 savage.

triggerhappy243
03-07-2015, 02:31 PM
Btw, in my view, only an idiot would spend $471.00 on 3 bags of brass when you can expand 22-250 brass to .257............ 250 savage is the parent cartridge for the 22-250.

But i do like your thought process

Eddie2002
03-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Why don't you keep it, you never know when a BP firearm may come your way. Properly stored it will last just about forever.

ejcrist
03-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I gotta agree with Eddie2002. I gave away my last 1/2 lb of FFG to a friend a while back because I only have one rifle that takes it and all the rest like 3FG the best so I figured I wouldn't use it. Then later I started putting together a 58 and now I have a 62 jaeger kit on order from Track, so I'm wishing I kept that 1/2 lb. You never know when a new muzzleloader might come into your life.

Grump
03-09-2015, 11:20 AM
I've checked out two or maybe three on-line sources for black powder and they all now sell ONLY in full cases of 25 1-lb containers apiece.

Not enough friends into BP here to make a group buy a reality. Yeah, I even tried the nearest Bass Pro and they refuse to carry it. Only Pyrodex & Triple-7. I really don't want to bother with that stuff.

The sad thing about all this silliness is that terrorists just don't use BP for bombs any more. They prefer the higher-energy explosives, for multiple reasons. But since it's the easy thing to do and it might slow down some "lone wolf" idiot, let's penalize everyone who didn't do it and won't do it in the future. Too many politicos believed that last sequence in Rambo, and no regulatory pukes will share their "expertise" with them...

fouronesix
03-09-2015, 11:59 AM
Actually, the 2 sources I've used for ordering BP still show the same minimums they've had for quite some time.

Powder Inc 5# and Graf 1#. There are price breaks for larger orders with Powder Inc and the prices shown include shipping and hazmat per order. You have to do the complete calculation for multiple pounds... accounting for flat shipping fee plus single order hazmat for a Graf order.

http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3501?

koehlerrk
03-09-2015, 09:34 PM
A group of us at work went in on a "group buy" from Powder Inc a month or so ago. Final price was $16 and change for Goex and Schutzen... I got some of both to try. But then we all kicked in a bit and the guy who actually ordered and received the box wound up getting a couple pounds free... for his time and effort.

That said, Powder Inc lets you mix and match brands and grades of black powder in any size order. The whole order had: Swiss, Goex, and Schutzen, and every grade from 4F to "cannon" powder, and the didn't bat an eye. Good folks to deal with.

BrianL
03-09-2015, 10:42 PM
My understanding was that if doing a group buy, all parties had to pay in advance and state how much of the buy was theirs. I thought that it is illegal to sell or even give away real black powder.

triggerhappy243
03-09-2015, 10:58 PM
WHERE ARE MY MANNERS? Grump, please accept my sincere thank you for your invitation. Utah really is a beautiful state. been there many times.

waksupi
03-10-2015, 12:50 AM
My understanding was that if doing a group buy, all parties had to pay in advance and state how much of the buy was theirs. I thought that it is illegal to sell or even give away real black powder.

There is absolutely no problem doing either out here in America.

koehlerrk
03-10-2015, 09:43 AM

Paid in advance, yup, did that. How much for each was settled at the same time. And as for selling or giving away personal property... nope, nothing wrong there. Each of the buyers kicked in a little extra because the guy who placed the order was also the one who did all the organizing, handled all the logistics, and delivered all of it to all the buyers. For that, the rest of us gave him a few extra bucks and he wound up "getting" a couple pounds of his powder for free. So where is doing right by someone illegal?

BrianL
03-10-2015, 10:49 AM
I was only going by the sales agreement at Powder Inc about resale.

Besides, this is not the first time that my understanding of something was incorrect..........

Pyro&Black
03-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Carlos from Ed's Gun Shop will sell and ship one can of blackpowder/substitute powder - at least he did recently. Keep in-mind that shipping such-a-container will cost ya'.
You can reach him at....vilorio2005@aol.com