PDA

View Full Version : Air gun gunsmiths?

turret1450
03-05-2015, 11:45 PM
Was wondering if there are any air gun gunsmiths in the Illinois area. I have an old S&W Model 79 air pistol that I'd lime to get operating again. I think the internal seals are shot. Would love to get it working again. Any suggestions?

Ithaca Gunner
03-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Maybe call Pyramid Air and ask if they can rebuild it. They have a few air gun smiths on site I believe.

melloairman
03-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Was wondering if there are any air gun gunsmiths in the Illinois area. I have an old S&W Model 79 air pistol that I'd lime to get operating again. I think the internal seals are shot. Would love to get it working again. Any suggestions?I do not know if Alan can help you but he might know of some one who can if he can not . Marvin
http://www.abairgun.com/AboutUs.htm

Multigunner
03-06-2015, 11:21 PM
I have a S&W 78g that a friend found buried in bottom mud after the lake went down.
The valve seal lasted for awhile but when it gave up the ghost I ordered a replacement valve stem from Numrich Arms (Gunparts corp).
Just the valve stem cost $27 with shipping but it was well worth it. This old pistol works like a new one.

Don't know what parts they have, perhaps you can find them listed on their site but if not they sometimes have parts not listed or relic guns they can strip for usable parts.

You can make a temporary repair for the gas chamber seal by using common plumbing O-rings, but when high pressure CO2 permeates the rubber of the ring you have to wait about 15 minutes after discharging all the gas before unscrewing the plug. if you don't the O-ring well have tiny bubbles rupturing ruining the ring.
if you wait long enough the pressure equalizes and you can continue to use that O-ring for awhile.

The main spring tension is adjustable. If the spring pressure is too high it may cause the valve to not seal properly if the valve spring is weak.

The tiny O-ring on the probe is available at most hardware or plumbing supply stores. The same size ring is used for air gauges that fit on the adapters used to convert propane tanks for use as compressed air tanks.

Sometimes old dried out o-rings and seals can be revitalized by soaking them in transmission fluid.

turret1450
03-07-2015, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the insight, I will start checking these avenues out.