PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on purchase of 25 acp mold and sizing die purchase

bhp9
03-05-2015, 10:47 AM
I am looking to buy a mold for the 25 acp. I would like to buy a mold and if it is not steel it would have to have bushings in the blocks for the pin seats. What is your opinion on the best mold. I have been looking at MP molds out of Slovenia which can be had in brass or aluminum. They look like outstanding quality and machining. The vent lines are first class machining and seem to be head and shoulders above the crude vent lines of the NEI molds. Would brass or aluminum be better. I would think brass would be harder and more durable.

I was wondering where I could get a picture of LBT molds as their web site does not have pictures of their molds close up. I was wondering if their molds have machined air vent channels and if their aluminum blocks have pin bushings or not.

What would be the best diameter to have the mold made in. I have always liked to shoot oversize bullets but I realize that going to far might bulge out the tiny 25 acp case making chambering difficult. I was thinking possible about having the mold made to drop the bullets at .253 diameter with linotype metal.

What company would make or modify a lube sizer (Lyman style) to a specific diameter as Lyman only makes a .251 diameter.

Screwbolts
03-05-2015, 11:17 AM
sent you a PM.

rintinglen
03-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Do not be put off unnecessarily by metal composition. There are aluminum moulds in use today that have been in use for decades and are still serviceable, and there are steel molds that were junk the day they left the factory. A quality mold given adequate care in use and storage will outlast your pistol. The problem you face is that the 25 Auto is rapidly entering into obsolescence. It was never popular with reloaders--having reloaded one box of those dinky things I understand why--and amongst bullet casters I suspect it ranks some where between the 405 Winchester and the .416 Rigby in popularity.

Lyman discontinued making the 252-435 sometime back in the 90's and didn't even bother with the little cartridge in their 4th edition Cast Boolit Hand book. In a nut shell, you have chosen the road less traveled--very much less traveled.

RCBS still catalogs a 251-50 mould in their special order group, but be prepared to pay a premium price--Midway sells them, but they run 124.99 plus shipping. Accurate makes no moulds smaller than 30 caliber. Current manufacture NEI molds do not match the quality that their predecessors had in my opinion. MP molds are special run only, I do not recall a 25ACP being made by him,but if there is a group buy, the waiting times have become excessive-some well over two years. Ranch Dog is out of business but did catalog a 25 ACP boolit that might be available from somebody here. Ballisticast catalogs a 25 ACP mold, but I have had no dealings with them and have read some negative reports concerning their lengthy lead times. SAECO does not catalog a 25 ACP mould

I think you'll have to hit the e-bay route and just watch for a used one to come up for auction--then bid high.

texassako
03-05-2015, 05:56 PM
I would hop on the MP mold group buy. I think he is about to cut it. Another option would be to see if you could find 9 others and see if NOE will do a run of the Ranchdog design. I use the updated version of that one and it runs great. The Lyman is a collectors item now with a 4 cavity closing at $550 recently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331489550053?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . LBT would make one for you, and I shoot a little 31gr pill intended for airguns sometimes. That stubby little bullet is a pain to feed though. I just tumble lube mine and use a Lee push through sizer made by opening up a used .243 sizer. Some guns have very oversize bore and groove dimensions. The original Ranchdog design was made for those and dropped .256. The new one is still pretty big, but is altered to fit the guns that are a proper .251". You might want to measure yours first.

rintinglen
03-05-2015, 06:56 PM
Wow, I just saw that the 25 MP is nearing production--there is your answer. Jump on the band wagon now or forever regret it. A 4 cavity MP in brass will be less than the RCBS 2 Cavity iron. And If he's putting them on the machine, you should have it within two or three months, not years. Now if he could just get the 359-640 125 grain hp up to the front...

melloairman
03-05-2015, 10:50 PM
I am looking to buy a mold for the 25 acp. I would like to buy a mold and if it is not steel it would have to have bushings in the blocks for the pin seats. What is your opinion on the best mold. I have been looking at MP molds out of Slovenia which can be had in brass or aluminum. They look like outstanding quality and machining. The vent lines are first class machining and seem to be head and shoulders above the crude vent lines of the NEI molds. Would brass or aluminum be better. I would think brass would be harder and more durable.

I was wondering where I could get a picture of LBT molds as their web site does not have pictures of their molds close up. I was wondering if their molds have machined air vent channels and if their aluminum blocks have pin bushings or not.

What would be the best diameter to have the mold made in. I have always liked to shoot oversize bullets but I realize that going to far might bulge out the tiny 25 acp case making chambering difficult. I was thinking possible about having the mold made to drop the bullets at .253 diameter with linotype metal.

What company would make or modify a lube sizer (Lyman style) to a specific diameter as Lyman only makes a .251 diameter.
The 25 caliber LBT mold I have was made for my AR . But he will make what ever changes you like . I will give you a picture of the mold to answer your questions . I have used the RCBS mold and the bullets were accurate . But I sold it because it was a very heavy mold . It is made out of a extra large specialty mold block . It also needs to be run fast and hot because of its size . Looked at the group buy mold spoke about here and if it was heavier I would be tempted .GL. Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/IMG_7387-Copy_zpsff4fd471.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/melloroadman/media/IMG_7387-Copy_zpsff4fd471.jpg.html)

melloairman
03-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Now you have me thinking . What material are the group buy MP molds going to be made out of .Marvin

Catshooter
03-06-2015, 02:01 AM
I'd measure the pistol first. My 25 has a .248 bore.

Welcome to the forum bhp.

Cat

Echo
03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
I contemplated reloading 25's for about a millisecond or 2 - Criminy! Those little pills are impossible for me to handle, with my sausage-like fingers. Just the idea of sizing, loobing, and loading them gives me the willies...

melloairman
03-06-2015, 10:25 PM
Now you have me thinking . What material are the group buy MP molds going to be made out of .Marvin
I guess I am the only one that wants to know what the mold is made of before I sign up to buy the mold . Some one said lets keep this thing going . Well I am trying . Marvin

Screwbolts
03-07-2015, 08:45 AM
I guess I am the only one that wants to know what the mold is made of before I sign up to buy the mold . Some one said lets keep this thing going . Well I am trying . Marvin

If you were to drop down a few sections on this site, I believe you would find all the info readily available on each MP mold group buy. As to what Material MP uses. I have never seen the specs of the exact alloy, but its basic name is there. Commonly referred to as Brass. "Post alive another day" :cbpour: I only use bottom pour.

Ken

Geezer in NH
03-09-2015, 08:21 PM
My advise for 25acp is don't!!!!!!!!!!!!

fatelk
03-09-2015, 10:38 PM
I don't have anything helpful to say regarding molds, but I did consider casting for the little mouse gun at one time. Why? Just because, of course! :)

I wanted to do it mostly to see if I could make it work. I stumbled across dies and a coffee can full of brass at a gun show for something like $10, then a few years later when I was looking into molds, I ran across about 2,000 little 50gr FMJ bullets for less than a good mold would cost. I walked into a gun shop at just the right time and he had just bought a whole bunch of this kind of stuff from an estate for a song, and was glad to turn them quick for a song and a half. It's been a few more years now and I still haven't loaded many of them.

I do have to agree, from the few I have loaded, that loading these tiny things is best if you have sharp eyes and nimble fingers. Other than that, if it strikes your fancy and you want to load it just because you can- go for it!