PDA

View Full Version : Recycler's Exchange: Current Spot Prices

John Boy
03-04-2008, 11:06 PM
http://www.recycle.net/exchange/index.html
Updated daily ...

crabo
03-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Most of the Dallas area scrap dealers are paying $.50 a pound for roofing lead.

mike in co
03-05-2008, 12:39 AM
the prices do not seem to reflect the market in colorado........

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

Ed K
03-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Speaking of local markets, I was at the local gun shop yesterday. In with all the used holsters, once fired brass and other misc used stuff were a couple of buckets of WWs. Sign said: $1.00/lb :roll:

xtimberman
03-05-2008, 11:11 AM
crabo,

Do you know which DFW-area recycler is paying highest brass/bronze prices? I have several hundred #s of brass pipe and scrap I'd like to sell. I get evasive answers from the local recyclers I've called so far. They all seem to want me to come over, so they can lowball what I've got - knowing that driving around looking for best price is counterproductive.

They also want to know what kind of brass I have - yellow, brown, Al-Mg, etc.. When I tell them I have heavy nautical brass pipe that's turned green, they act like they don't seem to know what that means - and I know that's not true.

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks,
xtm

mike in co
03-05-2008, 03:30 PM
there are lots of different brass alloys. cartridge brass is 70/30.
figure that most pricing is bassed on copper content and or demand.
do some research on what alloy you have...call a shipyard or a metal supplier.
while cartridge brass requires an export permit, you'd think that might harm its market...it hasn't.
mike

bobthenailer
03-05-2008, 08:20 PM
one recycler in my area is paying $1.40 a pound for brass or spent primers . this is the highest in at least 3 years that ive been watching the paper at work in the mondays sport section . i sold about 65 lb at $1.35 a few months ago

The Double D
03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
there are lots of different brass alloys. cartridge brass is 70/30.
figure that most pricing is bassed on copper content and or demand.
do some research on what alloy you have...call a shipyard or a metal supplier.
while cartridge brass requires an export permit, you'd think that might harm its market...it hasn't.
mike

Cartridge brass does not require an export permit. Cartridges that have not been rendered unusable do require a permit, brass or other wise. I know, for another 21 days it's my job to look for that permit.

crabo
03-06-2008, 12:05 AM
xtm, I got on the phone and called the ones in the Garland area. I wanted to know what to offer my friend for his lead. I don't want to cheat him or me. I know I can't find any linotype anywhere. WWs are next to impossible. I am trying to look ahead for the future. I'm 55 so I need to stock up about 25 more years worth.

I don't know much about scrap metals, other than to stay away from Garland Steel.

Crabo

xtimberman
03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
Crabo, thanks for the heads-up about Garland Steel.

I'm older than you, so I guess I don't quite need 25years worth, HeHe.... :)

xtm

jleneave
03-06-2008, 05:05 AM
one recycler in my area is paying $1.40 a pound for brass or spent primers . this is the highest in at least 3 years that ive been watching the paper at work in the mondays sport section . i sold about 65 lb at $1.35 a few months ago

You mean to tell me that there is market for spent primers?? All those spent primers that I have been throwing in the trash is worth something??!!..:confused:

blysmelter
03-06-2008, 05:57 AM
Cartridge brass does not require an export permit. Cartridges that have not been rendered unusable do require a permit, brass or other wise. I know, for another 21 days it's my job to look for that permit.

OT, but are you saying that unprimmed carteridges does not require export-permit? Can you point me in the direction of any regulation regarding this?

The Double D
03-06-2008, 07:22 AM
cartridge brass the alloy does not require a permit. Cartridge cases that have been render unusable do not require a permit. (Crushed, smashed, burned etc.)

Cartridges cases of any kind in a usable form including unprimed cases do require a permit.

bobk
03-06-2008, 12:50 PM
One thing stands out is the price of babbitt. At 8% tin, this is a screaming deal. Mix one pound of that with three pound of wheelweights? Are there any contaminants in babbitt that make it troublesome?

Bob K

mike in co
03-06-2008, 10:01 PM
cartridge brass the alloy does not require a permit. Cartridge cases that have been render unusable do not require a permit. (Crushed, smashed, burned etc.)

Cartridges cases of any kind in a usable form including unprimed cases do require a permit.

yep what he said....

for the record..i dont smelt my cartridge brass....its usable cases......

mike in co
THE COLORADO BRASS COMPANY

glicerin
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
bobk: check your tin numbers, most tin based babbit is 80% tin, lead based babbit is about 20% tin.