PDA

View Full Version : Grease and Beeswax Lube

lead_her_fly
03-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I have some high temp Kendall grease. I also have some Beeswax. I am going to mix these two components together and make a lube. Any suggestions on ratios or comments from those that have tried it?

:idea:

mtgrs737
03-05-2008, 12:26 AM
I have some friends that make a lube they call Lith-bee, it is a combination of lithium grease and beeswax. They are using around 40 to 45% beeswax to 55 - 60% lithium grease gun grease by weight. So far the tests are good that they have run and it is simple to make. I havent tried it myself yet but I have some soy grease that I will try when I do.

357maximum
03-05-2008, 01:04 AM
60 to 70 percent b,wax will give you a nice medium hard lube, that can be "driven".

cbrick
03-05-2008, 02:28 AM
The common mix is 50/50. I tested about a dozen grease/bees wax lubes a while back. Results were good EXCEPT . . . synthetic greases. Every single synthetic grease I tried (I think there was three) destroyed accuracy. The rest were from pretty good to so-so. All of them prevented leading.

Rick

softpoint
03-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I've made some lube out of 50/50 beeswax/moly grease. It works very well, but it STINKS.

EMC45
03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Made some the other day with moly wheel bearing grease and beeswax, and a little parrafin thrown in too. It stunk and you have to almost get to the flash point of the grease for it to flow. I had to blow it out a few times. Also burned my finger quite nicely. I used a Mapp torch to melt it all down. I poured it into a Lyman lube tube and I may load it in my 4500 this week. Looked just like Lyman Moly.

lead_her_fly
03-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I've been using a mixture of 50% White Label Liquid Xlox and 50% Beeswax for my normal lube. I am just fooling around to be honest. What I need is a second luber/sizer so I don't have to mess with cleaning mine out to try a new lube, what a hassle!

The only commercial lube available locally is Lyman black lube and man does that stuff make a mess and it smells terrible! To me there is nothing that smells better than 50/50, but I guess I am weird.

Going to a gun show soon so maybe I will pick up a luber there.

I too noticed that you have to have a high temp to get the grease to flow. I used a "double boiler" of sorts. It is a 1lb coffee can inside of a small sauce pan filled with water. The weight of the components keep it in the water for the most part.

Keep the experiences and suggestions coming.

softpoint
03-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I think that the Lyman moly lube is the same stuff Imake out of beeswax and moly grease. Same smell, same consistency. I like the smell of 50/50 , I used a lot of RCBS rifle lube over the years. May not be a better lube that is as easy to make as that beeswax/moly, Could probably put something in it to make it smell better

lead_her_fly
03-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I think that the Lyman moly lube is the same stuff Imake out of beeswax and moly grease. Same smell, same consistency. I like the smell of 50/50 , I used a lot of RCBS rifle lube over the years. May not be a better lube that is as easy to make as that beeswax/moly, Could probably put something in it to make it smell better

Some of your wife's Bath and Body Works Lotion ought to do it! I have been threatening to use some "Warm Vanilla Sugar" in mine!

[smilie=1: