PDA

View Full Version : Closer to Moving Back to America

smokeywolf
03-04-2015, 03:13 AM
I worded the thread title that way because California has long since ceased to politically, socially or morally bear much of a resemblance to America as I knew it when I was a youngster.

In Southern California, if you disagree with raising taxes you're looked down upon as being anti education. If you are against rewarding criminal aliens with driver's licenses and funding their children with money you earned for your own children, you're anti hispanic and have no compassion for your fellow man. If you object to your local police officers being ordered to not only not identify people they run into who are in the U.S. illegally but ignore that fact if they unintentionally find out that they are (L.A.P.D. Special Order 40), then you're a racist. If you believe you should have the right to exorcise your Constitutional rights, including those detailed in the 2nd amendment, you're a radical right wing extremist.
Here's a big one for me, I object to my children being subjected to a public school curriculum that ignores much of the accomplishments of our founders, builders, frontiersmen and military heroes, but goes to great lengths to teach the history and customs of Mexico and Africa and aggrandize the lives of people of lesser success and accomplishment simply because they are or were homosexuals.

Due to new investor and management within the company I was working for, I am again retired and free to move away from the Hollywood movie and TV industry. Also, I've finally received the proceeds from the sale of my rental property.

If we can find the right property in the Mountain Home, Arkansas area or our current second choice, West Plains, Missouri we may be able to make our escape from Kalifornia as soon as this Summer. Would also consider one of the conservative Southern States; MS, AL or LA.
We need to be within 30 minutes of a good high school and 40 minutes of a State University or extension campus of a State University. 15 year old will likely qualify for a sizable scholarship, if not a free ride at a good university.

http://www.homes.com/property/4902-mo-17-west-plains-mo-65775/id-400031825761/

Mrs. smokeywolf fell in love with this place and I can't say that I disliked it. It sold about 6 months ago.

Just emailed a Realtor in West Plains this morning describing what we're looking for.

40 to 120 acres
3200 to 4200 sq. ft. home, preferably to include basement
1,000 sq. ft. workshop
Small barn would be nice, but I can build one if need be.
Would love to have live water or at least a good sized pond in addition to stock tanks
Room and topography for as long a shooting range as possible and practical.
If the geology allows, hope to add geothermal to whatever we move into.

If we don't make it out of Kali this Summer then because of boy's school, will probably have to wait till next Summer.

Getting excited and just had to share.

smokeywolf

PS Paul
03-04-2015, 03:20 AM
I remember a year or two ago when you mentioned on the forum that you were considering MO. I asked on the forum why you still remained in SoCal and you shared about your rental properties keeping you there.
I think I'm truly excited for you, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous, too. I bet you can hardly wait, eh? Good for you guys!!

Cmm_3940
03-04-2015, 05:22 AM
...exorcise your Constitutional rights, ...

You've definitely been in California too long. :-)

freebullet
03-04-2015, 05:33 AM
I'd get out now.

Taylor
03-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Try Tennessee,there is still a lot of rural.

smokeywolf
03-04-2015, 08:25 AM
Thanks Taylor. Although we've looked at just about every conservative State, including Tennessee, we'll look again.

smokeywolf

rond
03-04-2015, 08:36 AM
NW Arkansas is a good place to look, also try Ozark, Clarksville and Russleville area.

ozarkhillbilly49
03-04-2015, 08:58 AM
second on northwest ar. bentonville schools are good. however i won't recommend bentonvile or benton county. carrol, washington and madison counties offer a better value in quality of life. bentonville is the home of walmart and as such must meet walmart standards. there are 2 sets of rules in bentonville. one for walmart and the waltons and one for peasants. hope you do come to the ozarks. many beautiful places left here. some good hunting and fishing to.best wishes from a dumb hillbilly.

lbaize3
03-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Take a look at Alpine, Texas. Beautiful place... wish I was young enough to move there.

Handloader109
03-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Smokey wolf, come on back to the real world.... I'm originally from central MS. Relocated to NWA 4 yrs ago due to work. Just sold my home, shop and some acreage in MS, still own a bit and stand to inherited more, but I don't plan on going back except to visit. I LOVE MS, but I feel like if I lived there much longer I would blow a gasket, or hurt someone. The atmosphere is that if you are white, you owe me (minority) something, my laziness is you fault. I'm not a racist, but I darn sure hate folks with their hands out all the time.
At any rate, mountain home would be good area, anywhere to the north side of the state is good. Most schools are pretty good. My daughter just graduated from UARK, Fayetteville. There is the state run scholarship that she got for 3 yrs, one year residence required to apply. They keep changing the requirements due to low funding, but it is worth applying. I'm in South fay, Washington County has gotten much more restrictive on building codes in past 4yrs, I'm looking for a smaller plot than you, but I'd be looking somewhat East in Madison County. Plenty of land available, double the cost of MS property. Just watch out for the gravel roads, there is an amazing number of them up here:) good luck, holler if you want more information or opinions john

NavyVet1959
03-04-2015, 09:48 AM
If you like mountains, avoid Louisiana, but it *is* called "The Sportsman's Paradise" for a reason. Texas does not have an income tax, but they make up for it with property taxes. The secret to owning a lot of land in Texas (and not being bled dry by the state from property taxes) is to declare most of the land as agricultural and get the "agricultural exemption" on it. With rural land, there are no size limits for shooting on your own land, but if a city eventually expands and claims that you are not in the city limits, you need at least 50 acres here to be able to shoot a rifle or shotgun on your own property at that time, so you might want to plan for this, just in case. Many people thought that they were rural, but the large cities expanded and annexed property and then the property owners found out that they were subject to the typical stupid rules that big cities come up with. I would look up the rules on whatever state you decide to relocate to, just to be safe.

It's a lot easier to find a good place to live when you don't have to worry about the "good schools" criteria. "Good schools" usually means a larger metropolitan area (but not TOO large, otherwise you have the typical inner city school problems). Looking at the demograhics of the area will also give you an indication of whether their might be gang problems.

PULSARNC
03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
North Carolina has everything you are looking for settle in the middle of the state and you are a few hours from the beach or the mountains world call universities think NC State ,Duke and Chapel hill not to forget ECU and Bowman Grey medical school

NavyVet1959
03-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Just remember, the further north you move, the more likely they will have something called "seasons". I've heard that there are places where water will actually form a solid during certain times of the year. :)

Ramar
03-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Smokeywolf,
Can't have too many acres. I've got a retirement place in MO Ozarks with 150 acres and at times it just seems like it's not enough. It does seem much bigger due to a lack of neighbors. I'm still having troubles getting there and I've been retired for a quite many years. But I do have a son living there that's trying to deplete the big mouth bass population along with the deer.

I spent 3 years searching the internet and local realtors and found mine on the way to see a listing. The "For Sale" sign was hard to see from the road and had spent years in the weather but it did have a current ph.# I got lucky...

God luck, it's a buyers market.
Ramar

winelover
03-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Smokeywolf,
Can't have too many acres. I've got a retirement place in MO Ozarks with 150 acres and at times it just seems like it's not enough. It does seem much bigger due to a lack of neighbors. I'm still having troubles getting there and I've been retired for a quite many years. But I do have a son living there that's trying to deplete the big mouth bass population along with the deer.

I spent 3 years searching the internet and local realtors and found mine on the way to see a listing. The "For Sale" sign was hard to see from the road and had spent years in the weather but it did have a current ph.# I got lucky...

God luck, it's a buyers market.
Ramar

Pretty much the way I found my homestead. Realtors are only interested in a sale. They will bombard you with a multitude of properties that don't even remotely meet your criteria.

Good Luck

Winelover

dakotashooter2
03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Follow the light............................................. ..

lancem
03-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Take a look at Alpine, Texas. Beautiful place... wish I was young enough to move there.

I'd have to agree, but then I live there :)

Love Life
03-04-2015, 11:29 AM
The farther east you go, the crappier it gets. I would be Looking to Nevada, Arizon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana.

P.S. It's easier to buy a handgun in California than it is in North Carolina.

NavyVet1959
03-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Pretty much the way I found my homestead. Realtors are only interested in a sale. They will bombard you with a multitude of properties that don't even remotely meet your criteria.

It's a question of what you want vs what you are willing to settle for. What you want might not currently be available, so the realtor might be giving you other options that you might be willing to settle for. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it is a waste of your time. These days, with the internet and realtors nearly always listing the property with the MLS, you are not tied to a realtor like in the old days. I always search for properties myself and then contact the listing agent and tell them that if they want to deal, then they discount the buyer's agent portion since I'm not using a buyer's agent. Assuming the usual 6% broker commission, that's 3% that I get to pocket. Still, I've also stumbled across property that was a "for sale by owner" that I've also bought after driving around a neighborhood looking at another property that had been listed with the MLS.

jmort
03-04-2015, 11:40 AM
I have been looking in the exact same areas, in a more modest way, and have found the help of a local Realtor is necessary as I am 1800 miles away. I am not bombarded with useless information and since she lives there and I do not, I find the local knowledge imperative. I don't foresee an opportunity to spend any significant time on the ground there prior to decision time due to circumstances and logistics. It is nice to get 200 photographs of houses from her that she takes and an opinion of the property and possible pricing for an offer and much detailed information about the property from her directly. Love the detail provided. How nice would it be to stumble across the perfect property for sale by happenstance. Who knows? For now I am quite happy with the services of a local Realtor.

waksupi
03-04-2015, 11:54 AM
When I bought my property, I spent a couple years learning the local micro-climates, and there are a lot of them in the mountains. Once I figured out the best areas, I tried a realtor, and told him my specifications. He kept trying to push larger, more expensive properties, no doubt to boost his commission.
I finally found the property I wanted in the local shopper, being sold by a couple of old hippies. I paid cash, we used a title company, and that took care of it. For what I paid for the property with power and well on it, I figure I paid for those two items, and got the land free.
Check the local shoppers, many have land for sale. Even if you aren't in the area, many of them are online nowadays.

Blood Trail
03-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Come to Texas. We do have a income tax but no state tax. And the only thing liberal here is the gun laws.

Char-Gar
03-04-2015, 12:12 PM
I am truly glad you are finally in a position to join the exodus from California. Of course, as you know Texas is where my heart and *** is and will remain. The downside to Texas if property is much more expensive there than in other places.

If I ever were to leave Texas and was looking for a place like you describe, I would look in Oklahoma. Culture wise it is very little different from Texas, i.e. full of good, independent people. Property costs in Oklahoma are half or less than the same property would cost in Texas. It has a strong gun culture and good laws related to guns etc.

Wherever you light, best of luck to you. Please bear in mind that no place in the US is just the way it was when we were kids. Change is everywhere, you just have to grumble, grouse and ignore the idiocy that is pervasive throughout the entire country.

largom
03-04-2015, 12:29 PM

We moved from Maryland [similar to Calif. ] to Tenn. 2 years ago. Brought my wife, daughter and son-in-law, and two grand daughters. Used money from sale of property in MD. to buy 56 acres, build two new homes, build three pole barns with a couple $ left over. Entire family loves it here. No state income tax, my property taxes are HALF of what they were in MD.
Tenn. is great as long as you stay away from the LARGE cities.

Larry

osteodoc08
03-04-2015, 12:45 PM
I'd seriously look at TN, GA, NC. If you look at my area (Rome, GA) you will find:

1. Top notch healthcare
2. Too notch public and private schools
3. Top rated university and colleges (including Berry University which has the largest private campus in the US and allows HUNTING on it) also Shorter College a highly rated Christian college. Also technical schools.
4. Cheap land in surround areas.
5. 1hr from important hubs including ATL and Chattanooga
6. Affordability

Love Life
03-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Come to Albany, GA. Cheap as dirt to live here, and you get to work on your south Georgia wave.

Char-Gar
03-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Is this about what you are looking for?

http://www.landsofoklahoma.com/oklahoma/land-for-sale/158.13-acres-in-Pittsburg-County-Oklahoma/id/2245762

scarry scarney
03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Char-Gar

That's a nice place. Years ago (and I wont say how many), I use to work the oil fields outside of McAlester, pretty county out there. Good people. That is a place I would consider if I was able to move.

Friends call me Pac
03-04-2015, 01:41 PM
I'm an Arkansas transplant. Came here in 1999 to my new air base. Liked it so much I retired here. I think Arkansas really is a Sportsman's paradise. If you come this way get up with me and I'll show you around central AR.

Clay M
03-04-2015, 01:41 PM
I have some good friends in California but I could never live there. If I were a bit younger and had the money I would live in western Montana or Idaho.I have many roots were I live so I am sure I will remain here for the rest of my life..
Good luck on finding a place you like..There are a lot of good states with good people..

osteodoc08
03-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Come to Albany, GA. Cheap as dirt to live here, and you get to work on your south Georgia wave.
You know N Ga is better......no gnats. LOL

Baja_Traveler
03-04-2015, 01:49 PM
And here I sit, in a cubicle in Glendale Ca longingly thinking about a place in southern Utah that I'll probably never get to retire to...

nekshot
03-04-2015, 02:06 PM
plenty of room here in southern mossouri for people with guns, the others need to keep on looking east.

Love Life
03-04-2015, 02:11 PM
You know N Ga is better......no gnats. LOL

I agree. I was born in Ft. Stewart, and my dad and mother are from Washington, Ga. On the weekends, I can often be found at the Washington Market getting the best Que and stew in the world followed by a trip to Kettle Creek Arms. During the week days I can be found in Albany, Ga doing yard work and honey do's. In 9 years (maybe sooner) I'll be back out west.

Anybody considering moving to the southeast, I highly recommend you take a week to visit and drive around by yourselves...not the guided tour from the person trying to sell you property. One street can make the difference between being in a nice neighborhood, or being in Da' Hood. If you are not from 'round here, then you really could make a big mistake on where you live. Choosing to live rural will save you from that for the most part.

rockrat
03-04-2015, 02:15 PM
If I was to move to some other state, with what I saw last summer in my travels, I think I would contemplate the Cumberland plateau in eastern Tennessee or possibly near Bowling Green, KY. I enjoyed Northern Arkansas too and might even look at West Virginia or southern Virginia, down around Roanoke. Been along time since I went thru Marble Falls, TX, and I should have looked there before I moved to Colorado.
You WILL find out about the 4 Seasons in any of these areas.

I was born in SoCal and can barely stand it to go back and visit. Couple of days and I am ready to LEAVE!!

armexman
03-04-2015, 03:16 PM
I hate COLORADO!
Came here escaping from SoCal; in 2.5 years I will be retiring to Arizona. Wife wanted to move to Texas, and still does, if'n the SIL gets a job upon graduation.

My daughter wants us to follow her and her husband to were ever he finds employment; I said yes, as long as my guns can follow me, if they can't then she can take a SouthWest airlines flight to Phoenix!
Like some I would have to move where there is family, most of my first cousins are retiring to Central AZ.

I hate COLORADO

Char-Gar
03-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Char-Gar

That's a nice place. Years ago (and I wont say how many), I use to work the oil fields outside of McAlester, pretty county out there. Good people. That is a place I would consider if I was able to move.

This place is just a stone's throw out of Hartshorne, which in turn in just 14 miles west of Mcalester which is the country seat. This is where the Choctaw Nation is located as well. My Grandmother who raised me was born in Hartshorne Indian Territory in 1891.

scarry scarney
03-04-2015, 03:39 PM
Yea I hear you. I had family that lived in the "thriving metropolis" of Calvin. The 2000 census showed a population of 279. Good memories of fishing farm ponds and on the Canadian River.

Plate plinker
03-04-2015, 05:58 PM
New Mexico anybody?

Clay M
03-04-2015, 08:19 PM
My cousin owns two ranches in Montana.I go there to visit sometime..He has a thousand acres north of Yellowstone, NP.
That is where I would live if I had his money..I would just trout fish and play guitar..
Maybe elk hunt in the fall off of the back porch.
I wouldn't be drinking this cheap BS wine either..[smilie=s:
I am happy very happy for him.. we grew up together..
His dad happened to be extremely wealthy.

Polecat
03-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Well my 2 cents I live in louisiana I have lived other states, Wisconsin Dacota Minn Michigam, La. has homestead exempt ( no taxes 78,000 value) but, roads are bad. Arkansas would be mycup of tea just saying

smokeywolf
03-04-2015, 09:47 PM
If I had the money, I'd probably be going to Idaho. I like the mountains, forests and lakes, pretty conservative/Constitutionally aware, but I can't afford as much as I want there. Even though Texas holds a strong draw for me and Arizona has the best gun laws (Constitutional carry), I will not settle in a border State. They will all, even Texas, succumb to the illegal alien invasion. The criminal aliens flood across the border, squeeze out a bevy of babies (that they don't pay for) who all become Democrats. In another 20 to 30 years Texas will be controlled by liberals. Another 50 to 60 and it will be another California.
I hope the Texans can forgive me for saying that, but because the federal government, be they Republicans or Demtards, refuse to act in the best interest of John and Jane Q. Citizen and enforce immigration laws, the handwriting is on the wall.

Because we'll be surviving on a very modest monthly income, we'll pay cash for the property, upgrades, enhanced security, livestock, etc., then sock away at least 6 figures for investment income and emergencies. We're hoping to put in at least 5 to 10 acres of orchard which will hopefully generate enough income to offset property taxes, insurance and maybe some utility bills. Hope to have 3 to 6 head of cattle, maybe some swine (no not FineSwine), goats, chickens and/or guineas. Also, nurture the local wildlife and hopefully harvest a little now and then.

smokeywolf

Clay M
03-04-2015, 09:51 PM
I don't really care for hard winters anymore. When I was young I lived to get to hunt in 15F .
The older I get the less I like the cold.. Shoveling snow is not my thing..
So the only way I would do Montana is like my cousin .Live there for half the year..

John Guedry
03-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Have lived in La. all my adult life. Nice place, good folks, great food. The climate isn't too bad, summer is HOT and humidity is high. Other than that good place to live. Having said that I don't think I would live North of the Mason Dixon line. (just me)

texaswoodworker
03-05-2015, 02:33 AM
Come to Texas. We do have a income tax but no state tax. And the only thing liberal here is the gun laws.

Liberal gun laws? :confused:

They've been adding a lot of pro gun laws to the books over the last few years. The only major thing we have is a "no open carry" law and that's probably going to be gone soon.

jmort
03-05-2015, 02:52 AM
He means liberal as in relaxed, good gun laws

texaswoodworker
03-05-2015, 03:24 AM

That makes more sense. :p

NavyVet1959
03-05-2015, 04:10 AM

Actually, we have no state income tax, but we have sales tax and property taxes to make up for it. If you are retired and are just living off the money you have saved up, having a state income tax and minimal property tax would be preferable. When I last lived in Louisiana, my property was appraised at over $300K, but I did not have to pay very much in property taxes per year -- around $1K, IIRC. In Texas, that same $300K would probably result in $7-10K per year in property taxes. Some states have taxes on investment income, some don't. If you have a lot of your retirement savings in stocks, this could be a major concern. The government has a system in place that allows them to separate you from your hard earned money. Whether the state has a state income tax or not, the state is going to be coming for your money, one way or the other.

With respect to Texas gun laws though, let's just say that they are getting better. We're slowly throwing off the last vestiges of the Yankee Occupation after the War of Northern Aggression.

Catshooter
03-05-2015, 04:34 AM
Good on you for escaping the cesspool.

If you can take the cold, South Dakota is nice. I retired here going onto seven years ago and love it.

In many ways it's still 1950 here. No state income tax, four percent sales tax, low property taxes. Housing in most places is cheap.

Farm land is not cheap, seven to eight thousand an acre.

As I type this it's a couple of degrees below zero and that may not suit y'all.

Excellent gun laws. We're working on Constitutional Carry. Until then your permit costs $10 for five years. After you fill out the form, (no pics, no fingerprints, no training required) the sheriff hands you your temporary permit. You get treated like an honest citizen, not a criminal. :)

Good luck with wherever you end up.

Cat

Plate plinker
03-05-2015, 05:45 AM
I like sodak it's cheap but as catshooter said winter can be brutal. Although I believe rapid city is a bit more moderate in the winter. I have family and friends in the foothills and it's great 8 months a year.

Char-Gar
03-05-2015, 09:58 AM
When folks started moving west from Virginia, George, Tennessee and the Carolinas before the Civil War, those that could not read stopped in Arkansas. Those that could read came on to Texas. At least that is what I was told by the old timers. :-)

starmac
03-05-2015, 11:10 AM
If you are drawn to Mo and Ar, do not discount north east Ok. I always thought Anderson Mo and the surrounding area, was some beautiful country.

winelover
03-05-2015, 11:18 AM
When folks started moving west from Virginia, George, Tennessee and the Carolinas before the Civil War, those that could not read stopped in Arkansas. Those that could read came on to Texas. At least that is what I was told by the old timers. :-)

Hay, I resemmble that. I cun read, just cant spel.

Winelover (Mich-e-gun transplant)

Blood Trail
03-07-2015, 02:48 AM

Thank you.

Rufus Krile
03-07-2015, 01:08 PM
CharGar... my father was born in OK, but his older brother was born in "IT" (Tishomingo, to be exact) Hugo is the old capital of the Choctaw Nation. Apparently we've wandered far from home...

Bzcraig
03-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Hoping when I am able to retire I'll still have one more move in me.

Char-Gar
03-07-2015, 11:42 PM
If I had the money, I'd probably be going to Idaho. I like the mountains, forests and lakes, pretty conservative/Constitutionally aware, but I can't afford as much as I want there. Even though Texas holds a strong draw for me and Arizona has the best gun laws (Constitutional carry), I will not settle in a border State. They will all, even Texas, succumb to the illegal alien invasion. The criminal aliens flood across the border, squeeze out a bevy of babies (that they don't pay for) who all become Democrats. In another 20 to 30 years Texas will be controlled by liberals. Another 50 to 60 and it will be another California.
I hope the Texans can forgive me for saying that, but because the federal government, be they Republicans or Demtards, refuse to act in the best interest of John and Jane Q. Citizen and enforce immigration laws, the handwriting is on the wall.

smokeywolf

You are allowing your ideology and perception over rule reality and common sense. No such thing will happen in Texas. You are sitting in California with no substantial experience with Texas or it's people. You are making judgments about Texas without nothing to base that on other than what is in your head. If you are so locked into a way of thinking that excludes reality, then Texas indeed is not the place for you.

Go to Idaho and freeze your *** off! One winter there will show you the error in your thinking. How do I know? I spent a winter in Idaho!

texaswoodworker
03-07-2015, 11:49 PM
You are allowing your ideology and perception over rule reality and common sense. No such thing will happen in Texas. You are sitting in California with no substantial experience with Texas or it's people. You are making judgments about Texas without nothing to base that on other than what is in your head. If you are so locked into a way of thinking that excludes reality, then Texas indeed is not the place for you.

Exactly. Obama and the Dems might welcome the illegal invasion, but Texas responded with gunboats and more manpower. Texas is nothing like California as far as politics go. We don't ban guns and treat gun owners like criminals, we don't tell children to stop wearing clothes with the American flag on them to school because it offends the Mexicans, and we certainly don't allow illegal aliens to just waltz over here freely.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/have-you-seen-the-bulletproof-texas-gunboats-equipped-with-automatic-machine-guns-that-will-battle-drug-cartels-on-the-water/screen-shot-2012-07-04-at-9-26-47-am/

https://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/texas-gun-boat-500-23.jpg?w=499&h=419

GaryN
03-08-2015, 12:25 AM
Now that is how a border should be patrolled.

edler7
03-08-2015, 12:35 AM
The Mountain Home area is nice, but pretty built up from what it was 40 years ago when I first started going there. Good place to retire...good hospital and lots of doctors. Also lots of retirees.

My wife and I go back and float/fish the White River every fall during the autumn colors.

NavyVet1959
03-08-2015, 02:24 AM
Now that is how a border should be patrolled.

But the question becomes... Are they there to keep the Mexicans out of the US or the US citizens out of Mexico?

"May I see your papers, Comrade?"

The Berlin Wall eventually came down. How long before this little sheet metal wall that they put *near* the border succumbs to the same fate? The problem that I have with it is that it is NOT *on* the border, but rather well on our side of it and as such, it inconveniences our citizens who own land down there. If they want to put a border fence, let them put it *on* the border (i.e. in the middle of the river) instead of depriving a land owner of the use of his property.

There are some people who live along the border on land that was issued to their ancestors with the original Spanish land grants. This was before the US was even a country, much less Texas being one. Their families might have owned land on both sides of the Rio Grande and as far as they are concerned, here comes the US and it splits up their family by some arbitrary line drawn on a map. This didn't used to be that big of a deal since the border was rather porous throughout much of its history. I can remember walking across the Rio Grande many years ago and it was no big deal. Yeah *walking* -- the river is so shallow in places that you hardly get your ankles wet.

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 02:41 AM
But the question becomes... Are they there to keep the Mexicans out of the US or the US citizens out of Mexico?

Mostly shoot the poo out of any cartel drug smuggler they come across. At this point in history, I don't think there's much of a problem with the average US citizen trying to sneak across the border to Mexico. It's too dangerous over there.

There are some people who live along the border on land that was issued to their ancestors with the original Spanish land grants. This was before the US was even a country, much less Texas being one. Their families might have owned land on both sides of the Rio Grande and as far as they are concerned, here comes the US and it splits up their family by some arbitrary line drawn on a map. This didn't used to be that big of a deal since the border was rather porous throughout much of its history. I can remember walking across the Rio Grande many years ago and it was no big deal. Yeah *walking* -- the river is so shallow in places that you hardly get your ankles wet.

Well, what are we to do? Mexico is probably not going to let us build the fence around their property on that side of the river (they might be able to get away with fencing their own land though), and if we don't close it off, the illegals are just going to cross there.

David2011
03-08-2015, 04:10 AM
New Mexico anybody?

I'm a native New Mexican. We left NM and moved to Houston when I was 8 when my Dad was transferred. Four years ago I was transferred back to the town where I was born. It would not be a place I would choose to live. The eastern and northwest parts of the state are conservative but Albuquerque and Santa Fe have most of the state's population and those areas are VERY liberal so their vote rules everything. Both of the current senators are very liberal. Check the demographics of Santa Fe and you'll see. It's an art community. There is a state income tax of about +/-5% depending on income. When I retire I do not expect to remain in NM. Texas would be first choice but Alabama, Arkansas and Oklahoma are options. If the job ends before I'm ready to retire, I would seriously consider trying to get a job at the Remington facility in Alabama.

David

NavyVet1959
03-08-2015, 05:07 AM
Well, what are we to do? Mexico is probably not going to let us build the fence around their property on that side of the river (they might be able to get away with fencing their own land though), and if we don't close it off, the illegals are just going to cross there.

As far as I'm concerned, they should build it in the center of the river since any place on our side is in effect taking away land from our own citizens. Some of them come from families who were here before the US even came into existence. They didn't necessary *ask* to be part of the US -- it was forced upon them. I don't own land down there, but I can definitely see their point of view. I wouldn't want the government to be coming around limiting my access to my own land either.

My family lost a few hundred acres of land back in the early 1900s when the government decided to dam up a bayou and make a lake. They claimed imminent domain and paid pennies on the dollar for the land. So, maybe I'm a bit sensitive about the government deciding to basically take your land from you and there not being a thing you can do about it.

smokeywolf
03-08-2015, 06:04 AM

Go to Idaho and freeze your *** off! One winter there will show you the error in your thinking. How do I know? I spent a winter in Idaho!

Char-Gar, I have no doubts or trepidations with regard to the love and loyalty that Texans feel for their Republic. Nor do I doubt the lengths to which Texans will go to protect and preserve their Republic. The depth of love, loyalty and pride that Texans feel for their beloved Republic are what make Texans as a whole, unique among Americans. However, the "minorities" are still diluting the Texas population through a porous border and rates of reproduction that responsible people would not attempt to match.
Good responsible Texans will in all likelihood be outnumbered sometime in the next 20 to 30 years.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/minorities-account-for-nearly-all-u-s-population-growth/
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/24/nation/la-na-census-hispanic-20110325
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-11-population-study_N.htm

We can't win because we won't make babies that we can't be financially responsible for.

The way it's going, I don't see any part of the U.S. remaining safe from the liberal voting offspring of those who know that every baby they produce will be paid for by someone else; someone who works and pays into the system.

Between people with a history and culture that approves of irresponsible reproduction and others who see nothing wrong with producing multiple babies from multiple baby-daddies, we will all be outnumbered eventually. Of course when the takers outnumber the earners, the scheme collapses and society may follow.

By not moving to a border State, I may just be delaying the inevitable.

smokeywolf

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 06:15 AM
Char-Gar, I have no doubts or trepidations with regard to the love and loyalty that Texans feel for their Republic. Nor do I doubt the lengths to which Texans will go to protect and preserve their Republic. The depth of love, loyalty and pride that Texans feel for their beloved Republic are what make Texans as a whole, unique among Americans. However, the "minorities" are still diluting the Texas population through a porous border and rates of reproduction that responsible people would not attempt to match.
Good responsible Texans will in all likelihood be outnumbered sometime in the next 20 to 30 years.

http://www.pewresearch.org/daily-number/minorities-account-for-nearly-all-u-s-population-growth/
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/24/nation/la-na-census-hispanic-20110325
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-02-11-population-study_N.htm

We can't win because we won't make babies that we can't be financially responsible for.

The way it's going, I don't see any part of the U.S. remaining safe from the liberal voting offspring of those who know that every baby they produce will be paid for by someone else; someone who works and pays into the system.

Between people with a history and culture that approves of irresponsible reproduction and others who see nothing wrong with producing multiple babies from multiple baby-daddies, we will all be outnumbered eventually. Of course when the takers outnumber the earners, the scheme collapses and society may follow.

By not moving to a border State, I may just be delaying the inevitable.

smokeywolf

You've been living in California too long. Get away from the Liberal hotspot and you'll see that's not the direction America is heading. Texas won't allow all of those illegals to just take over. First off, they're not even citizens and cannot legally vote. Even if Obama got his executive order to stand, that doesn't mean the states are going to enforce it. Texas has told him to screw off more than a few times...

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 06:21 AM
As far as I'm concerned, they should build it in the center of the river since any place on our side is in effect taking away land from our own citizens. Some of them come from families who were here before the US even came into existence. They didn't necessary *ask* to be part of the US -- it was forced upon them. I don't own land down there, but I can definitely see their point of view. I wouldn't want the government to be coming around limiting my access to my own land either.

My family lost a few hundred acres of land back in the early 1900s when the government decided to dam up a bayou and make a lake. They claimed imminent domain and paid pennies on the dollar for the land. So, maybe I'm a bit sensitive about the government deciding to basically take your land from you and there not being a thing you can do about it.

I don't think sticking it in the center of the river is going to bode well for longevity. Sure it can be done, at the cost of several extra million dollars and a LOT of work preparing the riverbed for it. There's also the issue of that probably destroying the river's ecosystem.

It's just not realistic. We're having a hard enough time just getting the thing build without throwing all of that into the mix.

smokeywolf
03-08-2015, 06:25 AM
texaswoodworker, it's not the criminal aliens that pose the long term threat. You're right, criminal aliens can't vote. But, all those children that they produce and we pay for will vote.

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 06:29 AM
Just the more reason to push them out of the country now. The kids can go with them. They're not our problem to take care of.

jonp
03-08-2015, 06:33 AM
North Carolina has everything you are looking for settle in the middle of the state and you are a few hours from the beach or the mountains world call universities think NC State ,Duke and Chapel hill not to forget ECU and Bowman Grey medical school

NC is being overrun with illegal's and welfare bums. We moved here several years ago and are thinking of leaving already.

smokeywolf
03-08-2015, 06:33 AM
Just the more reason to push them out of the country now. The kids can go with them. They're not our problem to take care of.

Couldn't agree with you more.

kysunfish
03-08-2015, 06:38 AM

Tennessee also does not have a state income tax.

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Couldn't agree with you more.

Let me put it this way. If what you say is true, then it's in our best interest to continue to outnumber the illegals and their children. Which means Conservatives should move here to Texas. Because let's be honest. If Texas goes, the rest of the US is done for. We have so many Reps and play such a huge part in the Presidential election (electoral votes) that the rest of the Conservative states would be in a seriously painful position without us. You wouldn't see another Republican President for years, if ever. That's 38 electoral votes, gone.

There for, your not delaying the inevitable. Your speeding the process up.

smokeywolf
03-08-2015, 07:02 AM
In order to not leave my descendants stuck with a piece of ground smack dab in the middle of a liberal controlled State, your post #69 would have to be acted on. The only way that might ever happen is if Texas secedes.

smokeywolf

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 07:07 AM
In order to not leave my descendants stuck with a piece of ground smack dab in the middle of a liberal controlled State, your post #69 would have to be acted on. The only way that might ever happen is if Texas secedes.

smokeywolf

Well, we are pretty dang independent and I can't say there's too many in the state that like the Federal Government at this point... :P

But like I said, If Texas goes, it doesn't matter what state you choose, the Libs will not have a hard time gaining total control over the executive branch and eventually the judicial branch after they appoint a few more activist judges. The legislative branch would be gridlocked at best.

Your best bet is for more Conservatives to move here and to keep outnumbering the libs.

smokeywolf
03-08-2015, 08:25 AM
You have a point and what you postulate is food for thought.
Unfortunately there is still the issue for me of finding a property of sufficient size, topography, water, mineral rights convey and ag or wildlife exemption in place. Takes as much as 7 years to get the exemption if it's not already in place.

Would love for my sons to attend college/university in Texas, to contribute to Texas. George Madis ("The Winchester Book") lived in Brownsboro. I used to be in touch with his wife, Patty; wonderful woman. She wanted me to buy her 140 acres. Just couldn't quite afford it.

smokeywolf

jmort
03-08-2015, 11:19 AM
The demographics for Texas make it not even a close choice for me.

texaswoodworker
03-08-2015, 05:58 PM

Demographics? Explain.

NavyVet1959
03-08-2015, 08:39 PM
You've been living in California too long. Get away from the Liberal hotspot and you'll see that's not the direction America is heading. Texas won't allow all of those illegals to just take over. First off, they're not even citizens and cannot legally vote. Even if Obama got his executive order to stand, that doesn't mean the states are going to enforce it. Texas has told him to screw off more than a few times...

The problem is that the offspring of illegals end up being citizens, so even if the original illegals can't vote, their offspring will eventually end up voting and as such are likely to be voting in the manner in which they are raised. Unfortunately, that means they will probably be voting for the Handout Party (i.e. Dimocrats).

What we need is a type of citizenship reform such that the offspring of illegal aliens are not automatically citizens. It's bad enough that we have allowed an illegal squatter to occupy the Whitehouse (you need TWO US citizens to make a "natural born citizen"). We need to change the citizenship requirements so that just being born here does not make you a citizen. We need to make it so that at least one of the parents is at least a naturalized citizen before the offspring can be a US citizen.

While we're at it, we might as well tighten up and explicitly say what it takes to be the various types of citizens. I've seen this proposed elsewhere and I'm going from memory, so it's open to refinement, of course...

Natural Born Citizen = offspring of 2 Native Born Citizens
Native Born Citizen = offspring of 2 Citizens PLUS must be born in the US
Citizen = Natural Born Citizen OR Native Born Citizen OR Naturalized Citizen
Naturalized Citizen = person born outside of US, but went through legal immigration procedures to become US Citizen OR person born inside the US to illegal immigrants or visitors and the person goes through legal immigration procedures to become a US Citizen.

NavyVet1959
03-08-2015, 09:13 PM

Texas is such a large place that you can have pretty much whatever demographics you want. There are areas where the average income is high and others where it is low. There are areas that are predominantly white, black, or Hispanic -- take your pick. Inside of Houston, it's pretty evenly split, but with a few percent of Asians tossed into the mix. In one particular county in Texas, nearly 90% of the population is white. If you go to El Paso, you'll find very few blacks and mostly Hispanics and about 14% whites. There's a town up near Dallas that has over 95% white and the median household income was over $128K.

So, which part of "demographics" are you concerned about?

Now, if you want mountains and snow, Texas is probably not for you... :)

starmac
03-08-2015, 09:43 PM
I can remember working construction in Houston when the border patrol raided jobs, and actually hauled the illegals back to Mexico. I also remember that on average those that wasn't ready for a vacation would be back in three days. I can also remember when school teachers south of I 10 did not have to be bilingual to be considered for a job.
Anybody that thinks Texas hasn't changed (not as fast as Cali) is not living in the real world.
I was born and raised in Texas, as my faminy was for several generations, but I watched it change enough, that I hope never to have to live there again, I do not think illegals had that much to do with it near as much as folks moving in by the hundreds of thousands from other states, bringing their thinking of how it was done back where they came from, including on how to deal with the illegals crossing the border, which Texas had dealt with fine since it before it was ever a state.
I also remember how HOT it is in Texas, also how cold the West Texas wind can be. lol

jmort
03-08-2015, 10:03 PM
"So, which part of "demographics" are you concerned about?"

The liberal part. Hispanics vote at least 2/3 for democrats. Plus there are a whole bunch of nitwits moving from california to texas. May take 10 or 20 years, but that is too soon for me.

Much of the discussion about how Democrats are going to “turn Texas blue” revolves around demographic changes, especially immigration reform. Allowing millions of illegal aliens to find a pathway to citizenship will create millions of new Democratic voters. In the meantime, Republican opposition to that plan is said to be pushing Latino voters away. All Democrats need to do is boost their turnout (http://thinkprogress.org/election/2013/05/28/2058031/texas-democrats-blue-republicans/), and the GOP’s Alamo will fall.
Yet there is another demographic change that is bound to have an effect on Texas: the rapid influx of refugees from blue states.
The Manhattan Institute notes (http://www.manhattan-institute.org/pdf/cr_71.pdf) that Texas is the number-one destination for California’s émigré population, for example. It is popular among migrants from other blue states as well, owing to its warm climate, job opportunities, and lack of a state income tax. Over time, that is changing Texas’s political culture.
It has happened in Virginia, where urbane transplants from D.C. and Maryland have moved the state ever-more firmly into the Democratic column. It has happened in New Hampshire, where the motto remains “Live Free or Die,” but where professionals fleeing “Taxachusetts” have shifted the state sharply left. It has happened in Colorado, where liberal arrivals with a taste for the outdoors helped transform the local political culture.
That process will take far longer in Texas, but liberal enclaves in Austin and San Antonio are no longer as isolated as they were a few years ago.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/03/21/blue-state-blues-fleeing-democrats-will-turn-texas-blue/

MaryB
03-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Put in a gate, give the land owner the key, warn them the penalty is huge if the gate is left hanging open unattended.

NavyVet1959
03-08-2015, 11:56 PM
I do not think illegals had that much to do with it near as much as folks moving in by the hundreds of thousands from other states, bringing their thinking of how it was done back where they came from, including on how to deal with the illegals crossing the border, which Texas had dealt with fine since it before it was ever a state.

Yeah, I've long said that the biggest problem we have in Texas in from the other borders, not the southern one. Get rid of the Yankee infiltration and Texas will be a LOT better.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Put in a gate, give the land owner the key, warn them the penalty is huge if the gate is left hanging open unattended.

I remember seeing awhile back an article about the border fence near San Diego. It seems that sections of it are disappearing and ending up being sold to the scrap yards in TJ.

texaswoodworker
03-09-2015, 01:34 AM
"So, which part of "demographics" are you concerned about?"

The liberal part. Hispanics vote at least 2/3 for democrats. Plus there are a whole bunch of nitwits moving from california to texas. May take 10 or 20 years, but that is too soon for me.

Much of the discussion about how Democrats are going to “turn Texas blue” revolves around demographic changes, especially immigration reform. Allowing millions of illegal aliens to find a pathway to citizenship will create millions of new Democratic voters. In the meantime, Republican opposition to that plan is said to be pushing Latino voters away. All Democrats need to do is boost their turnout (http://thinkprogress.org/election/2013/05/28/2058031/texas-democrats-blue-republicans/), and the GOP’s Alamo will fall.
Yet there is another demographic change that is bound to have an effect on Texas: the rapid influx of refugees from blue states.
The Manhattan Institute notes (http://www.manhattan-institute.org/pdf/cr_71.pdf) that Texas is the number-one destination for California’s émigré population, for example. It is popular among migrants from other blue states as well, owing to its warm climate, job opportunities, and lack of a state income tax. Over time, that is changing Texas’s political culture.
It has happened in Virginia, where urbane transplants from D.C. and Maryland have moved the state ever-more firmly into the Democratic column. It has happened in New Hampshire, where the motto remains “Live Free or Die,” but where professionals fleeing “Taxachusetts” have shifted the state sharply left. It has happened in Colorado, where liberal arrivals with a taste for the outdoors helped transform the local political culture.
That process will take far longer in Texas, but liberal enclaves in Austin and San Antonio are no longer as isolated as they were a few years ago.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2014/03/21/blue-state-blues-fleeing-democrats-will-turn-texas-blue/

Texas

2 Senators - Both Republican.

36 Representatives - 25 Republican, 11 Democrat

38 Electoral Votes, all went to Romney

Texas House of Representatives (148) - 97 Republican, 51 Democrat
Texas Senate (31) - 20 Republican, 11 Democrat
Texas Governor - Republican
Texas Lieutenant Governor - Republican
Texas Attorney General - Republican

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa175/Inoljt/texas-2008-presidential-election.png

Yeah, we're so liberal. :rolleyes:

Let's just forget all of those pro gun laws and all those other Conservative laws that have been passed in the last few years. Oh, and let's forget about how many illegals we've deported and removed from our great state. Like I said, California may allow them to waltz on over and take over, but we're more likely to open a can of whoop *** on them.

jmort
03-09-2015, 01:46 AM
I think you missed the point/reality. Today it is all good. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If we are still on this forum 10 to 20 years hence, we can revisit this. I pray that the demographics somehow defy the odds.

texaswoodworker
03-09-2015, 01:57 AM
I think you missed the point/reality. Today it is all good. Let's see what tomorrow brings. If we are still on this forum 10 to 20 years hence, we can revisit this. I pray that the demographics somehow defy the odds.

Considering the odds are just speculation at this point, I'd say we'll still be doing fine in 20 years.

Duckiller
03-09-2015, 02:15 AM
I moved to California in 1965. It has changed a bunch. In the last 50 years most places have changed a bunch and will do so it the next 50 years. Don't stick your head where it doesn't belong and ignore the changes. Some changes you will be able to influence and some will overwhelm you. You can't stop changes but you can influence some of them and maybe even stop some. Be careful what you wish for.

jaystuw
03-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Smokeywolf has crafted an excellent original post that has developed into a very popular thread. Why would he or anyone not want to Escape California , its chocked full of libs, gays, Hispanics and who knows what else. An overload of diversity, Not a safe or sane environment by any standard! (well, except mine)

But here's the deal guys, Look past the Cali Crazyville stuff, old news. Instead, lets look at what Smokeywolfs got going on. He's looking for a new home in America. Anywhere in America. And why not, with a budget of 400 thousand bucks and say another 100 g's for improvements on the property he has a lot of options. And if things go south a little bit and something breaks on his new ranch? well, the 6 figure nestegg covers that. Oh, and a pension check to boot. No worrys!

Sounds good. no, actually it sounds great, its exactly what guys dream about.

Now lets get down to the brass tacks part. The money! That's really what its about. Heck, its what everything is about. How does one generate that kind of money? That's the thing about California that no one is talking about. Smokeywolf, I and all Southern Californians spent our working lives smack dab on top of a gold mine! Who cares if its a crazy lib state, We cash out in the top 15 percent of wealth in the country or better. Yea! who needs the lottery? Thank you California! Jay

freebullet
03-09-2015, 05:35 AM
Smokeywolf has crafted an excellent original post that has developed into a very popular thread. Why would he or anyone not want to Escape California , its chocked full of libs, gays, Hispanics and who knows what else. An overload of diversity, Not a safe or sane environment by any standard! (well, except mine)

But here's the deal guys, Look past the Cali Crazyville stuff, old news. Instead, lets look at what Smokeywolfs got going on. He's looking for a new home in America. Anywhere in America. And why not, with a budget of 400 thousand bucks and say another 100 g's for improvements on the property he has a lot of options. And if things go south a little bit and something breaks on his new ranch? well, the 6 figure nestegg covers that. Oh, and a pension check to boot. No worrys!

Now lets get down to the brass tacks part. The money! That's really what its about. Heck, its what everything is about. How does one generate that kind of money? That's the thing about California that no one is talking about. Smokeywolf, I and all Southern Californians spent our working lives smack dab on top of a gold mine! Who cares if its a crazy lib state, We cash out in the top 15 percent of wealth in the country or better. Yea! who needs the lottery? Thank you California! Jay

That's where your wrong. Not everything is about money. I feel sorry for those to whom it is.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 06:16 AM

Some of us have managed to accumulate more wealth than that and not resort to having to live in a leftist state where everything is ridiculously price (well, maybe other than fresh veggies that are grown in the Imperial Valley). Maybe I don't have a pension, but I've got no debts (all houses, vehicles, etc paid for), live well beneath my means, and have a pretty good portfolio. In fact, I've made over $130K so far this year between my taxable and retirement investment accounts. Last year (2014), it was a bit over $284K. In 2013, it was a bit over $334K. Besides, you have no guarantee that a pension will last. If the company goes out of business, your pension might disappear also. Don't be so quick to think that those of who live in conservative states where we still have a majority of our firearm rights are just some country bumpkins.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 06:20 AM
That's where your wrong. Not everything is about money. I feel sorry for those to whom it is.

Acquiring wealth is kind of like getting the high score on a video game. The pursuit of it is addicting, but in the end, you run out of lives and you are still dead.

NavyVet1959
03-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Here's an example (as if we really *needed* one) of how screwed up Kalifornia has become:

UC-Irvine Students Vote to Ban American Flag (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/07/students-at-uc-irvine-vote-to-ban-american-flag/?intcmp=ob_article_footer_text&intcmp=obnetwork)

Ramar
03-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Freebullet - "That's where you're wrong. Not everything is about money. I feel sorry for those to whom it is."

"to whom it is" will not here you and if they do, will not believe you.....
Ramar

MtGun44
03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
After being born in Cali, I spent most of my adult life in Kansas, and somehow
without the "benefit" of California, managed to put together a good retirement
fund that will let me do what I want in retirement, and move to a house in the
country on some acres where I can shoot and do my other hobbies in my big shop.

I have friends and relatives still in California and visit regularly. I enjoy a lot of things
there, but the overriding low-class Mexican culture that is taking over everything becomes
wearing relatively quickly and we are happy to leave in a week or less. Just going to
a grocery store at 8 pm to pick up something requires running the gauntlet through
dozens of low rider cars with crowds of Mexicans lounging around and playing extremely
loud Mexican music in the parking lot - apparently this is now "their territory" and they
feel free to just take it over. Lots more examples. Sick of it.

Add in the insane antigun laws, taxes and all the other leftist intrusion and my home state
is not where I wanted to be. Even turned down a really interesting job offer
about 20 years ago because I just couldn't stomach selling off a bunch of my guns
because they didn't meet the requirements of the antigunners there and adding
in a 1 hour insane-traffic commute to my life to get to an "affordable" housing area
which was still triple the cost of the same house in a nice suburb in KS near KC
with a 20 minute commute with no traffic jams 99% of the time.

IMO, it is dramatically more difficult to be able to afford both a good retirement
investment and a nice home in most parts of Cali. Choose one - nice house or
retirement investment; due to extremely high home costs, having both is difficult.
Frequently folks have to sell their home and move elsewhere when they retire
because their home IS their retirement, most of their money went into it and
the only way to have it for retirement is to move to a more sanely priced part
of the country. I do know a few that have sold and moved into a tiny home in CA
to access their "savings", but that seems like a sort of sad thing.

In Kansas and many other areas you can have a home AND a retirement investment
and keep that home or upgrade when you retire. I can own NFA items with no state
interest at all, CCW is easy, hangar rents on a nice airport are reasonable, generally they
stay out of your business in most places here.

I do have to shovel snow a couple times a year, and dress warmly about 1/3 of the year,
but so far that is OK by me. California is only for visiting, IMO, and fewer and fewer days
are spent visiting each passing year.

Good memories of living on 29 Mile Drive, hiking in the foothills around Palomar,
and in the Sierras, redwoods and Yosemite, shooting out in the desert, etc, etc. But that
is in the past pretty much for me.

starmac
03-09-2015, 01:08 PM
LOL Jaysouth, I reckon different folks have different goals, I would have left Cali riding my thumb, if that was all I could have managed, and that was back in the seventies. I would probably act like a wetback and risk everything crawling through the desert these days to escape Cali. lol

jmort
03-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Only a liberal could somehow think this state is a disaster and will only devolve from here.

Love Life
03-09-2015, 01:58 PM
I miss California.

jmort
03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
It misses you. You appreciate California with all its warts. If you live in the north, especially the northeast like Alturas it could be a great place.

Love Life
03-09-2015, 02:20 PM
SmokeyWolf is able to purchase his privacy and freedom which makes huge difference as you start to push east. The freedoms of the west, typically are not available in the east.

smokeywolf
03-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Only 1 reason I stayed in California all these years. By my early to mid 30s, because of accrual of pension and other benefits, I was locked in to a career in the motion picture industry.

Because of the instability of jobs in the entertainment industry, you learn early to live well below your income and put as much away as possible for a rainy day. I always put money away with the idea that I might go nearly a year without a job. And, even though I did see a couple of layoffs that lasted nearly a year, I always found some kind of employment so I wouldn't use up my rainy day fund. To make my rainy day money work for me, I learned about CDs, the stock market and real estate investment.

It is true that because of unrealistic property values in California, retirees like myself, see an advantage when liquidating real estate here and buying in a State were the climate isn't so desirable and the overall cost of living is lower.

smokeywolf