PDA

View Full Version : Wine

Clay M
03-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Besides playing jazz guitar,casting bullets,loving classic literature,and cats..
I really enjoy fine wine..
I wanted this thread to be about your favorite wine..Something you would suggest for a nice dinner or evening together with friends.
I try to find a really good wine that is not over the top expensive..
So for this thread,I suggest:
J. Lohr Cabernet..
I appreciate your suggestions

Please delete the thread under Lever Guns..

Thanks.

JWFilips
03-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Sound like a Man from my own heart! I like the south American wines In the reds...from Concha y Toro In PA Our "State Store" sometimes lets the 2.5 Litter bottle go for $9.95! I really like their Malbec when it comes in! I want to go on further: Some times at these prices the Concha y Toro brand produces a fine Cabernet, Malbec and a Fine Merlot ( from Chile) It just has to do with the vintage ! Grab one up if it is good buy a case! That what My wife & I do!

JWFilips
03-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Just so you Know I'm an old dude ,,,still play guitar ( 60's style) when my arthritis lets me ! Like fine wine & cheap Bourbon and Peaty Scotch that is hard core! tasting like band aids!!! That be good Scotch!

Clay M
03-03-2015, 08:34 PM
I don't drink whisky,although I love it very much.Just can't have it..
Only wine or beer .In moderation..
A blues player just can't have whisky.
as Clint Eastwood once said,"A man has got to know his limitations."
I know mine and whisky might as well be heroin ..
Just nice wine,or craft beer.

bubba.50
03-03-2015, 09:02 PM
when I drank wine I liked Pagan Pink Ripple, Strawberry Fields Boone's Farm & if more "kick" was desired Mad-Dog 20/20 or liquor store Muscatel:redneck:.

Floydster
03-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I like Mad Dog 20/20 or Night Train--both come in a brown bag.
Smokeyloads

JWFilips
03-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I understand: Love craft brews: bourbon and Scotch can do you in! But Unfortunately they all have their place with me:.... but then again a child of the 60/70's! Give the wine a try it is good for a good price point! I have tasted French's finest. They sold the grape vines to the So Americas in the late 1700's Early 1800's so they now do a great job with the same grapes!
BTW I love my Cats!

Clay M
03-03-2015, 09:31 PM
I happen to like Jack Daniels straight, but will never drink it again.
I like to split one bottle of red wine with my wife..
I like Cabernet .
I am sure there are other who like wine..
Most women like Chardonnay .
Red wine is good in moderation.
I stayed away from all alcohol for many years..
I guess that may be best for some people,but I don't get drunk on wine.
I just enjoy it in moderation.

Fine wine is an art..
Just something I enjoy, much like reading a Dickens novel.
I love to listen to Jim Hall play guitar,and drink a glass of J Lohr Cabernet..
Just helps me relax and enjoy life.

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
I prefer a good single malt Scotch but a decent red wine goes well with a good dinner and friends.
All of my favorites come from Australia, South Africa and South America. For some reason the equator seems to have become the line for good wine.

My top choices are from Australia with any Cabernet Sauvignon or Shiraz from Penfolds being my number one choice.

South Africa is no longer the great bargain it once was but sometimes a good red wine can be found from there.

South America, almost exclusively Chile and Argentina; continue to produce inexpensive but very good wines. I am always willing to take a chance on a red wine from Chile or Argentina and I am seldom disappointed.

Petrol & Powder
03-03-2015, 10:06 PM
And by the way, Japanese Whisky (they cannot call it Scotch because it is not made in Scotland) is VERY good.
In 1918, Masataka Taketsuru was sent from Japan to Scotland to learn how to make "Scotch". He learned from the best and returned to Japan (with a Scottish wife to boot!). Japan produces some of the best whisky in the world, outside of Scotland of course!

Janoosh
03-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Bubba.50....Boones farm...oh man, I am 16 again.!
I like NYS wines. I live along the Hudson valley wine trail. Lots of good wine there, just need to spend a weekend at tastings. Pinot noir, landon(?) Noir, peach champagne my favorites.

dtknowles
03-03-2015, 11:01 PM
Wine, ahh. I have a couple glass every night. My real weakness is Port but I try not to spoil myself. I hesitate to recommend a wine as I think tastes are personal and what I like you may not and what I bought might not be what you get unless you get the very same vintage. Also because I have not spoiled myself a wine has to be pretty bad for me to not find it acceptable. I am in a mail order wine club, every few months they send me a mixed case of wine. They have only sent me one bottle I did not like. I have only found one bottle that I thought was exceptional considering these are supposed to be like $10 bottles. Camden Place 2012 California Cabernet Sauvignon. I confess I drink mostly California Cabernet Sauvignon as it suits my taste most nights but I do sometimes prefer a Chardonnay. On a hot summer day at the beach I prefer White Zin in a tall glass with lots of ice unless I opt for the Peach Schnapps and soda. If I am in the cold I like either a Cab or a Zin mulled but easy on the clove.

The only hard liquor I am likely to order is Bombay Sapphire and Tonic no lime.

I do love me some Port, I bought a cheap bottle yesterday because I was hankering and they did not have any of the good stuff.

Tim

Clay M
03-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Whisky reminds me of this : enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRax4rrfgiw (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRax4rrfgiw)

freebullet
03-03-2015, 11:20 PM
I've been gathering supplies to make wine.

I really enjoy reds from local vineyards. My current favorite is by soaring wings it's called dragons red it's not exactly cheap, just shy of $20 per bottle. With a fresh grilled steak mmmmmmmmmmmm. I'd rather pay more for something local.

dtknowles
03-04-2015, 12:40 AM
For a while my Dad owned a vineyard on the eastern shore of Maryland and my Brother in Law used some of the grapes to make a Meritage at the local University as part of the Argriculature extension. We have made many wines, it was lots of fun and some were even very good. I have made beer and Mead. It was all good and fun. You should do it and put the experience in the bank.

Tim

KYCaster
03-04-2015, 12:49 AM
Makes me want to run out and buy a box of Zinfandel!

smokeywolf
03-04-2015, 12:57 AM
when I drank wine I liked Pagan Pink Ripple, Strawberry Fields Boone's Farm & if more "kick" was desired Mad-Dog 20/20 or liquor store Muscatel:redneck:.

Your forgot Annie Greensprings and Red Mountain.

Once I grew up and acquired a taste for wine I found out I hated anything sweet, anything that didn't pucker up your mouth from the tannins. Got to have my reds just about as dry as possible. Fresh & Easy markets used to carry an Argentine Malbec vinted by Ambas. It was cheap and very good. Malbecs and Malbec blends are my favorites.

smokeywolf

dtknowles
03-04-2015, 01:00 AM
Makes me want to run out and buy a box of Zinfandel!

I think there is nothing wrong with buying wine in a box. I almost always have a box of Cab on the counter. If I am playing around in the kitchen, I have a glass of box wine going, some in the pan if it seems the right thing to do. I am no snob and I have no shame. If I come over and you serve me box wine I will drink it without complaint. I might serve better at my house for company but that is just an excuse to break out the better stuff to treat myself along with my guests. If you are family you might just get box wine :oops:

Tim

Dryball
03-04-2015, 01:43 AM
On a cold day not much beats a warmed glass of port except for some real buttered rum. For wine I I really like Volant red. It's made near Pittsburgh. I wish my grandpa was still alive...he made the best "Dago red."

Rufus Krile
03-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Bubba.... used to get Pagan Pink delivered to the door in Dallas for $7.50 per case. Cold. Still like Cabernet or Merlot but, since I retired, my new hobby is small batch bourbons. Managed to find and buy a bottle of 'Ol' Rip Van Winkle (15yr) but it didn't hang around long. Daily fare is either Buffalo Trace (from the same distillery as Van Winkle) or Willet's (which is real close to VW recipe). Russell's Reserve is a real good 10yr old and Noah's Mill (out of Bardstown) is a REAL good 15yr old. Jack Daniels, although a good whiskey (without any of the honey or bbq sauce) it's still a Tennessee poser whiskey... not a Kentucky bourbon.

PS Paul
03-04-2015, 01:57 AM
I'm in the wine & spirits business again after leaving the rod & gun business after 13 years. I get to taste A LOT of wines every week, but I gave up drinking 8 years ago! Funny, eh?

When I was still drinking, I really enjoyed Zinfandels from CA. Pinot noir was a close second.... Trouble was, I liked 'em too much. Ha ha!!

MaryB
03-04-2015, 02:53 AM
My older brother makes some good wines but I prefer craft beers.

smokeywolf
03-04-2015, 04:27 AM
Only time I shy away from the heavy tannin dry reds is with poultry. Then I go for a white zin or white cab. The only actual white I've ever found that I liked was a "white table wine" made by Parducci

StrawHat
03-04-2015, 07:42 AM
My wife and I both enjoy red wines but we prefer blends like Claret or Meritage. I also prefer to purchase wines from the region in which I am enjoying them so most of the times, we drink Ohio wins. When we travel, I buy local wines also.

Not to say we do not have a taste for some of the big brands, Coppola Claret is wonderful as is Franciscan's Meritage.

For desert? A glas of Dow's 10 year Port and some dark chocolate.

Enjoy.

Kevin

Wayne Smith
03-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Virginia being the third largest wine producing state I like to visit wineries (they are all over the state) and sample their wines. LOML doesn't like the Cab grape (darn!) we don't buy those any more. We like the soft Italian style reds and many white/pink blends. There is a local winery (Horton) that makes a pear port that is excellent, too.

Clay M
03-04-2015, 10:23 AM
Ménage a Trio's is also a very good label for the money.. Their Chardonnay is excellent .Very smooth with no after taste..
I buy their California Red for a good table wine..
I really like J. Lohr wines. They are not very cheap but, you can fine them on sale occasionally

trapper9260
03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
When I first seen this post i was thinking it was about maken wine , but that is what i do also make root beer and some beer,but rather have the wine i make.I gave up buy wine some years ago and just stick with what I make.It is not all the same kind also,different kinds.

texassako
03-04-2015, 03:11 PM
When I can actually find some, a nice, fresh Beaujolais nouveau around the end of any given November. Otherwise, it has been The Naked Grape brand for a while as a table wine in whatever style I feel like at the time. Quite a change from what I used to drink that my wife described as 'death by tannins' and refused to drink. Cheaper as well.

Clay M
03-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Yeah I don't care for really cheap wine..I can tell you a lot of brands not to buy..There is some good wine starting at about $12 a bottle. The last J. Lohr Cabernet I bought was $12 ,but it is usually a bit more than that.