PDA

View Full Version : A "There I was..." pic

Friends call me Pac
03-03-2015, 02:46 PM
1986 Fly in grizz hunt in the Nebesna mountains of Alaska. 21 years old, bullet proof and no fear. Probably a good thing I never ran across a grizz. This pic may have been the last one taken of me. That me is still in there but is now covered with a few extra pounds of protective layering. Makes up for my slowness and inflexibility. Gotta' do what you gotta' do.

popper
03-03-2015, 02:53 PM
I think I finally got to 150# at 21.

osteodoc08
03-03-2015, 04:28 PM
1986 Fly in grizz hunt in the Nebesna mountains of Alaska. 21 years old, bullet proof and no fear. Probably a good thing I never ran across a grizz. This pic may have been the last one taken of me. That me is still in there but is now covered with a few extra pounds of protective layering. Makes up for my slowness and inflexibility. Gotta' do what you gotta' do.

so how'd the hunt turn out?

Friends call me Pac
03-03-2015, 04:54 PM
I saw moose and a whole lot of Ram Dall sheep. The game warden told my buddies and I if we found the ewes & lambs we would find the bears as they were eating the new born lambs at that time. The day before we flew out we found the ewes & lambs but they were so far away from our spike camp we would have never had time to pack one back to the landing strip if we had got one. I imagine a guided trip would have had better odds than a do it yourself drop in spike camp but I didn't have anywhere near the money for that back then. I lived near Fairbanks and was an Air Force E2 so money was pretty tight. Thinking back on it I think the 3 of us paid $125 each for the flight. The pilots were prior military and really gave us a great deal. They tried to put us on them. I do have fond memories and that will do.

Beerd
03-03-2015, 05:05 PM
I saw moose and a whole lot of Ram Dall sheep.................. I do have fond memories and that will do.

There is an ongoing thread somewhere about "Trophies". I think you got a good one.

Beau Cassidy
03-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Glad you got to do the hunt even as an E2. I remember my MONTHLY paycheck as an E-nothing during basic was along the lines of $640.

bbs70
03-04-2015, 12:49 PM
If I remember correctly mine was 125 a month in basic

CastingFool
03-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Glad you got to do the hunt even as an E2. I remember my MONTHLY paycheck as an E-nothing during basic was along the lines of $640.

My pay during basic training all of $69 per month! Of course that was during the last century.

Pac, thanks for sharing your experience in AK. Would love to go there someday. While in the military, I was once given a choice of assignments, Ft Wainwright was one, maybe I should have picked that one, instead of Ft Benning. lol